Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Recall..............

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Recall..............

Is anyone closely familiar with is recall?

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...on/2284003001/

While I'm personally impressed with the braking performance on my 2016 I have noticed what seemed like a delay at a parking lot speed, reminiscent of a 2004 Escalade I had experienced a similar issue in. Could I just walk into the dealer and mention this, or would I need some paper from GM directing the dealer to address this issue...……...
Old 09-11-2019, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I wonder if there will be a limit on mileage to get the recall done for free. I was just going to do it myself. Buy hey I'll take free parts and labor.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

The recall is stupid. The vacuum pump needs to be replaced. Follow me for a minute and keep reading and you'll see what I mean.

The recall is a reprogramming of the brake module. When the issue is in the vacuum pump getting weak.

I knew about this previously and slapped a new delco vacuum pump on my truck right after I got it.

It even says in the article that the vacuum pump performance depletes yet since they don't fail they are opting to not replace them. Stupid *** idea. No thanks. They are putting a band aid on the issue and saving money by making another pump in the system work harder to compensate for decreased performance from the vacuum pump. Screw that.

Edit: It doesn't say it in the article you posted. I read a much more thorough article on it before I saw this post.

MORE DETAIL

GM says that as it ages, the pump in the power-assist brakes can put out less vacuum power than needed, increasing stopping distance and the risk of a crash.

The recall comes after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began investigating the problem in November of last year.

Dealers will recalibrate the electronic brake control module at no cost to customers. Owners were to be notified starting Sept. 6.

NHTSA, the government's road safety agency, began investigating the problem last year after getting 111 complaints from owners of poor brake performance. At the time the agency had nine reports of crashes that had caused two injuries.

GM says the problems occur rarely and mostly at low speeds like driving in parking lots. Even with the problem, the brakes "continue to function and exceed the requirements of the appropriate federal motor vehicle safety standard," GM spokesman Dan Flores said.

The vacuum pump is lubricated with engine oil that flows through a filter screen. In some of the trucks, oil sludge or other debris can clog the screen, reducing oil flow and causing the pump's vacuum output to drop, Flores said.

The trucks, he said, have a secondary power brake assist system which works when there are problems with the main system, but it is limited at lower speeds. The reprogramming will activate the secondary system faster.

GM isn't replacing the pumps because pump failures are rare and already are covered by an extended warranty, Flores said. "This remedy will improve brake performance in any situation where brake vacuum drops," he said.

(so they're putting a band aid on a failing vacuum pump)

The recall comes 10 months after NHTSA opened its investigation. Asked why it took that long to do the recall, Flores said only that the company has been cooperating with NHTSA and providing data.

Drivers could feel a vibration in the brake pedal or a change in pressure required to push the brake pedal if their trucks have the vacuum pump problem. If the problem surfaces, owners will see a message on their dashboard telling them to service the brake assist system, Flores said.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 09-11-2019 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Feed (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
(so they're putting a band aid on a failing vacuum pump)
Band aid fix...just like the triple fluid flush for the 8l90e.

So will you have any idea if your vacuum pump has failed after reprogram?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

This is worse. Changing the additive package in automatic trans fluid can alter the way it shifts, so the fluid change over is actually effective. This brake thing is just stupid.

However a triple flush sounds ridiculous. A full flush with updated fluid does help the 8 speed. Triple flush necessary though? Doubt it.

You should be able to tell if the vacuum pump fails. These trucks have vacuum assisted brakes like cars have since the dinosaurs roamed, and if it fails you'll have no brake boost. So they are relying on the ABS pump to become your brake assist here and compensate for a weak vacuum pump. How will it feel when the vacuum pump fails completely with the new programming? Who knows... But on having the ABS unit become my booster.. Yeah that's what I want is my $1500 abs module doing all the braking all day and wearing out early to keep from having to change my $100 vacuum pump Good plan GM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

It's about as good as the recall for the rear window defroster on all trucks in Canada and the block heater on the Duramaxes. Pull the defrost fuse and cut off the cord end lol. Can't wait to see what actual fixes they come up with... for the windows I am guessing a solid rear window and you get to lose your power slider.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
It's about as good as the recall for the rear window defroster on all trucks in Canada and the block heater on the Duramaxes. Pull the defrost fuse and cut off the cord end lol. Can't wait to see what actual fixes they come up with... for the windows I am guessing a solid rear window and you get to lose your power slider.
Haven't heard of those i'll have to look into them..
Old 09-12-2019, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Haven't heard of those i'll have to look into them..
You won't as you live in the US.... That said the problem with the defroster and the block heater is something for both countries whether the recall is released in both or not. Plenty of state side guys have had their rear windows blow up or try and start on fire too. The block heater is a fire thing too.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Just got my recall notice and I've gotten others as well but I've never taken it in. I do not believe there is a deadline on getting it done. When I had my ZO6 the dealer, Vandergriff Chevrolet in Arlington Tx took it out the day they had it and put ~ 120 miles on it joy riding. It only needed a 2 mile ride on the hwy. to find the problem so I don't trust dealers at all. I need to check with Sam Miller (tuner) before I take it in because I'm afraid they'll have to flash my truck and I don't want them to blow my engine up. You know they wouldn't do the right thing if they did.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Just got my recall notice and I've gotten others as well but I've never taken it in. I do not believe there is a deadline on getting it done. When I had my ZO6 the dealer, Vandergriff Chevrolet in Arlington Tx took it out the day they had it and put ~ 120 miles on it joy riding. It only needed a 2 mile ride on the hwy. to find the problem so I don't trust dealers at all. I need to check with Sam Miller (tuner) before I take it in because I'm afraid they'll have to flash my truck and I don't want them to blow my engine up. You know they wouldn't do the right thing if they did.

They'll be flashing the brake control module not the engine control module. Either way don't do it. If your brake pedal ever gets hard to push, put a new vacuum pump on it. It's pretty easy to do. I did mine about a month after I bought my truck because I heard they do go bad and I don't F around when it comes to brakes.

I've driven one of these 14+ trucks when the vacuum pump was bad. It still stopped but required extra effort on the pedal. Very noticeable, you'll know it if it happens to you.

And to be fair, if you left me a Z06 it would probably get more than 2 miles put on it too lol. I fully agree it would be shitty and I've felt shitty every time I took a bad *** car on a extra test drive.. Not during the test drive but when I was done Felt just horrible about it

Quick Reply: Recall..............