Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

These frontends are GARBAGE

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS/SS 4.8
Replaced my lower balljoints about 1500 miles ago with moog and now its popping again when I turn. SOB.
These trucks should have a conventional strut bearing upper mount, If it does (I haven't done any major work on these at all), then you might want to see what condition it is in.

I know on all the conventional macpherson strut cars, that a popping/clunking while turning was probably the upper strut mount, if everything else was within spec.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. But then again it doesnt turn like on a fwd car. It just bolts up to the frame and holds the weight. Regardless ill check it.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

These trucks don't have a pivoting upper strut mount like a typical Setup, it's got standard upper/lower control arms like the 800's but where the coil/shock mounted, it's just got a shock/spring "assembly" strut combo. Basically all they did was make the spring/shock package one part assembly. Upper and lower arms are placed as usual. I wouldn't rule out any of the rubber isolaters on the spring or mounts.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
All but maybe 1000 of them. The only time I drive that thing is when we go out of town or to eat or something and we take that truck. And all she does with it is drive back and forth to work. The thing hasn't seen anything worse than dusty pavement since I put the parts on. It's not like I took the thing rock crawling lol. Hell, even my driveway is asphalt..

Well there was that one time I turned around in the grass in the front yard... Think that did it?

The tires showed up yesterday after being ordered the day prior, I can't say enough about Discount Tire Direct. Basically free overnight shipping on 4 40lb tires?! Awesome. Got road hazard and the warranty with them and it was still less than every tire shop locally. Mount/balance will cost me another $80 and alignment another $70 but I consider an alignment normal maintenance, so that's not a big deal. By the time they're on the truck I'll have less than $750 in them and that's with a 65,000 mile warranty. I don't think that's bad at all.

I used to chuckle at guys who shopped for tires because of a tread wear number, I have now become one of them haha. I guess I am getting tired of buying tires in my old age, not to mention I've got other stuff to spend money on these days like... Um... A kid, so yeah

sorry to ressurect an old thread, but i'm researching Cognito Pitman and Idler arm braces, and also need new tires. Here's my dilemma, I want 305's on my stock 2000 z71 wheels, like i have been using the past 10 years but Discount Tire changed their policy and will only mount 285's on a stock rim...I'm wondering if i can buy online have them shipped then still have discount do the rotate and balance through their warranty?