Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Flapper off...........

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake75
I had the biggest magnaflow muffler they made on it and it was still too loud for my liking on a daily driver. I found this full stock exhaust on craigslist for 80 bucks so i jumped on it. Happy with it so far. more so after that flapper is gone
Hey keep us posted after ya get the flapper off...……..

Old 02-01-2019, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I had the biggest magnaflow muffler they made on it and it was still too loud for my liking on a daily driver. I found this full stock exhaust on craigslist for 80 bucks so i jumped on it. Happy with it so far. more so after that flapper is gone
In a way I'm glad you said that, I'm really debating doing a large case Magnaflow right now on my exhaust. On the 5.3 exhaust it was great. But now I have the 6.2 exhaust and it's as loud stock as the 5.3 exh was with the Magnaflow. I hate not having a straight through but I also do not want this truck to be loud. A little sound is fine, but loud isn't.

Which exh are you running? I'm assuming the 6.2 catback?
Old 02-01-2019, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
In a way I'm glad you said that, I'm really debating doing a large case Magnaflow right now on my exhaust. On the 5.3 exhaust it was great. But now I have the 6.2 exhaust and it's as loud stock as the 5.3 exh was with the Magnaflow. I hate not having a straight through but I also do not want this truck to be loud. A little sound is fine, but loud isn't.

Which exh are you running? I'm assuming the 6.2 catback?
I dont remember what the exhaust came off of but im running speed engineering headers and y pipe to a single high flow cat straight into the stock muffler thru the stock resonator. The stock exhaust pipe is 3"
Old 02-03-2019, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Pooter, for straight thru muffler check out the Flowmaster 70. I had one on my last truck- while it was a bit tonier than stock it did drone, though I wonder how much the Air raid MIT tune contributed to that- I was fixing to put on a resonator. But seeing your setup with headers and such, Flowmaster 70 looks to be the thing...……….
Old 02-03-2019, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I dont remember what the exhaust came off of but im running speed engineering headers and y pipe to a single high flow cat straight into the stock muffler thru the stock resonator. The stock exhaust pipe is 3"
Interesting. Well maybe it's a 6.0 catback then?? Either way 3" ain't bad. I hate that mine necks down from 3.5 to 3, but oh well, 3 is better than 2.5

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
Hey Pooter, for straight thru muffler check out the Flowmaster 70. I had one on my last truck- while it was a bit tonier than stock it did drone, though I wonder how much the Air raid MIT tune contributed to that- I was fixing to put on a resonator. But seeing your setup with headers and such, Flowmaster 70 looks to be the thing...……….
I've never been a chambered muffler guy or a flowmaster guy really. I just looked up the flowmaster 70 series to see if there was something I missed as far as them having straight through, and it shows to be a chambered muffler. Most flowmaster 5.3 trucks tend to be pretty loud at lower throttle and idle and get quieter on the gas... or they don't seem to raise in sound as the revs go up. Not sure if I'm explaining it well but I want it quiet at low throttle and loud at high throttle. That way it doesn't **** the neighbors off or drone too much at cruise. I also have to be careful because I tow a boat and that can really bring on a drone that'll drive you crazy.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 765 Likes on 535 Posts

I’d think 3.5” is a touch over kill for a 5.3. I’m in the process of redoing my exhaust and will be replacing the GM Borla exhaust with a single Borla xr-1 and am planning 3” all the way through.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
I’d think 3.5” is a touch over kill for a 5.3. I’m in the process of redoing my exhaust and will be replacing the GM Borla exhaust with a single Borla xr-1 and am planning 3” all the way through.

If mine is overkill it certainly isn't costing me any power and I'm all in on my catback at $230 including clamps, gas money, having the flap cut out, other welding, etc.. So I couldn't make sense of going any other direction, plus most complain the aftermarket systems are too loud and they spend a ton of money adding mufflers etc to get them bearable.

I would have also guessed 3" was plenty myself before reading this. The hp ratings per pipe size are a little surprising.
https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/determ...t-tubing-size/

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 02-04-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got around to reading that link. Not sure I agree with it entirely. Case in point is my charger. 392ci rated at 485hp. For a dual system that chart shows minimum pipe size to be 3". The car comes with 2.75" factory and there have been no proven gains with increasing from that pipe size until 600+hp. Their two charts kind of contradict each other as well because in one they say my engine needs 3" minimum for 400hp (max the chart goes to) and then the other it says 2.75" will support 566hp in a dual setup. But when you look at it for our trucks it lines up.

Who knows. I'll probably do 3.5" since I'm in there anyways.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
Finally got around to reading that link. Not sure I agree with it entirely. Case in point is my charger. 392ci rated at 485hp. For a dual system that chart shows minimum pipe size to be 3". The car comes with 2.75" factory and there have been no proven gains with increasing from that pipe size until 600+hp. Their two charts kind of contradict each other as well because in one they say my engine needs 3" minimum for 400hp (max the chart goes to) and then the other it says 2.75" will support 566hp in a dual setup. But when you look at it for our trucks it lines up.

Who knows. I'll probably do 3.5" since I'm in there anyways.
I agree it's hard to agree with that chart, it all seems like overkill. But if I recall correctly I've seen similar info elsewhere. How they come up with that I have no idea.

All I know at this point is I didn't lose anything by going with the stock 3.5 and I kept a whole bunch of money and sanity (not too loud driving me crazy).

Z06ted rode in mine yesterday and was really impressed with how quiet everything was and the sound of the 6.2 catback.

We also talked about how it necks down from 3.5" to 3" and I believe he recalled hearing something about pipe sizing going down over the length of the pipe being part of exh tuning and I remember hearing something about it to. So now I'm on the fence, I was considering making mine 3.5" all the way, but I think I'll leave it.

What I really should do is dyno it with open headers, vs y pipe, vs full system attached. But the flipping driveshaft will pop before I could make it through a dyno run.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stepping the pipe size down would help keep velocity up as the gasses cool.

Quick Reply: Flapper off...........