Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Flapper off...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Are you already pretty familiar with the MPG the truck gets say on a normal route? I'm curious to see what you'll see MPG wise. Again I also recommend replacing the muffler right next to the flapper because the pipe necks down there and because that muffler is chambered. The straight through magnaflow add's the slightest amount of sound where it's actually really hard to tell any change was made. But it's nice and far from annoying.

Your color truck and those wheels look damn good together btw
I'm currently getting around 16-17mpg. I still have the DOD system up and running. Probably will until my warranty runs out at 60,000. It runs in and out of v4 mode only on flat roads when maintaining speed. If I baby it I can probably get 20mpg on these flat Florida roads. I do wish to have a slightly louder exhaust system.

Thanks man for the complement. When I first seen the combo online I knew that was the truck I wanted. I love it, just having some typical vibration issues at 75-80mph and it vibrates at idle which I think is because it idles too low (right at 500rpm). Plus im dealing a little with the torque converter issue that happens with the 8l90e.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:00 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Technically you shouldn't need a tune from it. Never a bad idea to look at the tune though when you make changes. And deleting the flapper and going to a straight through increases flow a considerable amount.

All that being said, I'd get it tuned ASAP because there's a decent amount of power and MPG left on the table on the stock tune.
I've been running mine pretty long without tune after the muffler and flapper delete. It doesn't like 87 octane as much anymore, but I always run 92.

So did you delete the resonator too? Hows the sound/volume?
Old 01-29-2019, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc00by
I'm currently getting around 16-17mpg. I still have the DOD system up and running. Probably will until my warranty runs out at 60,000. It runs in and out of v4 mode only on flat roads when maintaining speed. If I baby it I can probably get 20mpg on these flat Florida roads. I do wish to have a slightly louder exhaust system.

Thanks man for the complement. When I first seen the combo online I knew that was the truck I wanted. I love it, just having some typical vibration issues at 75-80mph and it vibrates at idle which I think is because it idles too low (right at 500rpm). Plus im dealing a little with the torque converter issue that happens with the 8l90e.
I bet removing the flap won't hurt the warranty. I doubt they would even notice. But I understand worrying about losing warranty.

When I first got my truck it idled a bit rough, I did a top end cleaner on it and it got smoother. They do idle normally around 500, I think it's actually 550 so I don't think you have low idle, and if you did you should have a check engine light on for idle speed issues. Does your truck vibrate at light throttle at those speeds or under throttle? Mine vibrates from 50-60 but only under heavy throttle.

Originally Posted by JRoyPDX
I've been running mine pretty long without tune after the muffler and flapper delete. It doesn't like 87 octane as much anymore, but I always run 92.

So did you delete the resonator too? Hows the sound/volume?
Interesting it doesn't like 87 anymore, the flapper stops up a lot of the pipe so IMO it's worth taking a look at the tune once removed.

I kept the resonator when I did the flap delete and magnaflow. It was perfect if you like it quiet. I could hear it fire up in the house and there was a very nice deep tone to it but in the truck you can only hear it at the lightest amounts of throttle, once you actually accelerate you don't hear it really. Not enough to even get close to having a drone situation at cruise. I loved it. If you want to see how loud it is with the resonator out and you have a muffler swap done, start it up before they weld the rear section of the pipe back on. I considered doing that but didn't.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I would recommend taking a look at the tune on these trucks with exhaust changes. I was really surprised in the difference before and after the tune when I did headers. My truck was already tuned and I slapped headers on it. At my test spot it did the same MPH untuned with headers as it did before the headers, and it feel kinda lazy too. After the tune was adjusted for the headers it picked up 3 MPH on average. I've hit that spot a few times. One day it was around 4 MPH higher another 2-3 so I'll call it 3. Surprisingly the tuner said it was a bit rich with the headers.. Not what I expected at all.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:28 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Interesting it doesn't like 87 anymore, the flapper stops up a lot of the pipe so IMO it's worth taking a look at the tune once removed.
These trucks are pretty rich out of the box, I logged WOT air/fuel in the mid 10:1 range so no addition of exhaust or intake is really going to change that enough to be a danger. I did lean it out some with HP Tuners, nothing drastic. WOT fuel is now around 11.8-12:1. I never added timing or played with cam timing at all, those are still stock numbers.

I kept the resonator when I did the flap delete and magnaflow. It was perfect if you like it quiet. I could hear it fire up in the house and there was a very nice deep tone to it but in the truck you can only hear it at the lightest amounts of throttle, once you actually accelerate you don't hear it really. Not enough to even get close to having a drone situation at cruise. I loved it. If you want to see how loud it is with the resonator out and you have a muffler swap done, start it up before they weld the rear section of the pipe back on. I considered doing that but didn't.
I actually have no muffler at all. I have just the resonator and I often think I'd like it to be a little louder.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JRoyPDX
These trucks are pretty rich out of the box, I logged WOT air/fuel in the mid 10:1 range so no addition of exhaust or intake is really going to change that enough to be a danger. I did lean it out some with HP Tuners, nothing drastic. WOT fuel is now around 11.8-12:1. I never added timing or played with cam timing at all, those are still stock numbers.

I actually have no muffler at all. I have just the resonator and I often think I'd like it to be a little louder.
Not surprised. I fired mine up at the shop with the catback disconnected and just the stock manifolds and y pipe on it and it wasn't that loud at all. I wan't mine louder but I don't want it to drone on the highway or when pulling the boat. So I'm torn on what I want to do next. Right now I have stock 6.2 exhaust on it with the flap cut out and I can hear the exhaust going through the thin *** Y pipe/tiny amount of leaks I still have louder than the cat back. It's super annoying.

The 3 cats quieten down the exhaust a lot. I fired it up open headers and of course it's loud as hell. I figured the catback would be louder than it is since I now have long tubes and no cats, but still super quiet considering the setup.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:26 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Not surprised. I fired mine up at the shop with the catback disconnected and just the stock manifolds and y pipe on it and it wasn't that loud at all. I wan't mine louder but I don't want it to drone on the highway or when pulling the boat. So I'm torn on what I want to do next. Right now I have stock 6.2 exhaust on it with the flap cut out and I can hear the exhaust going through the thin *** Y pipe/tiny amount of leaks I still have louder than the cat back. It's super annoying.

The 3 cats quieten down the exhaust a lot. I fired it up open headers and of course it's loud as hell. I figured the catback would be louder than it is since I now have long tubes and no cats, but still super quiet considering the setup.
I considered deleting the 3rd CA emissions cat.

I also have a set of Pacesetter long tube headers. I cleaned up the ports (horrible welding and construction at the flanges) and removed the collector flanges, then replaced them with marman flanges, now they're waiting to go to the ceramic coaters. Out of the box those things are kinda junk, but they should be pretty good with my added work to them. I got them dirt cheap with an off-road y-pipe (that looks like complete trash) as well. I'll likely have a new y-pipe custom made when I do the headers and exhaust someday.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Sounds typical of pacesetter honestly
Old 01-30-2019, 02:29 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Sounds typical of pacesetter honestly
So I've heard... only reason I have them is because I got em for very little $
Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Speaking of welds etc. The speed engineering headers were far beyond expected. All the welds etc were flawless.

I hear ya on the Y pipe and cutting out the cat. But hell if you're just gonna replace it might as well leave it. I have to come up with something for flanges, I haven't looked into them enough yet. I have eliminated 99% of my leaks but I don't think there's a way to have a 100% leak free slip fit.

Quick Reply: Flapper off...........