Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

VARARAM RAM AIR for GMT900's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CI DENALI
Thanks. Any idea what kind of gains he got from it?
BTW: I found it on BYUNSPEED yesterday listed for $259.00. That's a good deal, I think.

I just wish it had molded hard plastic intake tubes instead of those flex hoses, though.
his truck is completely stock. he ran a best of 15.4. He says he definately felt the diff. with the intake but hasn't been to the track since the install
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yesterday I installed the Vararam on my truck. It honestly doesn't appear to be of the best quality but everything fits decent, except that the air cleaner assembly just barely brushes against the right side fan housing. I'll take some pictures later and post them. I also don't really like the flex hoses, and I think that if they could design some molded plastic intake tubes to relace these, it would really look and work a lot better.
However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is a noticeable SOTP improvement in acceleration over the Volant CAI. The motor revs and sounds cleaner @ WOT and I swear that even at light throttle the throttle response is much crisper and the truck accelerates easier with less throttle imput. Even the small flat spot that I had after porting my TB is gone. Unfortunately, the local track is closed for repairs, so I was unable to do any definitive testing, but as soon as I can, I will, and post the numbers. But for now, I'm realy loving how this thing works.
Also, by having the put the MAF up against the TB and by having to use a short peice of hose to adapt the MAF up to the size of the hose that goes over the TB, I realize now that the biggest restriction by far in the inlet tract is the MAF. I'm gonna order a Granatelli MAF next and see what that does. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Launching!

My jet power flow MAF sensor works great. And i just had my throttle body ported and there is no flat spot in mine, and it actually accelerates better at light throttle and pulls alot harder on the top end. All around greatness.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

I just tuned a truck yesterday that had this intake. I was pretty impressed with it the MAP would clime up to 101 and would restrict only to 99-100, mainly stayed at 100. Another thing that impressed me was the IAT's outside temp was 76 deg. driving normal the IAT's were 89 deg, as soon as you would floor it, they would drop all the way down to 84 deg. I'm not to impressed with the looks but I liked it's performance.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlueSS
I just tuned a truck yesterday that had this intake. I was pretty impressed with it the MAP would clime up to 101 and would restrict only to 99-100, mainly stayed at 100. Another thing that impressed me was the IAT's outside temp was 76 deg. driving normal the IAT's were 89 deg, as soon as you would floor it, they would drop all the way down to 84 deg. I'm not to impressed with the looks but I liked it's performance.
Does that mean that you are getting full atmospheric pressure +/- 1? That makes sense because this thing flows over 2000CFM, so it can't be a restriction!
I haven't logged a run on my truck lately, and I don't know if there is anything left on the table HP-wise without a re-tune, but I definitely love how my truck runs with this intake!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

what are you doing with your volant?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
what are you doing with your volant?
I already gave it to my brother for his Avalanche.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CI DENALI
Does that mean that you are getting full atmospheric pressure +/- 1? That makes sense because this thing flows over 2000CFM, so it can't be a restriction!
I haven't logged a run on my truck lately, and I don't know if there is anything left on the table HP-wise without a re-tune, but I definitely love how my truck runs with this intake!
pretty much I believe atmospheric pressure is 101
Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

just make sure you clean it, regulary
Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeGibbSilverado
just make sure you clean it, regulary
Yeah, I can imagine that it catches a lot of **** with those two ducts behind the front grille! The other thing is that it doesn't come with a cleaner and re-oiler kit like the K&N's do, so I guess I'll have to use K&N oil when i clean it in the future.

On another note, I've noticed that since the VaraRam blocks up a bit of the air space behind the radiator, my water and trans temps are now running about 5 degrees higher in the daytime (in traffic), but I don't think that's such a big deal. I'm just going to order a SLP 160 thermostat as soon as it's in stock at summit.

Quick Reply: VARARAM RAM AIR for GMT900's