Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Driveshaft upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 04:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Driveshaft upgrade?

So I hear horror stories about driveshafts self destructing at higher speeds. I have a 2014 RCSB that will be getting supercharger on it soon. I've looked around and see everything up to a 5" aluminum driveshaft available to me somewhat locally in San Antonio. Do I really need to go that heavy if I'm only going to be in the ballpark of 450-500 hp? I'm all about the "buy once, cry once" approach if its justified, just don't want to throw money out that could be used on other mods.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

It's true. A supercharger will make that stock shaft twist like butter.

Do it once, do it right, don't look back. You can do the big aluminum or a smaller, heavy wall steel. A competent DS shop should be able to do either.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on upgrading as well but my stocker has been holding up to some serious abuse...maybe I am lucky.

416 LT1 with whipple. Probably making 750ish. Quad cab 4x4, lifted, 35s... I think you are safe provided you keep it on the street.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...m-1500-trucks/
Old 07-31-2019, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

They blow up at high speed.

Some guys have twisted them from power but not many, the horror stories and the dyno videos where they blow up are all due to speed.

Driveshafts have something called critical speed. The longer the shaft the lower the critical speed is. These trucks come with really long single piece shafts, so the pop at 130-140 ish depending on rear gears and tire size.

That's why one of the best upgrades there is is the two piece shaft for these trucks. It's two short shafts so they each have a real high critical speed.

A few companies make the 2 piece conversion kit for your truck. They sell a standard ride height version and a slammed version (for really low trucks)

Edit: If I recall correctly Ta7akum motorsports is still using stock shafts on their 9 second builds. But they are reg cab 4wd trucks, those trucks have the shortest shafts these trucks come with.

And for examples sake of length, the drive shaft in my truck is 7 feet long (2wd crew cab short box)
Old 07-31-2019, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats best bet for quad cab 4x4? I was actually dwelling on carbon fiber.

standard bed length

Last edited by PonyKLR416; 07-31-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS

That's why one of the best upgrades there is is the two piece shaft for these trucks. It's two short shafts so they each have a real high critical speed.

A few companies make the 2 piece conversion kit for your truck. They sell a standard ride height version and a slammed version (for really low trucks)

Edit: If I recall correctly Ta7akum motorsports is still using stock shafts on their 9 second builds. But they are reg cab 4wd trucks, those trucks have the shortest shafts these trucks come with.
So can I just grab a two piece from an earlier 2WD Avalanche or Suburban and install into a later (my 2008) Avalanche? I'm sure google works, but this thread seemed pretty relevant to post this....
Old 08-01-2019, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
They blow up at high speed.

Some guys have twisted them from power but not many, the horror stories and the dyno videos where they blow up are all due to speed.

Driveshafts have something called critical speed. The longer the shaft the lower the critical speed is. These trucks come with really long single piece shafts, so the pop at 130-140 ish depending on rear gears and tire size.

And for examples sake of length, the drive shaft in my truck is 7 feet long (2wd crew cab short box)
So for us 4WD guys, we'd have a bit of more or less critical speed?
What im asking is can our shafts handle a little more top speed considering its shorter??
Old 08-01-2019, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by kaze_v8
So for us 4WD guys, we'd have a bit of more or less critical speed?
What im asking is can our shafts handle a little more top speed considering its shorter??
If we have the same tire size and rear end gear ratio your truck having shorter shafts means it can go a faster MPH before the drive shaft comes apart than it would on my truck. To explain that a little..

Your drive shaft has a higher critical speed than mine, since it is shorter. So your drive shaft can go faster than my drive shaft. (shorter shaft can spin faster than a long one that is made from the same diameter tubing and thickness). But it doesn't mean your truck can go a faster MPH than mine UNLESS we have the same tire diameter and rear end gear ratio. If we have the same tire size and gear ratio we will have the same drive shaft speed and your drive shaft being able to spin faster than my drive shaft means your truck can go a higher MPH than my truck before your shaft comes apart.

But if you go to say 4.11 gears your drive shaft speed will increase for a given mph. For example your drive shaft speed at 50 mph with 3.42 gears will be considerably lower than if you were doing 50 with 4.11 gears. If you reduce your tire diameter the same thing happens.

Not sure what your MPH limit is. Seen several videos and posts where 2wd drive guys pop them at 130 ish. Give or take some. But the 2wd has a longer shaft, especially the crew cab truck.

Critical speed for the drive shaft is the max speed in RPM the shaft can spin before it whips and then fails.

https://pstds.com/critical-speed-chart/

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 08-01-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Good deal!
Thank you for the explanation boss

Quick Reply: Driveshaft upgrade?