Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Double trouble....

[QUOTE=BCraven1018;5406838]
Originally Posted by FELONIOUS1
Can you define what you're calling the "Chevy shake?"

Mine starts around 65 up to 75. slightly goes away above 80. My description fro me wold be extremely out of balance re tires out of alternating each other with up and down. That same result has been with stock 17's oem 20's and tbss 22's. I can turn my mirror down and see the rear tire and it blows my mind that nothing has broken yet. It looks pretty violent. Another weird twist is that it does not always seem to be present. Example being my truck sat for a few weeks and decided to drive it to work the other day. To my surprise smooth as glass for a few miles with the cruise on 75. Then out of nowhere it began and never quit. I have replaced my driveshaft with an aluminum one from Denny's. A few other members suggest i replace axles or at least check the flange just haven't made it that far yet.(new house and baby) I need to get the go pro out
Here.
My 14' LTZ shakes at 75, and has a whine between 42-60. Dlr has "rebuilt" the diff 2 times. He's now telling me that GM has a TSB out, that states if the noise is noticeable only in a 5-7 mph range, they won't do anything about it.
I've had 2 sets of tires on it, balanced, rotated, aligned. Most reduction was w/ the new tires. [20" OEM wheels.]

It got a wash/cleanup last nite. The pics will be in local ads, on Monday.

This is THE LAST piece of new GM , that'll ever sit in my garage.
The problem is, the Dodges, Fords are no better... Some worse.
A Tundra seems to be an expensive, poor mileage, alternative. I won't drive an import, tho.
Back to an older truck, that I can mod, lower, do whatever, and not be concerned w/ warranty. [Or, lack of.] My 08 ext cab was a sweetheart. But, NO, I HAD to have a new one, like my bud has...Big mistake.

Back under my rock
The following users liked this post:
Smithsonite (05-10-2022)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't have any shake with my stock LTZ 20s except the driveshaft at around 95+ mph. Now that I have put the Intro 24s on I feel the same thing you guys are talking about. At first it was really bad but Discount Tire left those little round metal rotor retainer clips on (stock wheels have a recess for them but my billets don't) and they only static balanced my tires. After removing the clips and rebalancing my tires it's mostly gone but still there just enough to irritate me. From about 60-75 mph.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FELONIOUS1
Mine is most certainly the driveshaft, comes in right at 100 mph and shakes violently and goes away as soon as I let off. I have heard about the axles flanges not being 100% true from factory.
your truck don't have it yet , you will know for sure when it does

until a fix is proven to fix it for good i will not throw any money at it
Old 08-03-2017, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright dudes, my 2016 RCSB HAD this from 68~75mph where it would shake my center console armrest enough where I couldn't have an open can of... soda in it, without it sloshing out. My truck is lowered 6" in the rear, 3.5" in the front. 22" wheels as well. I noticed my front U-joint was pretty darn tight against the bellow/shaft seal thingy after lowering, so

I had my driveshaft shortened 1 1/4" and dynamically balanced today, and it's now FIXED. FIXED!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by Ryan Mills
Alright dudes, my 2016 RCSB HAD this from 68~75mph where it would shake my center console armrest enough where I couldn't have an open can of... soda in it, without it sloshing out. My truck is lowered 6" in the rear, 3.5" in the front. 22" wheels as well. I noticed my front U-joint was pretty darn tight against the bellow/shaft seal thingy after lowering, so

I had my driveshaft shortened 1 1/4" and dynamically balanced today, and it's now FIXED. FIXED!!!!!!!
I have had ZERO bites on my '14LTZ..even at the low end of private sale average $.
Have had several "helper dudes" called to "help me sell it"...Screw them. Some want $300+.
I have done some checking on the diff noise. The dana Corp says 75-90 lube.
Screw it, I'm changing to 80/140, and checking the back lash, while I'm in there.
The ******* at the dlr said that if the b/l is any where between .002 and .010, it's good to go...

My bud has a '15, w/ 3.73 gears... NO noise. He suggested we change it, add a nice exhaust, and drive it...May be forced to do that.

I may lower mine about the same. Thanks for the h/u on the d/s length.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to do it again, I'd say 7/8" to 1" would probably be ideal with the 6" drop.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:50 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Mine had a shake from 70-75mph before and after I lowered it. I had my driveline balanced early this week and so far the vibration is gone. I haven't driven it a ton yet, and they said the driveline was ok, but they still "moved the weights around a little" and it seems to have made all the difference. $70 fix.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

By driveline, the driveshaft and is it a single? Did you remove it and take it in? Details please sir. Only thing I dont like about this truck...
Old 09-15-2017, 11:13 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
By driveline, the driveshaft and is it a single? Did you remove it and take it in? Details please sir. Only thing I dont like about this truck...
Sorry, yes...I have a rcsb with a steel 1 piece driveline. I was headed out for a 1 week vacation so before I left I removed it myself and dropped it off at Driveline Express here in Portland and had them check it for true (it was true) and make sure it was balanced, etc. They said it was pretty much fine, but they did make some slight weight adjustments on the balance. They did use a round weight, while gm's were rectangular.
The following users liked this post:
ZO6Ted (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks I guess I'll do the same soon as it cools off a bit more. Sure would be nice! Hope its not my axles Ive heard that too.