Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no clue on the Gas ECM/TCMs... but i know on the Dmax and Vettes they can tell if a calibration has been loaded that isnt a factory calibration..

But if you do have a Dmax, then any change you make is stuck in there. Even if you try to flash the stock tune.. it doesnt matter.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter k
There is no way of telling. The calibration number will not match with any available from GM if they look for it. The only way is if they are trying to program the ecm or tcm otherwise no way of telling.

they can tell, this is all you need to know. you can swap all the pcms you wont, still wont help. you may find a dumbass tech somewhere, but if you get one who knows what he's doing, you'll be out of a warranty.

Why not just swap the ECM/PCM?

Can the ECM/PCM be changed and no one will know? No! Each module has information stored in it. Some is transferred when it is reprogrammed and some starts all over again when a module is changed. Kind of like keeping score. The module knows the miles how long it has traveled since a emission test was completed and many more little bits and bites. When a new module is put in some of the data gets moved and some does not. When a suspected tune is discovered and a technician starts to look for clues, there are more than enough clues which will not be revealed here to confirm that this is not the PCM that has been running in the car.

read more about it here:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...light=emission

and here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1993084

Last edited by slamed350; 09-30-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless there is an actual failure in parts I cannot see how a tune voids the warranty. If you raise the rev limiter, it might cause valve float. If you raise the shift points, it may cause a transmission failure. So what if you want better mileage. Do they care? They want you to buy a more economical car instead. I thought Magnuson-Moss act protected you from alot of this. If you buy a cold air intake, should that void the warranty because you are supplying more air to engine to help it breath. Its not like I bolted on a radix and crammed it down its throat .
I dont see how a muffler causes my water pump to fail to void the warranty. Sorry for the rant but there should be just alittle of consideration for both sides. A tune is a tune wether its mild or wild. If you dont care about a warranty, thats fine. But for my DD, I might want the extra mileage, should that void my warranty or not?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Occupational_Hazard
Unless there is an actual failure in parts I cannot see how a tune voids the warranty. If you raise the rev limiter, it might cause valve float. If you raise the shift points, it may cause a transmission failure. So what if you want better mileage. Do they care? They want you to buy a more economical car instead. I thought Magnuson-Moss act protected you from alot of this. If you buy a cold air intake, should that void the warranty because you are supplying more air to engine to help it breath. Its not like I bolted on a radix and crammed it down its throat .
I dont see how a muffler causes my water pump to fail to void the warranty. Sorry for the rant but there should be just alittle of consideration for both sides. A tune is a tune wether its mild or wild. If you dont care about a warranty, thats fine. But for my DD, I might want the extra mileage, should that void my warranty or not?
By customizing the tune you can run the risk of messing up, leaning it out and blowing it up. Nothing even remotely like throwing on an intake and headers. But I agree. Just tune it and be done. They will only check if they have a reason to suspect you screwed something up.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bring it in with a bunch of rubber hanging on the fender wells and bumper Thy might get a little
Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by circusboy
Don't bring it in with a bunch of rubber hanging on the fender wells and bumper Thy might get a little
Not gonna happen. It's still a 4.8
Old 10-01-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I broke 1st 2nd 3rd and reverse gears when the truck had 2700KMS on the clock I drove the hell out of it in desert til It wrote service 4wd and then I hear some kraking noises until it didnt move. and waited for 1 month for the dealer to fix it on warranty now I'm gonna Kill the warranty next week
Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here maybe this will help.

Subject: Identifying Aftermarket Engine and Transmission Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L Gas Powered Engines Only and 6T40/45 (MH8), 6T70/75 (MH2, MH4, MH6, MY9), 6L50 (MYB) 6L80 (MYC) or 6L90 (MYD) Automatic Transmission

Models: 2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

EXCLUDING Pontiac Vibe, Wave, Chevrolet Aveo, All Saturn and Saab Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to remove the Pontiac G8 from the list of excluded vehicles. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-033A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important: This bulletin applies to Gas Powered Engines ONLY. For Diesel Powered Engines, refer to Service Bulletin #08-06-04-006A.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than the calibrations which these components were validated to. Repairs to engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN):
Go to TIS2WEB
Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"
Enter VIN
Select "Get Cal ID"
Select "ECM Engine Control Module" or "TCM Transmission Control Module"
Select "Next"
Select "Complete History"
Print
Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2®
Plug in the Tech 2®
Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle
Select "Powertrain"
Select "Engine"
*Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM" or "TCM"
*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
*If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.
Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.
* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM or TCM (CVN's on the Tech 2® do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVNs that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to JAY.DANKOVICH@GM.COM and STEVEN.R.BRIDSON@GM.COM for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVNs are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Launching!

if it can prove to part failure, then it's voided.

common sense must not be too common...
Old 10-04-2008, 10:01 PM
FormerVendor

Only 500 miles of warranty left on mine, but i just tuned today haha, oh well.

Quick Reply: Warranty question