Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Cylinder #3 misfire with AC on

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

You'll have to pull the whole fuel rail and replace all the seals on all the injectors you pull.

So if it was me I would swap on the same side so you don't have to buy two packs of injector seal. So maybe 1 and 3 and see if it follows the injector.

Don't know if you've replaced the seals before since you bought your injectors new. But they are a B!%@#, ask me how I know.
Here is a really good how to video. And it was the only way I could get my injectors to seal.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
You'll have to pull the whole fuel rail and replace all the seals on all the injectors you pull.

So if it was me I would swap on the same side so you don't have to buy two packs of injector seal. So maybe 1 and 3 and see if it follows the injector.

Don't know if you've replaced the seals before since you bought your injectors new. But they are a B!%@#, ask me how I know.
Here is a really good how to video. And it was the only way I could get my injectors to seal.

https://youtu.be/htLtikGBjFA
the seals have to be replaced anytime you pull out an injector?or are you saying a bad injector seal is my culprit?

I'm goIng to try moving the spark plug and then try moving the injector see what happens.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Received 147 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-1 Powered
the seals have to be replaced anytime you pull out an injector?or are you saying a bad injector seal is my culprit?

I'm goIng to try moving the spark plug and then try moving the injector see what happens.
That's a good point. I didn't realize this is on a 2014+. So it's better to swap them on the same bank if it allows you to keep the other bank undisturbed, because you do need to replace all the lower seals if you take them out.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Correct the seals have to be replace anytime you remove it from the head.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FFDP
Can you raise the idle 100rpm to see if it stops?
raised idle. Still same misfire. Thanks for suggestion.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Was told by a reputable shop that the plugs I am using are too cold and are causing the issues. They had the same issues with my current plugs. I tend to agree with them and am going to replace all of them to a hotter spark plug. Will update when done.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Was told by a reputable shop that the plugs I am using are too cold and are causing the issues. They had the same issues with my current plugs. I tend to agree with them and am going to replace all of them to a hotter spark plug. Will update when done.
I had this happen to me last year after switching plugs out. I have never had a NGK be funky in 20+ years using them on my cars and customer cars but last year I did plugs on my truck and it developed a #5 misfire. Plug looked perfect, ohmed out good, no cracks no nothing. But I swapped out that plug and it's been fine since, did a new set of wires too since the OE's had 130k on them. I did find carbon arc marks down the side of the plug though which showed the spark was jumping from the plug wire to the base of the plug along the porcelain rather than through the plug. Not sure why, but it did.

Did you do something to need cold plugs?
And how cold did you go?

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 05-26-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I had this happen to me last year after switching plugs out. I have never had a NGK be funky in 20+ years using them on my cars and customer cars but last year I did plugs on my truck and it developed a #5 misfire. Plug looked perfect, ohmed out good, no cracks no nothing. But I swapped out that plug and it's been fine since, did a new set of wires too since the OE's had 130k on them. I did find carbon arc marks down the side of the plug though which showed the spark was jumping from the plug wire to the base of the plug along the porcelain rather than through the plug. Not sure why, but it did.

Did you do something to need cold plugs?
And how cold did you go?
I'm putting a lt4 supercharger on the truck. so when I installed the headers a couple weeks ago I figured I'd go ahead put new spark plugs in while I was there. I thought I had purchased one step colder ngk's LTR7IX-11. Also i gapped these to .030 for boost not thinking it would be long for supercharger to go on. Well anyways These are actually two steps colder and the gapping isn't great for a NA motor.

So I went to auto zone and bought 8 ngk LTR6IX-11 today and will switch them out. I will leave the gap alone as well until I'm ready to install supercharger then gap em down.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 765 Likes on 535 Posts

As cheap as spark plugs are I'd buy the correct heat range for an NA motor and run those until you bolt the supercharger on and then buy one step colder and install those.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm putting a lt4 supercharger on the truck. so when I installed the headers a couple weeks ago I figured I'd go ahead put new spark plugs in while I was there. I thought I had purchased one step colder ngk's LTR7IX-11. Also i gapped these to .030 for boost not thinking it would be long for supercharger to go on. Well anyways These are actually two steps colder and the gapping isn't great for a NA motor.

So I went to auto zone and bought 8 ngk LTR6IX-11 today and will switch them out. I will leave the gap alone as well until I'm ready to install supercharger then gap em down.
Oh okay I gotcha. I still kinda wonder if that's the issue, odd it's only affecting one cylinder. Maybe swap just that one plug to confirm..?

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
As cheap as spark plugs are I'd buy the correct heat range for an NA motor and run those until you bolt the supercharger on and then buy one step colder and install those.
Or this.. or put the stock ones back in for a little while.

Inspect the plugs carefully for cracking in the porcelain. It's pretty easy to accidentally crack em. Especially with certain sockets. I have one I call the cracker. It's a sweet $50 magnetic spark plug sockets that holds the spark plugs/keeps them from falling out of the socket, but damn it's really easy to crack one using it.

Quick Reply: Cylinder #3 misfire with AC on