Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Is it the Tranny or is it the Tune??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the Tranny or is it the Tune??

what sup guys, i have been experiencing some delay in shifting from 1st to 2nd.

here is what its doin ( it does it about 40% of the time btw, not always) when i step on it from a dig or 20 mph, it takes off real nice but right when its about to shift to 2nd, the power cuts off for like half a second or so then it shifts. it feels like if torque management kicks in or hits the rev limiter? do not know...i have been told also maybe to add tranny fluid? that when i step on it the momentum slings all the oil to the back of the pan or something like that. and while driving normal its fine everything is as normal as can be.. only at WOT.. my question is have any of guys experience anything like this? if so what did u do to fix it? i have a 6l80 btw

thanks in advance guys?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't lablackbeast having this problem?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my truck did somethin simular, when i would get on it from a 30 it would spin causin the traction controll to come on, so i just turn off the tc when i get on it from a roll. Could that be wat your feeling
Old 11-04-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blackvmax07
my truck did somethin simular, when i would get on it from a 30 it would spin causin the traction controll to come on, so i just turn off the tc when i get on it from a roll. Could that be wat your feeling
well i dont think so i always have it turned off all the way(leaving it pressed for 10 sec till it says "stabilitrak off" or sumthing like that).. but i dont know, now that i think bout it it would do it every now and then befor i tuned it... maybe i should add fluid to the tranny? does anyone know if its bad or not to add fluid even though the fluid level is where it should be? its just its really annoying especially when ur racing someone who is just as fast as u and when ur bout to shift they get that lil jump..
Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

so nobody has felt anything like this?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the sounds of it,it sounds like it is bumping the rev limiter for a split second
before the shift!!
all of the tq managment is not taken out,nor do I recommend taking it all out IMO
Old 11-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy
Wasn't lablackbeast having this problem?
no,his truck has other issues
Old 11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

This might sound stupid, but it could be your fuel level was too low.
I had this exact problem when I was tuning and testing last night and could've sworn that it was the tune or the Tranny or TCM f@cking up on me. I have the shift points set at 6750rpm with the new cam and on one run it shut down completely on the 1st-2nd shift and again on the 2nd -3rd, (like it had hit the fuel cutoff). When we looked at the EFI Live scan, it was shifting at 6200! We were completely baffled because we haven't touched the TCM tune in weeks. Turned out that the gas level was too low (between 1/4 and E) and it must have been losing fuel press up high. One stop at the gas station cured it. Right before the run where it started to shut off, I had made a run and it felt like it was shifting slow up top, like a "cotton shift" - must have been that the fuel was starting to aerate around the pickup. I was convinced it was the tranny slipping. I've never been happier leaving the gas station, I can tell you that! I hope that's what is your prob too, Charly.
It's not your tranny, if it needed oil it would slip and not shift properly as soon as you launch it. At least, that's what mine did after I installed the converter. I had to add three more quarts and then it worked perfectly. These 6L80E's are tough, I can tell you - I got about 100runs on mine now with spray (knock on wood). I also disable the Stabilitrack by holding the T/C button in for 10secs.
BTW: A bit off topic, but we seem to be getting the VVT Cam phaser dialed in. Created a custom phaser curve and added some timing to the cam phaser ignition timing table, and its starting to feel beastly now! more tuning tonight and I'll post the results soon.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wheatley
From the sounds of it,it sounds like it is bumping the rev limiter for a split second
before the shift!!
all of the tq managment is not taken out,nor do I recommend taking it all out IMO
what sup charlie, well yea i also dont wanna take it all out either, doubt it will a lot less safe without it all but um i dunno..i noticed that when i punch it from right at 28 mph or close to around there it doesnt do it.. but from anything less (0 to 25) it does..maybe i can stop by sometime when your not busy to show you and if maybe a lil tweakin helps?

Originally Posted by CI DENALI
This might sound stupid, but it could be your fuel level was too low.
I had this exact problem when I was tuning and testing last night and could've sworn that it was the tune or the Tranny or TCM f@cking up on me. I have the shift points set at 6750rpm with the new cam and on one run it shut down completely on the 1st-2nd shift and again on the 2nd -3rd, (like it had hit the fuel cutoff). When we looked at the EFI Live scan, it was shifting at 6200! We were completely baffled because we haven't touched the TCM tune in weeks. Turned out that the gas level was too low (between 1/4 and E) and it must have been losing fuel press up high. One stop at the gas station cured it. Right before the run where it started to shut off, I had made a run and it felt like it was shifting slow up top, like a "cotton shift" - must have been that the fuel was starting to aerate around the pickup. I was convinced it was the tranny slipping. I've never been happier leaving the gas station, I can tell you that! I hope that's what is your prob too, Charly.
It's not your tranny, if it needed oil it would slip and not shift properly as soon as you launch it. At least, that's what mine did after I installed the converter. I had to add three more quarts and then it worked perfectly. These 6L80E's are tough, I can tell you - I got about 100runs on mine now with spray (knock on wood). I also disable the Stabilitrack by holding the T/C button in for 10secs.
BTW: A bit off topic, but we seem to be getting the VVT Cam phaser dialed in. Created a custom phaser curve and added some timing to the cam phaser ignition timing table, and its starting to feel beastly now! more tuning tonight and I'll post the results soon.
hmm well it has done it with full tanks and anywhere in between.. i don think that could be the issue, unless maybe some type of fuel sensor of some sort but i doubt that, or who knows..

so ur getting that cam dialed in some huh. glad to hear im sure its a matter of tweakin the whole setup to getting it where u want it.

thanks for all the info guys
Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

since you have a tune could it be that the line pressure is not backing off?

does this happen if you step on it and then let off a bit?

Quick Reply: Is it the Tranny or is it the Tune??