Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Nitto 420v vs Toyo Proxes ST3

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

It always makes me smile when people complain about a street tire being loud!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Navi (04-25-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t know if they are loud or not or how they ride that’s just what I’ve seen on some forums and Facebook posts. I haven’t found much on the ST3 though.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
It always makes me smile when people complain about a street tire being loud!!!!
LOL same man.

You think that street tire is loud... try a 35" mud terrain on the highway at 85mph.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 765 Likes on 535 Posts

In a truck I'd imagine it's not much but in a car I can definitely tell a difference in tires and road noise. Goodyear run flats are noisy tires on my charger. Bfg sport comps are far quieter.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Most tires are a compromise, usually we're worried about treadlife or traction - you pick one or the other. I've worn through several sets of all 3 Toyo Proxes models made, the S/T, ST 2, and just put a pair of ST3's on the back of my wife's SS since the 2's are obsolete now. Literally just today ordered a set of ST3's for my SS to replace these garbage Nitto 421Q's that have gone all lumpy and weird.

The Proxes are good tires but IMO they lean more towards treadlife than traction.. I like 'em because they're a decent mix of both while not being amazing in either category, and they're not expensive. Most of the ones I've seen are made in USA which is important to me, may not be to others. At least the sizes I've been getting are all XL load rated, too.

If you get the Proxes be sure to buy them from an authorized Toyo dealer. I've seen on eBay there's a whole lot of Proxes S/T (original model) for sale as new, just go ahead and ask the seller for the date codes on the tires. I have and none of them answer back. That tire hasn't been made for over a decade afaik and the ST2's are discontinued as well. I looked at someone selling the ST3's at a discount price and the seller is listed as being in Hong Kong (tires are warehoused in CA). Wouldn't put it past them to be bootleg tires. I paid just a couple extra bucks to get them from Discount Tire instead.

Richard

Last edited by someotherguy; 04-14-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Most tires are a compromise, usually we're worried about treadlife or traction - you pick one or the other. I've worn through several sets of all 3 Toyo Proxes models made, the S/T, ST 2, and just put a pair of ST3's on the back of my wife's SS since the 2's are obsolete now. Literally just today ordered a set of ST3's for my SS to replace these garbage Nitto 421Q's that have gone all lumpy and weird.

The Proxes are good tires but IMO they lean more towards treadlife than traction.. I like 'em because they're a decent mix of both while not being amazing in either category, and they're not expensive. Most of the ones I've seen are made in USA which is important to me, may not be to others. At least the sizes I've been getting are all XL load rated, too.

If you get the Proxes be sure to buy them from an authorized Toyo dealer. I've seen on eBay there's a whole lot of Proxes S/T (original model) for sale as new, just go ahead and ask the seller for the date codes on the tires. I have and none of them answer back. That tire hasn't been made for over a decade afaik and the ST2's are discontinued as well. I looked at someone selling the ST3's at a discount price and the seller is listed as being in Hong Kong (tires are warehoused in CA). Wouldn't put it past them to be bootleg tires. I paid just a couple extra bucks to get them from Discount Tire instead.

Richard
Thank you. First time I’ve actually seen someone give a detailed answer about the ST3’s. I have noticed when doing some research of them some sites looks really sketchy.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:15 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Most tires are a compromise...
snip...since the 2's are obsolete now.
snip...the ST2's are discontinued as well.
I agree on the compromise.

Last set of tires I had were the Hankook Ventus V12 that lasted a little over 10 years. Still had about half tread life but I've read 7 years is the max life stored in optimal conditions. I could throw the truck around in turns and they always stuck with zero squalling. Dead stop then wot... traction was ok not great. I find the Proxes ST very similar in performance and wear.

I must have just gotten in before the Proxes ST were discontinued. Bought a set September 2019 and the date codes are 1319 (March 2019) so they were only six months old when mounted. My junk never sees the track so the harder compound and longer life is more to my liking.

Nitto 420v vs Toyo Proxes ST3-piduwxv.jpg

Nitto 420v vs Toyo Proxes ST3-ar4lsi4.jpg
Old 04-14-2020, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had set of Toyo ST3's for about a year now and really like them. Not loud, and not hard riding like the 1st Toyo Proxies. My 15' Silverado Crew came with the 22" wheels and wanted wider tires than the 285's from the factory so I went with a 305/40. I really like how the tires flow with the factory concave wheels. I also like the tread and sidewall. Don't really drive the truck much but have maybe put about 5k mi on the tires so they are basically still new. I will be looking to get a set for my Tahoe soon as well. I have attached some pics, please excuse the dirty truck. Oh, and the curb rash on the wheels were already there when I purchased the truck used.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Ive had ST3’s on for awhile as well, my main complaint is they seem to pick up alot more rocks than other tires ive had for some reason, id also probably agree nittos would hook better since they are usually softer but thats just a guess as mine are on low hp awd truck.
i wasnt impressed with toyos in the snow either but they are labeled summer tire and i took a gamble buying them knowing that.
otherwise happy with them so far
Old 04-15-2020, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
I agree on the compromise.

Last set of tires I had were the Hankook Ventus V12 that lasted a little over 10 years. Still had about half tread life but I've read 7 years is the max life stored in optimal conditions. I could throw the truck around in turns and they always stuck with zero squalling. Dead stop then wot... traction was ok not great. I find the Proxes ST very similar in performance and wear.

I must have just gotten in before the Proxes ST were discontinued. Bought a set September 2019 and the date codes are 1319 (March 2019) so they were only six months old when mounted. My junk never sees the track so the harder compound and longer life is more to my liking.
Curious! Where did your ST's come from? An authorized Toyo dealer, or some online seller? I was really surprised to find one of the sellers offering ST's recently is located in Hong Kong, seems odd for someone selling tires supposedly made in the USA, doesn't it? I also find it odd that ST2's don't seem to be offered anywhere these days, but ST's and ST3's are. You'd think if the ST's I asked about on eBay were legit the seller would have responded with some example date codes. A lot of tire sellers avoid the extra questions by putting that info right there in the auction.

Richard

Quick Reply: Nitto 420v vs Toyo Proxes ST3