Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Big Brake Kit options, cheaper, alternatives, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brake Kit options, cheaper, alternatives, etc.

I'm in the auto performance business, and for the life of me in this day and age I can NOT justify the price of any of the Big Brake Kits!!! Come awn, $1800-2000 for Wilwood, StopTech, etc per axle. Baer front and rear kits are over $5000!!

Ok guys, there MUST be some DIY alternatives for this. Also, the rear kits are only like 1/2" bigger I think. When 20" wheels are the minimum these days and 22" and 24" are the norm we gotta come up with some cheaper solutions.

First Thought:
Build a bracket to move your existing caliper outward and source a larger rotor from another application. I know the diameter of the rotor won't match the caliper exactly, but the added leverage of the larger rotor will still gain a positive net improvement. I have this same situation on a rock crawler with mix matched rotor diameter vs caliper and its fine.

Anyone else got some ideas?

My application if for a 2014 Sierra, Lowered, AWD, Whipple 2900
Old 06-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The problem with the existing caliper is the surface area.

There was guy making a bracket and using some of the calipers of the Z06 and the CTSV.

The trouble is getting the cost down when paying a 3rd part to machine them and getting parts (rotors and calipers) at a reasonable price. Usually won't happen unless your buying in bulk.

I am still working on sway bar kits 2 years later... new vendor looks promising but I am still 2 years later trying to bring a product back at a reasonable price.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The problem with the existing caliper is the surface area.

There was guy making a bracket and using some of the calipers of the Z06 and the CTSV.
I don't see that the existing caliper surface area is that big a deal. By simply enlarging the rotor (use existing caliper) the net stopping force is increased! It may not be equal to a 6 piston, but more than anything I'm just looking to fill up some of the "empty" space when using a 22" wheel. Truck actually stops fine as is.

The bracket doesn't look that complicated actually. It could even be fabricated using a jig. CNC is coming down in cost everyday as well as quantities. Hell, Even if you could make a kit that was 1/2 price ($1000) axle, you'd still have a pretty healthy budget for machining 2 brackets if you're using existing calipers and sourcing off the shelf rotors.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BryanD
By simply enlarging the rotor (use existing caliper) the net stopping force is increased!

That’s actually not true. I thought that as well once and got schooled. The only purpose of increased rotor size is heat dissapation and a larger disc generally allows larger calipers.

Think of how mountain bikes switched from brakes on the rim to disc brakes, the disc brakes are way closer to the center and it has no effect on stoppig power.

Keep in mind you can see pretty big gains from just simply keeping the same sizes and getting good rotors, good pads, and good fluid that won’t boil.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't see that the existing caliper surface area is that big a deal. By simply enlarging the rotor (use existing caliper) the net stopping force is increased! It may not be equal to a 6 piston, but more than anything I'm just looking to fill up some of the "empty" space when using a 22" wheel. Truck actually stops fine as is.

The bracket doesn't look that complicated actually. It could even be fabricated using a jig. CNC is coming down in cost everyday as well as quantities. Hell, Even if you could make a kit that was 1/2 price ($1000) axle, you'd still have a pretty healthy budget for machining 2 brackets if you're using existing calipers and sourcing off the shelf rotors.
Like that?:
https://baer.com/EradiSpeed-Rotors-GMT900-SUV/
Old 06-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by randeez
Those aren't much larger than stock. Fronts are like 14.5" I think and Rears are 14.25. I would want at least a 16-16.5" front. The rears around 14 aren't bad actually. That is the funny thing too: The "Big Brake Kits" only take the rear from like 14" to 14.25 - A 1/4" and just a 6 piston caliper for $1800+ dollars. No thanks!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zman82

That’s actually not true. I thought that as well once and got schooled. The only purpose of increased rotor size is heat dissapation and a larger disc generally allows larger caliper.
I agree with you on the heat dissapation of the larger rotor, yes it will be better. But moving the same caliper further from the center WILL increase stopping power.

Think of how mountain bikes switched from brakes on the rim to disc brakes, the disc brakes are way closer to the center and it has no effect on stoppig power.
I believe mountain bikes did this for precision braking control that just couldn't be achieved with rim brakes. A hydraulic brake system, even close to the hub will have much better control than any old school cable rim brake.

Keep in mind you can see pretty big gains from just simply keeping the same sizes and getting good rotors, good pads, and good fluid that won’t boil.
Agreed! But as mentioned my main purpose is primarily to just fill up the empty space when using a 22" wheel and the truck stops fine as is. I'm not road coursing it.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I pieced together my 4 corner c6 zo6/Baer/ebc pads/stainless lines kit for around $1800 with some new and some used parts. It took a few months waiting for good deals on forums to pop up. Amazon had the best price on calipers. This setup stops my heavy AWD truck very well. I love the braking power it produces. Only thing I don't like is that a portion of the front pads don't make contact with the rotor using the "Rudy" caliper brackets.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SDjeff619
I think I pieced together my 4 corner c6 zo6/Baer/ebc pads/stainless lines kit for around $1800 with some new and some used parts. It took a few months waiting for good deals on forums to pop up. Amazon had the best price on calipers. This setup stops my heavy AWD truck very well. I love the braking power it produces.
I've heard of using the C6 rotors on the older trucks, but do they still work on the newer truck? I thought all the vet stuff was 5 lug? do you just re-drill to 6 lug? I have done that before on other projects, not a problem.

Originally Posted by SDjeff619
Only thing I don't like is that a portion of the front pads don't make contact with the rotor using the "Rudy" caliper brackets.
My rock crawler has same deal with the rotor diameter doesn't match the Wilwood caliper correctly. The rotor actually hit (and self clearanced) the caliper during the first few miles of operation. But its what everyone does and it works fine.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard of using the C6 rotors on the older trucks, but do they still work on the newer truck? I thought all the vet stuff was 5 lug? do you just re-drill to 6 lug? I have done that before on other projects, not a problem.

My rock crawler has same deal with the rotor diameter doesn't match the Wilwood caliper correctly. The rotor actually hit (and self clearanced) the caliper during the first few miles of operation. But its what everyone does and it works fine.
c6zo6 Calipers with Baer 6 lug rotors.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Kit options, cheaper, alternatives, etc.