TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Recall 2014

new truck owners should read this.

GM recalling 370,000 full-size trucks for fire risks | The Detroit News
Old 01-11-2014, 04:22 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw that . Like 8 cases . Haven't heard of a GM recall in a while , I think they are just trying to make Toyota and Chrysler feel better Lol .
Old 01-11-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting those CATs too hot lol
Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gamble686
Getting those CATs too hot lol
It's the govt's fault , making all this polution and MPG regulations . It's killing our vehicles we rely on for power and reliability .
Old 01-11-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

I think it has to do with the exhaust valve that only opens up while all 8 cylinder are functioning
Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KozzyJr
I think it has to do with the exhaust valve that only opens up while all 8 cylinder are functioning
Supposedly it's happening in extreme cold while idling for extended periods of time so that would make a lot of sense.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KozzyJr
They said its and electronic issue. I built a custom exhaust for mine from the cat back. But I already have a little rattle in my CATs showing high exhaust temp came in to play. That valve would make sense but it's just a simple spring loaded mechanical device.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JimmyLT
They said its and electronic issue. I built a custom exhaust for mine from the cat back. But I already have a little rattle in my CATs showing high exhaust temp came in to play. That valve would make sense but it's just a simple spring loaded mechanical device.
it has to do with it just idling. I phoned my service manager to day and he said its a glitch in the computer. the truck is suppose to idle with only 4 cly but it actually idling on all 8. the exhaust valve isn't opening and causing the engine and exhaust to super heat causing fires. said there going to reprogram the computer should be a quick fix. don't know how legit this info is but it kind of makes sense to me tho. ill be going into the dealer tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

I just checked the GM website and we still don't have this available, but I'm sure it will be by Thursday when they mail out the notifications.

However I've had some recalls show up in customers mailboxes before we even had access to them.

FYI this will make recall #20. The most I've seen on one truck is 5 so far. Don't be alarmed. They ARE NOT all safety recalls, mostly just "updates" or "revisions."

Just like your i-phone, its just a software update.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

#14008: Product Safety - Overheated Exhaust Components - (Jan 13, 2014)
Subject: 14008 – Overheated Exhaust Components

Models: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
Equipped with 4.3L Engine (LV1/LV3) or 5.3L Engine (L83)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important: This recall is to be performed on involved vehicles in dealer inventory immediately.

Until the repair can be performed, do not let the vehicle idle unattended for more than a few minutes, and do not let the vehicle idle in or next to a building or structure.Vehicles involved in this recall were placed on stop delivery January 10, 2014. Once the service procedure contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle, the vehicle is released from stop delivery and the vehicle can be delivered to the customer. All involved vehicles that are in dealer inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle.
Customers will be advised to contact their dealer to have their vehicle towed to the dealership if their vehicle exhibits the condition, which is the illumination of the Check Engine light and an “Engine Power is Reduced” DIC message.

ConditionGeneral Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2014 model year Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles, equipped with a 4.3L engine (LV1/LV3) or 5.3L engine (L83). When these vehicles are idling in cold temperatures, some of the exhaust components may overheat. If this were to occur, the yellow Check Engine light will illuminate and the “Engine Power is Reduced” message will appear in the Driver Information Center (DIC). If there is enough heat, it could melt plastic parts in the area, resulting in a possible engine fire.

CorrectionDealers are to reprogram the engine control module to modify the Power Management Mode software in order to prevent the condition.

Vehicles InvolvedAll involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts InformationNo parts are required for this recall.

Service ProcedureNote: Carefully read and follow the instructions below.

•Do NOT attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) with the calibration update. Use TIS2WEB on or after January 13, 2014, to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.
•DO NOT program a control module unless directed to by a service procedure or a service bulletin. If the control module is not properly configured with the correct calibration software, the control module will not control all of the vehicle features properly.
•Ensure the programming tool is equipped with the latest software and is securely connected to the data link connector. If there is an interruption during programming, programming failure or control module damage may occur.
•Stable battery voltage is critical during programming. Any fluctuation, spiking, over voltage or loss of voltage will interrupt programming. When required install the EL-49642 SPS Programming Support Tool to maintain system voltage. If not available, connect a fully charged 12 V jumper or booster pack disconnected from the AC voltage supply. DO NOT connect a battery charger.
•Turn OFF or disable systems that may put a load on the vehicles battery such as; interior lights, exterior lights (including daytime running lights), HVAC, radio, etc.
•During the programming procedure, follow the SPS prompts for the correct ignition switch position.
•Clear DTCs after programming is complete. Clearing powertrain DTCs will set the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) system status indicators to NO.
•Note the engine oil life remaining percentage.
To reprogram an existing K20 Engine Control Module, perform the following procedure:

 1. Install EL-49642 SPS programming support tool.
 2. Access the Service Programming System (SPS) and follow the on-screen instructions. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) documentation in SI for programming instructions.
Note: Select ECM/TCM ECM/TCM Sequential Programming from the SPS Supported Controllers screen if the vehicle is equipped with a 5.3L (L83) engine. After programming, proceed to step 4.

 3. On the SPS Supported Controllers screen, select K20 Engine Control Module - Programming and follow the on-screen instructions.
 4. Clear DTCs after completing the programming procedure.
Note: If vehicle fails to start during Configuration and Setup, perform the SPS Function Immobilizer Learn and follow the on-screen instructions.

 5. Perform the SPS function K20 Engine Control Module - Configuration & Setup and follow the on-screen instructions, if available.
 6. Clear DTCs after completing the Configuration & Setup procedure.
 7. FOR CALIFORNIA VEHICLES Only: Install a Recall Identification Label and complete a “Proof of Correction” certificate upon recall completion.
Recall Identification Label – California Vehicles OnlyPlace a Recall Identification Label on each vehicle corrected in accordance with the instructions outlined in this Product Recall Bulletin. Each label provides a space to include the recall number and the five-digit dealer code of the dealer performing the recall service. This information may be inserted with a ballpoint pen.

Put the Recall Identification Label on a clean and dry surface of the radiator core support in an area that will be visible to people servicing the vehicle.

When installing the Recall Identification Label, be sure to pull the tab to allow adhesion of the clear protective covering. Additional Recall Identification Labels for US dealers can be obtained from Dealer Support Materials by ordering on the web from DWD Store, www.gmglobalconnect.com, and then click on the DWD Store link. Request Item Number S-1015 when ordering.

Courtesy Transportation – For US and CanadaThe General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction InformationSubmit a transaction using the table below. All transactions should be submitted as a ZFAT transaction type, unless noted otherwise.

Labor Code
Description
Labor Time

Engine Control Module Reprogramming with SPS

Customer Notification – For US and CanadaGeneral Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fire Recall 2014