Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

2017 5.3 power time maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My goal has been to make the best daily driver,well like the factory could have made it.And be able to run it hard ,tow hard like I do and get good mileage if not on it.I have other cars ,but I want it all in one I spend the most time in.I do this knowing I killed the warrenty right from the get go,kind of a risk taker with confidence.

better than average,it was<br/> a long dowhill
Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JRoyPDX
The question of a tune is no question.

I'm hoping to buy a procharger with no piping, no intercooler, no software. I'll be doing my own awic setup with a waterbox.

Same for the Magnusson, I wouldn't need the pump and reservoir.

But really I'm really starting to lean toward a second truck for a toy.
I suggest call KB racing pick his brain,he may get a turbo set up just the way you want it to fab all you want,cost nothing to see what he thinks if he can do you any good.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I agree with a blower and tune for a daily. Reliable as stock and able to beat up Mustangs and SS Camaros in the 1/8th no problem at all. That's as fast as I want to go with a stock drive shaft anyway. If I would've done a thing differently I would've done LT4 injectors and pump along with the Whipple just for the future but no other regrets whatsoever. 20k miles of reliable fun so far. I would never go back to a 9 second truck because this was just too easy. I believe it's 7.8x-7.90's now since the tune but no slip yet so we'll see. However I do itch for a purpose built turbo truck and will do it in the next couple years unless I get a late model ZO6. I'm keeping the 14 though unless Ram does a hellcat RCSB 1/2 ton truck. Future looks bright either way. Conservative is better for a dd.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guy Who s going to tune my truck has a 15 regular cab with Maggie 1900. Been on for 30k it's his daily.and hasn't had 1 issue. I was talking with his and he said for these trucks the best route to go is the whipple or Maggie. The whipple wasn't available when he did his but he said whipple is by far the best and easiest
Old 09-25-2017, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I cant disagree. Ive not had a single issue with my setup either. I did have my in tank pump and module fail but that was a GM issue not Whipple. I know Mag has been a favorite for many years and for good reason. I just looked at stock vs stock dynos and that made it an easy choice because I wanted it turn key for my daily not having to change pulleys and such. I also looked at Procharger and the dyno curve wasn't as good as the Whipple either although it ultimately has more top end hp potential I'm pretty sure. Not what I was looking for anyway and then reports of belt slip too. Its my work truck and I can not afford any bs whatsoever! Don't think theres a bad choice but this was definitely the best for me and I'm still smiling!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
I cant disagree. Ive not had a single issue with my setup either. I did have my in tank pump and module fail but that was a GM issue not Whipple. I know Mag has been a favorite for many years and for good reason. I just looked at stock vs stock dynos and that made it an easy choice because I wanted it turn key for my daily not having to change pulleys and such. I also looked at Procharger and the dyno curve wasn't as good as the Whipple either although it ultimately has more top end hp potential I'm pretty sure. Not what I was looking for anyway and then reports of belt slip too. Its my work truck and I can not afford any bs whatsoever! Don't think theres a bad choice but this was definitely the best for me and I'm still smiling!
This for sure. The tuner said the Maggie has better low end but mid range and up the whipple shines. It also makes more power ones boost and temps are cooler with it. It is a little more money though. Whipple or Maggie are the only options I would go with. Bolt on, set it and forget it
Old 09-25-2017, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I've heard that on the low end too but my dyno was flat as hell on the torque. 445-450 lbs ft @ 2200 when the pull started, peak 471 lbs ft @3600 and still 465 @ 4k so...hmm. This was as it came from Whipple except custom tune on 93. When I priced mine the mag 1900 was 5900 and Whipple 2.9 was 6500 with tune but I got it on sale for 5850. The 2300 was ~ 6400 no tune and not emissions legal. Still no bad choices for a driver. I do notice it doesn't heat soak unless I hammer it repeatedly and I'm not one to abuse a good thing. I have made 3 passes back to back in about 5 min total and the 3rd was slightly slower as I recall.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I see your Sig.
JRoyPDX

I think of Judge Roy Bean,anyways Hey neighbor do you want a set of NEW/never installed pacesetter headers longtubes 1 7/8 uncoated with Y pipe for your application $250
Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
I see your Sig.
JRoyPDX

I think of Judge Roy Bean,anyways Hey neighbor do you want a set of NEW/never installed pacesetter headers longtubes 1 7/8 uncoated with Y pipe for your application $250
Possibly. You have pictures? Is the y-pipe catted?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

not catted,I dont think anything pacesetter does is catted