Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Speed Engineering headers and Y pipe review. TONS of pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet
I was talking to him yesterday and he said he didn't want to do it on the truck. I assume its to make sure you get a good weld all the way around the tube. My only problem with welding them up before is how do we know they will fit perfectly without them being on the truck... do a couple tack welds and the drop them down and weld them up.

They must know or do something we dont

I'm pretty sure though that the deal is they want to weld the v band on the header out of the truck since it will be straight and perfect like that, and they don't have to fight the y pipe off and on since you/we bring them in already installed. I guess they then somehow figure out the Y pipe. I'm betting they bolt the v band together on the header and cut on the y pipe till it's where they want it, make a tack to the assembled v band then disassemble and full weld the v band to the y then put back together. Which can all pretty much be done if it's already on the truck. I dunno. Whatever.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
They must know or do something we dont

I'm pretty sure though that the deal is they want to weld the v band on the header out of the truck since it will be straight and perfect like that, and they don't have to fight the y pipe off and on since you/we bring them in already installed. I guess they then somehow figure out the Y pipe. I'm betting they bolt the v band together on the header and cut on the y pipe till it's where they want it, make a tack to the assembled v band then disassemble and full weld the v band to the y then put back together. Which can all pretty much be done if it's already on the truck. I dunno. Whatever.
If I had a welder I wouldn't mind doing it myself. As long as there are no leaks, they don't need to be the prettiest welds on the planet.

I guess it really wouldn't be that bad to have it welded up off the truck... just makes me nervous on alignment for the catback.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet
If I had a welder I wouldn't mind doing it myself. As long as there are no leaks, they don't need to be the prettiest welds on the planet.

I guess it really wouldn't be that bad to have it welded up off the truck... just makes me nervous on alignment for the catback.
I agree. You'd need a chop saw to make perfectly straight cuts on the Y pipe. I had access to a welder when I got mine and have thought and thought about this on how to do flanges. But there's no way to make a 100% perfect straight cut through the header or y pipe with it still on the truck. You don't need to cut the headers, just the Y pipe, but the cut has to be perfectly straight. That's the part I keep getting hung up on when I try to do this in my head.

As for the cat back alignment. If your y pipe is cut perfect it will align right to where the cat back will be a non issue. If the y pipe is cut funny and ends up and an angle that's gonna be the issue.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh and lol, if anyone is wondering.. someone mentioned the blocks of wood stacked under the front suspension.. this was NOT holding the truck up. That was there to get the control arm up high enough so I could get the wheel on and off the hub with the ramps there.

There were jack stands under the frame holding the truck up. Plus I like stacking everything I can find under the truck in case of an oh **** situation. I had two jack stands, two jacks, ramps, and blocks of wood under it. I usually also have the wheels and tires under the truck while working on it.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I always stack stuff under my truck encase something bad happens.

I had a first cousin die from a old Cadillac that fell off the jack. He survived after it fell but a day later died from complication in the hospital.

Then a local boy was working on a big rig and while he was under it. The big jack they use to lift those trucks failed and he didn't have anything else holding it up.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn man that's hard to hear. Sorry to hear about your cousin.

I had just a jack under a car one day when I was 17 and my dad came out and gave me an ear full. Ever since I put the wheels and tires under the car if I can't find anything else. But usually it's whatever I can find near me goes under it.