PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/)
-   -   VARARAM RAM AIR for GMT900's (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/vararam-ram-air-gmt900s-440133/)

CI DENALI 04-30-2009 06:09 PM

VARARAM RAM AIR for GMT900's

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone installed one of these as yet? If so, what kind of gains if any have you seen? VaraRam claims up to .5 sec. drop in 1/4mile ET! I've looked at the instructions and it seems to be a straightforward install...Summit has it for $370.00

m3srt 05-01-2009 02:48 AM

thats a lot of money ...

JB1 05-01-2009 06:51 AM

I think theres 2 or 3 threads on this further down, but as far as I remember nobody has bought one.

Just Enough 05-01-2009 11:24 AM

I had a Vararam on my C5Z and it definitely added some push above 50 mph. I never formally documented the gain. It doesn't actually provide ram air (positive pressure) but reduces the vacuum in the intake tract by almost a pound. C5 Corvettes would routinely gain 3 to 4 tenths in the quarter with the addition of a Vararam. Many many posted results of this on the Corvette Forum. The Vararam kits vary in performance between vehicles, the kit you showed for the new GMs looks like it should work well, the previous generation GM truck Vararam with the tongue over the core support didn't seem to show any form of air management.

NoChrome 05-01-2009 12:11 PM

I had an older version, with the flap that went over the radiator. It was crap. Terrible fit and finish, it looked like something I could make at home with a plastic kit and my oven. There is a guy on here that made a home-made ducted ram air for his 03-07 body style, Ill see if I can find him. Im sure you could copy his basic idea and get a better kit for a lot less, only sacrificing some time.

CI DENALI 05-01-2009 05:49 PM

It's actually only about $8.00 more than the Volant that I have on my truck now, which looks really good, but which I've just discovered has what appears to be stress cracks in the intake tube which was leaking vacuum and causing my truck to idle erractically. Right now I have the frickin thing taped up with electrical tape, so I was toying with the idea of buying the VaraRam rather than a new intake tube.
I agree about the flex hose though. Looks like something that should be hidden behind a dryer, not under the hood of a new vehicle. There must be some way that they could mold some plastic intake tubes instead of that crap. But, if it works...

norris_83 05-02-2009 03:51 PM

There's a few ppl who have this in kuwait and they seem to love it! I should be buying one in the near future hopefullly, so I'll let u know how it goes... but to me, it looks like the dogs bullocks... 2000cfm????

You'd be getting true iats, ur maf is directly infront of your MAP sensor so timing, tuning etc would be much more accurate.. all around i think it would outflow anything out on the market today..

a_guerrajr 05-04-2009 02:05 PM

guy that bought my old grille said he had one and he liked it a lot. i just can't see it being worth that much money.

BlueSS 05-05-2009 10:19 AM

user on here, his name is sierraspeed, he has it and likes it. You could shoot him a pm if you have any question about it. as for fitment it installs quick and easy, I helped him install it.

CI DENALI 05-05-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSS (Post 4197098)
user on here, his name is sierraspeed, he has it and likes it. You could shoot him a pm if you have any question about it. as for fitment it installs quick and easy, I helped him install it.

Thanks. Any idea what kind of gains he got from it?
BTW: I found it on BYUNSPEED yesterday listed for $259.00. That's a good deal, I think.

I just wish it had molded hard plastic intake tubes instead of those flex hoses, though.