Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

WTF now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ready for an update guys? Listen to this ****. The day i took my truck in to the dealership for the p3400 (dod) error code the light went off as I stated above. I however followed through with the appointment just to have things checked anyway. Well i dropped my truck off at around 10:00 a.m. and was called to pick it up around 3:30. Here's the good part, they blamed the ses light on my K&N intake and threatened to void my warranty! WTF! Needless to say i showed my *** big time. They had the "mechanic" come and explain things to me..ha! He said he popped the hood, saw the intake, closed the hood and was done. Says they called Gm and they said they are not allowed to touch high performance parts. Wrote on my service ticket, by hand, the " K&N will damage MAF." Said it throws the values off and screws up the MAF. The truck ran fine even while the light was on other than the v4 mode being less active than usual. It light even went off by itself. Seems to be back to normal now i guess and the light has not come back on yet. I think i was simply denied service because they just did not want to mess with it. Called K&N and got a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. All got my montly diagnostics read out from Onstar and all systems have a green check beside them, even the air induction system. The only error it has was, indeed, with the AFM/DOD. They were just idiots. I think I have these people by the *****.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That really sucks!!! Dealerships are done with you AFTER the sale. Warranty is just a word to them!!! I've spent over $800 on mine that warranty should've covered.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BCchevy
Ready for an update guys? Listen to this ****. The day i took my truck in to the dealership for the p3400 (dod) error code the light went off as I stated above. I however followed through with the appointment just to have things checked anyway. Well i dropped my truck off at around 10:00 a.m. and was called to pick it up around 3:30. Here's the good part, they blamed the ses light on my K&N intake and threatened to void my warranty! WTF! Needless to say i showed my *** big time. They had the "mechanic" come and explain things to me..ha! He said he popped the hood, saw the intake, closed the hood and was done. Says they called Gm and they said they are not allowed to touch high performance parts. Wrote on my service ticket, by hand, the " K&N will damage MAF." Said it throws the values off and screws up the MAF. The truck ran fine even while the light was on other than the v4 mode being less active than usual. It light even went off by itself. Seems to be back to normal now i guess and the light has not come back on yet. I think i was simply denied service because they just did not want to mess with it. Called K&N and got a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. All got my montly diagnostics read out from Onstar and all systems have a green check beside them, even the air induction system. The only error it has was, indeed, with the AFM/DOD. They were just idiots. I think I have these people by the *****.

Yea thats freakin crazy they are just LAZY and fear there is a small chance they may have to actually pull the intake to check that thing out down the road so they want to say its the air filter thats outrageous. They act like the money is coming out of their pocket to pay for warranty work. Good luck man give em H**L
Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Launching!

I just started getting the P3400 code on my 07. Had it in once already and they "fixed" a loose ground. It came back on so I'm taking it back in again.

I know it's late but I found this on another forum in case anyone wants to read it,

2007 GMC Truck Sierra - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1741272
DTC P3400
Diagnostic Instructions

• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provide an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptor

DTC P3400: Cylinder Deactivation System Performance

Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit
Short to Ground
Open/High Resistance
Short to Voltage
Signal Performance
Ignition 1 Voltage
P0102, P0443, P3401, P3425, P3441, P3449
P3400, P3401, P3425, P3441, P3449
--
P3400
Cylinder 1 Deactivation Solenoid Control Circuit 1
P0300, P3401
P0300, P3400, P3401
P0300, P3401
P3400
Cylinder 4 Deactivation Solenoid Control Circuit 2
P0300, P3425
P0300, P3400, P3425
P0300, P3425
P3400
Cylinder 6 Deactivation Solenoid Control Circuit 3
P0300, P3441
P0300, P3400, P3441
P0300, P3441
P3400
Cylinder 7 Deactivation Solenoid Control Circuit 4
P0300, P3449
P0300, P3400, P3449
P0300, P3449
P3400
Circuit/System Description

The cylinder deactivation system is used to deactivate 4 cylinders of the engine under light load driving conditions. The engine control module (ECM) commands the cylinder deactivation solenoids ON to deactivate engine cylinders 1, 7, 6, and 4, switching to 4 cylinders or V4 mode. The cylinder deactivation solenoids controls the oil flow to the appropriate valve lifters. The engine operates on 8 cylinders or V8 mode, during engine starting, engine idling, and medium to heavy throttle conditions.
Ignition voltage is supplied directly to the 4 cylinder deactivation solenoids. The engine control module (ECM) controls the 4 cylinder deactivation solenoids by grounding the control circuit with a solid state device called a driver.
The Cylinder Deactivation System Performance diagnostic is a test of the internal mechanical condition of the engine, during operation in V4 mode. The engine control module (ECM) determines the internal mechanical condition of the engine through the actual measured values of the mass airflow (MAF) sensor, the intake manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor, and the throttle position sensor. The actual measured values of the 3 sensors are then compared to the calculated values for V4 mode, stored in the ECM. If the measured values are incorrect for V4 mode, the ECM will set DTC P3400, and will return to V8 mode operation.
Conditions for Running the DTC

• DTCs P0102, P0103, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0119, P0335, and P0336 are not set.
• The engine speed is between 450-6,400 RPM.
• The IAT Sensor parameter is between -7 and +125°C (+19 and +257°F).
• The ECT Sensor parameter is between 70- 125°C (158-257°F).
• Time in V8 mode is greater than 2 seconds.
• Time in V4 mode is greater than 2 seconds.
• This DTC runs continuously within the enabling conditions.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The control module detects that the actual measured values from the MAF sensor, MAP sensor, and TP sensor, is not within the range of the calculated values for V4 mode.
• The above condition is met for greater than 100 milliseconds.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• DTC P3400 is a Type B DTC.
• The engine will return to V8 mode.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC P3400 is a Type B DTC.
Diagnostic Aids

• This DTC will not set during engine idling conditions. The vehicle will need to be driven for the DTC to set.
• The valve lifter oil manifold solenoids are assigned to the following engine cylinders:
- Solenoid #1 = Cylinder #1
- Solenoid #2 = Cylinder #4
- Solenoid #3 = Cylinder #6
- Solenoid #4 = Cylinder #7
Reference Information

Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics
Connector End View Reference

• Engine Control Module Connector End Views
• Engine Controls Connector End Views
• Electrical Center Identification Views

Description and Operation

Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) System Description
Electrical Information Reference

• Circuit Testing
• Connector Repairs
• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections
• Wiring Repairs

DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions
Scan Tool Reference

• Scan Tool Data List
• Scan Tool Output Controls
• Scan Tool Data Definitions

Special Tools Required

EN-46999 Displacement On Demand Tester
Circuit/System Verification

1. Note: The engine oil level and the oil pressure are critical to the correct operation of the Cylinder Deactivation System. Verify that the engine has the correct oil level and the correct oil pressure before continuing with this diagnostic. Refer to Oil Pressure Diagnosis and Testing. Inspect the Valve Lifter Oil Filter for a restriction or blockage. Refer to Valve Lifter Oil Filter Replacement.

<LI type=1>Ignition ON, observe the scan tool DTC information. Verify that DTC P0201-P0208, P0351-P0358, P3401, P3425, P3441, or P3449 is not set.
⇒If a DTC is set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for further diagnosis.

<LI type=1>Engine idling at the normal operating temperature. Verify there is no abnormal engine noise.
⇒If there is an abnormal engine noise, refer to Symptoms - Engine Mechanical for further diagnosis.

<LI type=1>Perform the Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) System Compression Test. The Cylinder Deactivation System should pass the compression test.
2. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

1. <LI type=1>Ignition OFF, remove the valve lifter oil manifold assembly ignition fuse from the underhood fuse block. Note: Probe each terminal at the underhood fuse block with a test lamp connected to ground to determine what terminal to connect the DMM. The test lamp should not illuminate on the circuit that needs to be tested.

<LI type=1>Connect a DMM between the ignition circuit fuse terminal going to the valve lifter oil manifold assembly and the ECM housing. <LI type=1>Ignition ON, command each Cylinder 1, 4, 6, and 7 Deactivation solenoid ON and OFF with the scan tool. Verify the resistance of each solenoid is between 11-18 Ω with the solenoid commanded ON.
⇒If greater than the specified range for all cylinder deactivation solenoids, test the ignition circuit for an open/high resistance.

⇒If greater than the specified range for one or more but not all cylinder deactivation solenoids, test both the control circuit and ignition circuit for an open/high resistance or an open/high resistance in the cylinder deactivation solenoid. If the circuits and solenoid test normal replace the ECM.
2. If all circuits and components test normal, refer to Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Diagnosis and Testing for further mechanical diagnosis of valve lifter oil manifold assembly.

Component Testing
Static Test

1. <LI type=1>Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the valve lifter oil manifold assembly. <LI type=1>Connect the harness that is labeled resistance from the displacement on demand (DOD) tester to the valve lifter oil manifold connector. <LI type=1>Connect the power leads from the DOD tester to B+ and ground. Test for 11-18 Ω on each valve lifter oil manifold solenoid.
⇒If not within the specified range for each solenoid, replace the valve lifter oil manifold assembly.
2. Test for infinite resistance between each valve lifter oil manifold circuit terminal listed and the valve lifter oil manifold housing.
⇒If less than infinite resistance, replace the valve lifter oil manifold assembly.

Dynamic Test

1. <LI type=1>Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the valve lifter oil manifold assembly. <LI type=1>Connect the cable that is labeled power from the displacement on demand DOD tester to the connector. <LI type=1>Connect the power leads from the DOD tester to B+ and ground.
2. Command each valve lifter oil manifold solenoid ON and OFF using the DOD tester. You should be able to hear each solenoid turn ON and OFF.
⇒If the function does not perform as specified, replace the valve lifter oil manifold assembly.

Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

• Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Replacement

• Control Module References for ECM replacement, setup, and programming

© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The connector for the DOD is on the back of the engine just above the bellhousing. I am wondering if it has a bad connection at the plug?? Normally it is not unplugged to remove the transmission to do a rear main or any rear engine seals.

As far as warranty work go's, I can make more $ on warranty. The pen is my most valuable tool....
Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by daryn c
i really cant stand that gm put DOD in these motors. its so pointless, if you want economy, get a honda. or a bicycle.

F*&K! best thing u can do when u get your truck is turn DOD off and put a non DOD valley cover on,
CAFE standards, do they ring a bell?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:04 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3
The connector for the DOD is on the back of the engine just above the bellhousing. I am wondering if it has a bad connection at the plug?? Normally it is not unplugged to remove the transmission to do a rear main or any rear engine seals.

As far as warranty work go's, I can make more $ on warranty. The pen is my most valuable tool....
+1, this is very true. It's very likely that the tech who raised your hood after checking the code honestly isn't intelligent enough to correctly troubleshoot your truck's problem anyways. I'll add to that by saying this, If he would have attempted to diagnose & repair your truck's problem, he probably would not have been successful. It's also likely that his attempt at the repair would cause another new problem for you, because he is probably a hack. He was standing behind GM's "oiled air filter affects the MAF" bulletin just to pass on your complicated job(beyond his pea-brained abilities), just to go back to the dispatcher to get an easier "gravy" job. Those guys **** me off!

Anyways, sorry you have to deal with this, but the moral of the story here is, be glad he didn't work on your truck. Find a different dealership.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get a tune, delete DOD with tune and internal. 45,000 on mine and never had a problem. Damn, just jinx myself.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
CAFE standards, do they ring a bell?
**** cafe . im glad i put a 6.2 without dod in mine.

honestly . the best trucks are the ones eariler than 06

if i ever start over im getting a 99-04
Old 10-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Launching!

I had to go back for a third time on this code. Took it in Fri and it was finished Wed morning. They warranty replaced the Valve Lifter Manifold. Hopefully I won't have to bring it back again.

Quick Reply: WTF now?