Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

8 Speed trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
I think the exact opposite. My truck slips into gear every up shift when im cruising. It def firms up when im WOT but around town, it 100% still slips into gear like it did stock. My tuner said GM does this on purpose so the driver doesn't notice the shift. Funny we are talking about this because on my way into work i thought the next time i am at my tuners, im going to have him firm up the shifts when cruising. I think its annoying and feels lame when it slips into gear. Ive always liked the quicker and more firm shift. Somewhere between where it is now and the shift at wot would be good for me.

Atomic, did you ever play with the tcm I sent you?

Well I was riding with Sam as he tuned. All of my shifts are firmer now and he didn't adjust the shift firmness, he just reduced the timing drop between gears. I think you're feeling the timing drop, not slip. But I don't know I'm not there.

Sounds like you need a different tuner to tune your trans. Not all tunes are good tunes and not all adjustments are a one size fits all. Talk to your tuner and tell him what you want it to do or find a tuner that understands your desires better.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:49 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Sounds like he did it correctly. You dont want to fight the shift logic on these transmissions, you want to work with it. The controllers are great at what they do, tell it you want to shift faster and it will do whatever it needs to (increase pressure) to get the job done.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Not yet, I havent really had time to mess with it yet. To be honest I like the way the truck shifts, I cant even tell its changing gears. I would think it would be super annoying if I could feel every single shift at light throttle. Having 8 speeds is a lot of shifting haha.
thats exactly what my tuner was saying. make it feel like its not shifting at all.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atomic
Sounds like he did it correctly. You dont want to fight the shift logic on these transmissions, you want to work with it. The controllers are great at what they do, tell it you want to shift faster and it will do whatever it needs to (increase pressure) to get the job done.
He does do it right for sure, he's excellent at making transmissions take crazy power and not break. He has many cars with hundreds of passes at 1k rwhp or higher on the stock trans. I ask him sometimes if he will do this or that with my trans tune and he often says "no it'll tear itself up if I do". He's tuned several of my cars.

thats exactly what my tuner was saying. make it feel like its not shifting at all.
I would get a different tuner.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

why would i need a new tuner. my truck shifts the same as yours and continues to slip into gear. exactly what atomic said. As for timing during shifts, I dont know, it pulls hard and shifts firm when wot, when im cruising its hard to feel the shift. Our trucks are shifting the same exact way but you said i need a new tuner? huh?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
These were WOT, however the best I can tell from talking to Sam and watching, the new transmissions shift a bit different. From what I gather, (and don't take my word as gods word) but I believe the old 4L's slipped into gear during shifts and the 6L and 8L just shift and cut timing during the shift to ease the feeling of the engagement. And that's my theory on why 4L60's sometimes wore out at pretty low mileage on vehicles that were driven grandma style. I always drove my 4L60's hard and the last two I had lasted to 190k and the other I sold with 190k still going strong. I talked to a trans builder and he agreed that the aggressive driving led to less slipping during shifts and made the clutches last longer. The trans I mentioned that went to 190k was in my camaro and it had a stall in it and sticky tires for the last 60k of it's life too.

A buddy of mine just got 230k out of a 6L80 in his work truck that weighs in right at 10k (2500 6.0 gas truck with stacked job boxes etc and is way over loaded) and had never serviced in it's whole life, not one fluid change or filter. So that also makes me think that the 6L's don't slip the shift.

Edit: also Sam said those times are from beginning of clutch release to full apply. So if they are shifting that fast, IMO there's no time for slip, it must be full off and immediately full on.

Are you sure that 2500 6.0 gas truck was a 6L80e? and not a 6L90E ?
Are you
Old 12-19-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
Are you sure that 2500 6.0 gas truck was a 6L80e? and not a 6L90E ?
Are you
LOL oops
Old 12-19-2018, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

why would i need a new tuner. my truck shifts the same as yours and continues to slip into gear. exactly what atomic said. As for timing during shifts, I dont know, it pulls hard and shifts firm when wot, when im cruising its hard to feel the shift. Our trucks are shifting the same exact way but you said i need a new tuner? huh?
I feel almost all of my shifts unless it's very very light throttle, and even then sometimes I feel them. And I NEVER feel like mine slips. 100% the opposite actually. I can tell it doesn't compared to driving 4L60's and other slush boxes. So I wouldn't say ours shift the same.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 12-19-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

That is GM's goal. It should have already been tuned like that, what benefit was it to tune it to feel and act the same way GM set it up, that's spending a lot of money to have the exact same thing...Edit: I went back and read again I see you did say it's firmer at WOT and the same at part throttle as it was before and you wished it wasn't. That's part of why I said find another tuner. Maybe you don't need to find another but you could ask him to tighten it up a little at lower throttle.

Mine feels like a very well setup shift kit after the tune. No slipping, not harsh, doesn't bang into gear.

On mild acceleration you feel every gear clean and crisp and quick, but NOT jerky or harsh, tiny little bump like it should be, if you even call it a bump. It happens very quick and you feel it a little. Same at WOT it does it's thing fast and no slip and no neck breaking slams into any gear. Has a very noticeable firm engagement at WOT but never slams/bangs/chirps tires. It hits harder than stock though, in almost all situations, but never annoying, even for my wife with A LOT of disc issues in her neck. I asked if I could have it chirp on the shift and was told no, it'll just beat up the trans unnecessarily is what he said.

On mine if you hold your foot dead still and give it say 30-50 percent throttle.. when it goes to shift you feel it quickly stop pulling then all the sudden it pulls a little harder than it did in the previous gear because it went 100% engagement into the next gear and set in near peak torque so it has a bit of a pull each change in gear. It's far more noticeable on e85 since the timing is turned up more on that table. No slipping... Just quick precise changes with no slipping or banging. Because it isn't slipping and he didn't over do the reduction in timing drop.

I feel like I repeated myself a lot lol.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 12-19-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

There also could be a difference in the way we describe it. But I could tell majorly with my 4L60's when they slipped into gear and the slipping of the converter as they came up on the stall speed under light acceleration. This trans feels NOTHING like that.

I also logged the torque converter lockup, these trucks keep the lockup engaged at pretty much all times, except while idling or real low speeds. This trans feels like a standard, it always feels like there's 0% slip/just locked in gear with the clutch released. Which was confirmed when I saw it keeps the converter locked all the damn time.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 12-19-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 8 Speed trans