Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

"chevy shake" fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Viking... I had to modify the atomic brackets at the bottom to fit my newer stamped lower control arms, but other than that, It was a piece of cake. I think I should have gotten the shocks with the higher dampening, since I like it tight, and it appears that having the vikings at nealy the max setting, you could hear them squeaking a bit. I believe I'm hearing the oil pushing around the orifices. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure yet. I might see what I can do to change the vavling and get back with results.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if that cured it i will contact atomic , thing is my truck front parts are aluminum so i don't know how will it act with coilovers ?
Old 10-10-2017, 04:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
I installed Rancho 9000s just to help with the bounce since the stock shocks were marginal when unloaded. It vibrated unloaded or loaded before and still does so no answers here. I have a daily weight of 5900-6000lbs loaded and with the weight it is level front to rear. Thinking Ill do axle mods and driveshaft balance at some point.

you can test the axles without any hard work , ds should be the first to test
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost-freak
if that cured it i will contact atomic , thing is my truck front parts are aluminum so i don't know how will it act with coilovers ?
It's just a different mount is all which he makes
Old 10-13-2017, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

I put the coilovers back on, which reduced the shake again considerably.... If you're happy with your ride height and would like to retain most of your stock suspension, I'd look for a factory replacement strut with adjustable dampening. I'm switching my whole setup again, going to try Bilstein 5100 struts with stock springs. They're not adjustable as far as compression and rebound, but I've had a lot of good luck with them in the past. I should have it all by next week, and I'll let you know if that strut helps with the issue as well.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

i tried them no fix for my truck better than oem in front but no change in shaking
Old 10-14-2017, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Mills
I put the coilovers back on, which reduced the shake again considerably.... If you're happy with your ride height and would like to retain most of your stock suspension, I'd look for a factory replacement strut with adjustable dampening. I'm switching my whole setup again, going to try Bilstein 5100 struts with stock springs. They're not adjustable as far as compression and rebound, but I've had a lot of good luck with them in the past. I should have it all by next week, and I'll let you know if that strut helps with the issue as well.
Sell me.your springs from the Vikings
Old 10-20-2017, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ToNasty
Sell me.your springs from the Vikings
hit me up!
Old 03-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Teching In

6.2L/L86, 8L90e, extended cab standard box... NHT truck. 1 piece aluminum driveshaft. No lift block in the rear.

It shakes from ~65-90. Goes away at 88-92.

I had the torque converter, lines, filter, radiator, AC condenser, and trans cooler replaced under warranty. The radiator is pissing coolant again but I digress

Two sets of tires, same shake, different speed (slightly different size). That means it is driveline related. It didn't start doing it until ~38k miles (after the new torque converter). It has 53k on it now.

My cousin works for a GM dealership. He says there is a TSB for ring/pinion issues.

Contemplating just getting the driveshaft rebalanced or retubed. Or a new one made. What do you guys think?
Old 03-12-2018, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO kind of hard to say what may or may not work. In my case i had a nice dennys driveshaft made good to 10000 rpm. To my disappointment still had the shake. On the other hand guys like 07softail had his checked balance was good run out was high. said he got that fixed and was 90 percent better. I think another guy found out of round axle flanges. Just BS these trucks are so nice but gm cant fix this issue. I really liked my truck ,but the shake would enrage me every time i drove it, Sadly i got rid of it because of that issue and i was tired of throwing money and parts at it. Wrath not trying to be the "negative Nancy". I hope you are able to resolve your shake
The following users liked this post:
hirdlej (08-19-2018)