Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Delete Brake Vaccuum Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Delete Brake Vaccuum Pump

What do you think about this thread and deleting the entire Vacuum Pump. Since I'm tuned and cammed I've been thing about do this as well.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...um-pump-video/

Old 11-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious about this as well. Doesn't look like there are any downfalls if you have DOD deleted.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I would never do that. The brakes on these trucks are very impressive, part of the reason is the stand alone vacuum pump vs intake vacuum. Keep in mind the vacuum pump vacuum is always there, you're in and out of vacuum allllll the time in the intake so you won't have the same performance hooking it to the manifold. Satisfactory performance? Probably so just like the previous gen. But the brakes on this new truck impress the **** out of me, so I personally won't be making any changes that can take away from that.

Having a larger than stock cam usually results in lower vacuum in the manifold too and affects the braking. Keep that in mind with your cam.

Not being a dick, but I can't see why anyone would delete the vacuum pump in the first place. I see no benefit at all. Someone explain it if I'm missing something.

Edit: I just watched the vid, well skimmed it. This ***** deleted the PCV system and the vacuum pump. I would recommend NOT doing anything that guy recommends.

More about the vac pump.... I have noticed with newer cars with all the new variable cam and displacement technology that brake boost is really starting to taking a crap (I'm a tech so I drive 3-10 different cars a day usually some new some old) and that's one thing I loved about my truck when I got it (it had a vacuum pump so I didn't have to worry about any of that). I would highly recommend leaving the pump. I would also recommend replacing it every 2-3 years. They do go bad and it sucks when they do. I put a new one on mine last year, it wasn't very expensive or hard to do.

I can't say for sure that the new timing and displacement technology is for sure the cause behind the crappy brake boost I'm noticing on these new cars, but I have noticed it on several newer cars with the new cam etc tech and do not have any of that issue with my truck. The only difference in my brake booster setup and in those is having a vac pump.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 11-12-2019 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
someotherguy (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the more I read up on it the more down falls I saw in doing it. And I was worried about the vacumm I had in my intake manifold since I was cammed. I was swap it out to the new style pump and be done with it. Plus it doesn't look like it will work well at all with boost.

P.S. 00pooterSS when I PM'ed you about that lean code I got about a month ago. Turns out I blew the seals completely out one #5 injector. So the seals never shrank back down to the right size when I installed them. So pulled them all out and made sure I did the seals a different way. I found a video on Youtube using a rubber hose to compress the seals back to the right size.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I would never do that. The brakes on these trucks are very impressive, part of the reason is the stand alone vacuum pump vs intake vacuum. Keep in mind the vacuum pump vacuum is always there, you're in and out of vacuum allllll the time in the intake so you won't have the same performance hooking it to the manifold. Satisfactory performance? Probably so just like the previous gen. But the brakes on this new truck impress the **** out of me, so I personally won't be making any changes that can take away from that.

Having a larger than stock cam usually results in lower vacuum in the manifold too and affects the braking. Keep that in mind with your cam.

Not being a dick, but I can't see why anyone would delete the vacuum pump in the first place. I see no benefit at all. Someone explain it if I'm missing something.
I was gonna say, especially in the case of a cam swap, you want that vacuum pump doing its job for your brakes - but not knowing the K2XX trucks at all, I figured I'd wait for someone that knows them to chime in.

Richard
Old 11-13-2019, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
Yea the more I read up on it the more down falls I saw in doing it. And I was worried about the vacumm I had in my intake manifold since I was cammed. I was swap it out to the new style pump and be done with it. Plus it doesn't look like it will work well at all with boost.

P.S. 00pooterSS when I PM'ed you about that lean code I got about a month ago. Turns out I blew the seals completely out one #5 injector. So the seals never shrank back down to the right size when I installed them. So pulled them all out and made sure I did the seals a different way. I found a video on Youtube using a rubber hose to compress the seals back to the right size.
No kidding, damn I'm glad you found it. That may have been your gas smell too. And yeah man, one of the hardest part of doing the seals is not over stretching them. You have to make sure they stay really tight and that they can slide easily in the injector bore so it doesn't pull the seals back. I cleaned the **** out of my bores and lubed them so the injectors/seals would slide in easy. I also made sure the seals stayed tight around the injector. Any slop in the fit is a no go. I've seen a few of the shrink methods and there are some cool ideas out there, I just chose to not stretch them much in the first place, which made it harder to install them on the injector but less of a fight when it came to shrinking them or putting them in the head. By the way, that could also make an exhaust leak sound.

The stretching issue is why I ground down that pen tip diameter. The tip was too big around as it came so I ground it down smaller to match the diameter of the tip of the injector. So that it only stretched the seal just enough to get it on the tip of the injector. I still had to force the seals hard over the little seal locating ridges or whatever they would be called.

Originally Posted by someotherguy
I was gonna say, especially in the case of a cam swap, you want that vacuum pump doing its job for your brakes - but not knowing the K2XX trucks at all, I figured I'd wait for someone that knows them to chime in.

Richard
Yeah and full disclosure, the cam will be running at advance down low in the rpm range where you'll be getting your intake vacuum (low throttle blade opening) and that helps the vacuum and his cam also has negative overlap so it would probably be all good. But it will never match the consistency or strength in vacuum that you'll have with a vacuum pump.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to divert my on thread but hear is what I found. And once I replaced the seals the gas smell 100% went away. Just another lesson learned. I'm going to update my cam thread with the video I found on how to shrink the seals. I tried it your way and I just couldn't get them to slide on without losing my patience LOL.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I hear ya but doing it my way the seals FAR FROM "slide" on. It was a real fight getting them on there my way. That may have been the difference. My way you leave them small and fight the hell out of them getting them on. If they slide on or go on easy they are overstretched. Unless you have a shrinker to take them back down in size.

I wanna see the vid though. Be interesting to see an easy, and cheap, way that works.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here you go, it was quick and easy.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Effing genius

Quick Reply: Delete Brake Vaccuum Pump