Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Looking for advice on a new truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 765 Likes on 535 Posts

True but the other stuff is mandatory which is why I said that. Either way I agree with you. Ford's are expensive to work on and a pain in the ***. It's one of the reasons I'm considering getting rid of my wife's explorer and letting her have the truck. I can fix the truck. I can't even get my arms in to change the air filter on her car.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I hear that man
Old 09-19-2019, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS

As for the valves needing to be cleaned.. click the link below with pictures of my valves at 117k when I pulled the intake off. The valves needing to be cleaned isn't an issue on these trucks. Other direct injected vehicles do have problems with it but GM did a great job of designing valve events just right and the PCV system to keep valve coking at a minimum.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...e-also-552370/
That's good to know. I'm at 65k and wanted to keep this truck well past 100k.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

These are mine at 130k'ish with no catch can.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
It's not $400 for a cam anymore. Not in this model year. Last I priced it it was over a grand not installed.
Yeah it wasn’t a great example I know. But in general you can probably add more horsepower for your dollar with the GM. I had a chance to drive a couple today. They were both crew cab, one 4x4 and one 2wd. I really wanted to love it but I just didn’t. I liked them but I didn’t love them so I’m gonna keep driving crap until I find something I do. Part of it I think is the prices they had on them. The 4x4 had 80k on it which I knew I didn’t want but just wanted a test drive. The other was a 2017 and they wanted $31990 for a pretty basic LT with 40k miles. I don’t know if that’s a bad price or not but I paid $27k for my CPO F150 and it was pretty loaded with 60k miles.

Im not trying to be a troll I’m just frustrated today lol.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

First things first, the crew cab puts a big premium on price. You can get a lot of truck for a considerably lower amount if you do a extended cab. I have a crew cab and wouldn't buy an extended but just keep that in mind.

With the GM truck focus on if you like the looks, ride, interior etc. They are pretty slushy/wimpy feeling out of the box and a tune makes them feel a lot better (power and trans wise). Especially if you get a e85 capable truck and do a e85 tune.

If you want a nicer truck you'll need to look at the LTZ chevy or SLT GMC. Those have the bigger face stereo, bose system, center console etc.

They're all expensive though. 31 for a 17 with 40k seems like a good price to me, but it really depends on options.

If I didn't have to work on Fords, I wouldn't hate them. The recent ones are getting really really nice inside and they do roll out really good. You're not gonna like how the GM trucks feel compared to the eco boost stock for stock though. I work on the eco boost trucks sometimes and the only thing I WAS jealous of was the low end roll out. Now my truck rolls out like that with simple mods and a tune. When it was stock it was a dog. The little bit of stuff I have done made it pick up 20 mph over stock at my test spot which is huge. The test spot is a stop sign to another road marker about 1000 feet apart.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that’s what my problem is. I had gotten used to the low end power. I was thinking about a tune when I was driving the Chevy and wondering how much of a difference it would make. It wasn’t bad at all it just kind of felt like I was pulling a trailer lol. I think just for the hell of it I am gonna drive a Coyote F150 just to see how it compares.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 2014 crew cab 4wd ltz z71 with every option but sun roof had a 116k miles and it was $25k. By the time I paid tax title and license and added the extended warranty I was at $30k. Boggles my mind that a half ton costs so much and holds value so well considering how flooded the market is with them. Nice thing is is that the market is so flooded with these trucks that even if the engine or transmission blows up I can easily find a pull out to replace it with and it's a fairly straight forward swap on the Chevy. The Ford I'll have to shove my 3yr old in the engine bay to get to anything.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
My 2014 crew cab 4wd ltz z71 with every option but sun roof had a 116k miles and it was $25k. By the time I paid tax title and license and added the extended warranty I was at $30k. Boggles my mind that a half ton costs so much and holds value so well considering how flooded the market is with them. Nice thing is is that the market is so flooded with these trucks that even if the engine or transmission blows up I can easily find a pull out to replace it with and it's a fairly straight forward swap on the Chevy. The Ford I'll have to shove my 3yr old in the engine bay to get to anything.
Yeah big hands ain't all it's cracked up to be lol. I think the new vehicles are assembled by women or orientals. No offense intended just stating the obvious if that is allowed anywhere nowadays. I am now a fan of earlier models with low mi in perfect condition. Wish I had a slew of my trucks, 99 exsb, 03 exsb, 05 rcsb, 06 rclb 2500, 07rcsb, 2010 duramax excsb, 14 rcsb. I'm done with new one's unless they make a rcsb 6.2 10spd 4wd. The coming Rivian is rumored to do 400 mi and 0-60 < 3 sec. Earlier models ftw.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

That rivian is sweet. I'm not ready to jump ship just yet but if it's everything it's said to be and holds up for the test of time I'd be interested in one. Maybe by then the used market will have some at a decent price.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on a new truck