Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Cheap 3.5" exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

I pulled my fender wells out to do my headers. Had to pull the trans cross member too (if you don't want to cut up the y pipe).

I'm surprised you had issues with the driver side header. Mine on both sides went in so easy I was kinda in shock. They both slid right in as if there were a mile around each side of them. I put both of mine in from the bottom. I also had the sway bar unbolted, that may have helped, I pulled it right from the start though cause it opens up a decent amount of room and they are real easy to drop down and let hang.

THE biggest tip I can give is what I did with a couple of old bolts. I cut the heads off of them and then slotted the ends so that a flat head screw driver can go into them. I threaded one bolt in at each end of the head, slid the gasket over them and then the header and then threaded my bolts in. After threading in all the bolts I remove the slotted studs I made and put the last two bolts in those holes.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 765 Likes on 535 Posts

I didn't pull the sway bar and I'm 4wd so that might have been why. Once I popped the steering shaft out it dropped in from up top with no issues at all. The passenger side fed in from the bottom with no problems.

Good idea on the bolt trick. Like i said I used a jack stand under the collector and it made it real easy to put in the bolts.

I was originally going to do it through the fender wells but after looking at it I got lazy and did everything from the fender. Either way is stupid simple to do. Going through the fender wells would have saved some bruising on my ribs.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

when everything installed.. only reason I can’t drive it is because I don’t have a ball flange connector for the new 3.5” exhaust.. the one from my factory exhaust isn’t big enough for the new Speed Enginerring piece and no bracket supplied in the headers will work.. any leads? I don’t want to spend $30 on a factory clamp but it looks like i will have to
Old 04-06-2019, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a 3.5" cat back? I've got the socket adapter from speed engineering for the 5.3 exhaust I'll mail to you.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Mine came with 3 but i used the far left because i also installed an OEM 6.2 exhaust which is 3.5”. I just don’t have the clamp for it
Old 04-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Launching!

I do. can you PM me a pic? i’m interested. 2 day shipping I cover if it isn’t a crazy $50+. Lol

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
Do you have a 3.5" cat back? I've got the socket adapter from speed engineering for the 5.3 exhaust I'll mail to you.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Launching!

I received 5 clamps, 1 being the larger regular clamp but I couldnt get it to fit over the ball fitting
Old 04-06-2019, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hunterbohanan23
Mine came with 3 but i used the far left because i also installed an OEM 6.2 exhaust which is 3.5”. I just don’t have the clamp for it
That's the one I had to use on mine. Pretty certain the expectation from speed engineering is to reuse the oe clamp.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hunterbohanan23
when everything installed.. only reason I can’t drive it is because I don’t have a ball flange connector for the new 3.5” exhaust.. the one from my factory exhaust isn’t big enough for the new Speed Enginerring piece and no bracket supplied in the headers will work.. any leads? I don’t want to spend $30 on a factory clamp but it looks like i will have to
You'll have to buy that clamp from GM. It does not come with the speed engineering setup and everyone that sells used 6.2 exhausts keeps that clamp for the aftermarket exhaust they put on when they took the stock exh off.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
I didn't pull the sway bar and I'm 4wd so that might have been why. Once I popped the steering shaft out it dropped in from up top with no issues at all. The passenger side fed in from the bottom with no problems.

Good idea on the bolt trick. Like i said I used a jack stand under the collector and it made it real easy to put in the bolts.

I was originally going to do it through the fender wells but after looking at it I got lazy and did everything from the fender. Either way is stupid simple to do. Going through the fender wells would have saved some bruising on my ribs.
Yeah the 4wd will make a difference for sure, still cool it was just as easy from the top. Now I wish I wouldn't have pulled the fender wells. That was harder than putting on the headers.

Quick Reply: Cheap 3.5" exhaust