PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-k2xx-trucks-general-discussion-221/)
-   -   Cylinder #3 misfire with AC on (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-k2xx-trucks-general-discussion-221/cylinder-3-misfire-ac-557304/)

LS-1 Powered 05-25-2020 05:05 PM

Cylinder #3 misfire with AC on

1 Attachment(s)
I am having cylinder misfire at the #3 cylinder. Weird part about it is, it only happens when I turn the AC on full blast. When I don't have the AC on I dont have the misfire. I turn the AC on to low speed, I dont have a misfire. I turn the AC onto its highest setting, I have a very hard, pronounced misfire! Its a very noticeable misfire and shakes the truck! I got a log of it so you all could see it. I checked all my spark plugs wires thinking one came loose but nope, it still does it. Any suggestions? I believe this issue is going to be mechanical right? Probably a spark plug? How do I know which cylinder is #3 from looking at the engine?

madmann26 05-25-2020 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by LS-1 Powered (Post 5483354)
I am having cylinder misfire at the #3 cylinder. Weird part about it is, it only happens when I turn the AC on full blast. When I don't have the AC on I dont have the misfire. I turn the AC on to low speed, I dont have a misfire. I turn the AC onto its highest setting, I have a very hard, pronounced misfire! Its a very noticeable misfire and shakes the truck! I got a log of it so you all could see it. I checked all my spark plugs wires thinking one came loose but nope, it still does it. Any suggestions? I believe this issue is going to be mechanical right? Probably a spark plug? How do I know which cylinder is #3 from looking at the engine?

cyl 3 is 2nd one on drivers side.

driver side is 1,3,5,7
pass side is 2,4,6,8

LS-1 Powered 05-25-2020 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by madmann26 (Post 5483355)
cyl 3 is 2nd one on drivers side.

driver side is 1,3,5,7
pass side is 2,4,6,8

thank you! Guess I'm guna pull the spark plug and go from there.

B52Bombardier1 05-25-2020 05:38 PM

Could be the fuel injector. Check the shop manual for whatever impedance your fuel injector should be and then measure that injector's impedance. I'm thinking this is an electrical problem, obviously. High electrical consumption makes a weak fuel injector fail.

My crazy two cents theories . . .

Rick

LS-1 Powered 05-25-2020 05:49 PM

Spark plug was fine no obvious reason for the misfire. That rules out the spark plug and the spark plug wire. I just put brand new lt4 injectors in the truck. You really think injector could be bad?
is there a way to look at the hp tuners log and see if it is an injector? Also to test impedance does the manifold have to come off?

FFDP 05-25-2020 05:54 PM

Can you raise the idle 100rpm to see if it stops?

LS-1 Powered 05-25-2020 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP (Post 5483360)
Can you raise the idle 100rpm to see if it stops?

yes I can ill do that now. Is there a idle adjustment when the ac is on? Or just bump the idle in general? Whats the theory behind doing this? Just trying to learn.

B52Bombardier1 05-25-2020 06:23 PM

For me, the fuel rail needs to come off to replace an injector but not to simply check the suspect injector impedance.

Rick

68Formula 05-25-2020 10:19 PM

Swap the spark plugs between 3 and 2, and see If the misfire follows to cylinder 2. If not, swap the injectors between 3 and 2, see if it follows. If neither does, then something else is going on.

LS-1 Powered 05-25-2020 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 68Formula (Post 5483376)
Swap the spark plugs between 3 and 2, and see If the misfire follows to cylinder 2. If not, swap the injectors between 3 and 2, see if it follows. If neither does, then something else is going on.

great way to test it thanks! I'll give it a try when I have the time to pull the intake manifold.