Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Suggestions on building an LQ4 tow rig

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
I'm probably totally wrong but I thought I read you dont want to tow using a supercharger. Like they get too hot. Turbos are the way to go. Just what I read.
That's pretty much the opposite of what I have read. You want a supercharger for the instant torque, which is beneficial for towing applications. You get your load up to speed faster and with any hills or extra power needs you have the power on tap, but generally you aren't in boost and shouldn't be, as then you are sucking down the fuel. Heat can be a problem with either (turbo/supercharger) but there are ways to mitigate it. Turbos work differently in a diesel application where they can work in high boost conditions pretty much all the time.

If you really look into it, almost every recommendation for towing + boost is supercharger. There have been a few people who went outside the usual here and built turbo trucks for towing duty with success but not many examples that I have come across.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbravo
That's pretty much the opposite of what I have read. You want a supercharger for the instant torque, which is beneficial for towing applications. You get your load up to speed faster and with any hills or extra power needs you have the power on tap, but generally you aren't in boost and shouldn't be, as then you are sucking down the fuel. Heat can be a problem with either (turbo/supercharger) but there are ways to mitigate it. Turbos work differently in a diesel application where they can work in high boost conditions pretty much all the time.

If you really look into it, almost every recommendation for towing + boost is supercharger. There have been a few people who went outside the usual here and built turbo trucks for towing duty with success but not many examples that I have come across.
How much boost with a supercharger could a bone stock LQ4 handle? That’s not a good way to ask it - let me rephrase: how much boost is a safe amount to run on a bone stock LQ4 that’ll get me a noticeable amount of towing power?

Also, centrifugal or roots style supercharger?
Old 09-12-2018, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,434 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Roots, with an intercooler
<10psi and you'll be fine provided you have the fuel system and tuning to accommodate.

Ive towed a bunch with a P1, and with the 5.3 it was fine because lil girl needed some RPM anyway, but 10/10 suggest a roots. I too am putting together an LSA setup. Was saving it for my 408, but I think its destined for my 5.3 and my 408 may have a price tag on it.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbravo

That doesn't make sense. A turbo can provide near instant torque when the engine is loaded; much sooner than a supercharger. A superchargers boost is based on RPM. Thats why turbos are used on diesel and towing rigs. Turbos behave the same on gas engines. I paired up a small turbo with my previous sports car and it made a **** ton of torque way down low.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 344 Likes on 264 Posts

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...estion-551728/

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...towing-552465/

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-6-0-a-552442/

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ations-550618/

This is not a new discussion.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

All the discussions (kbracing too) center around heat issues and turbos with gassers. I can see that now. Thanks for the info!

That said I'm still getting a LSA blower ;-) though I'll miss the turbo noises.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

So, what you said about RPM dependent isnt 100% true.
Roots blowers make (for example) 10psi off idle and 10psi at redline. Generally speaking, boost generally falls off a little bit up top.

The reason for this is they move 500cfm at 650rpm, and they move 5000cfm at 6500rpm. The engine is only ingesting 50cfm at 650rpm WOT, and 4000cfm at 6500. So that air accumulates in the manifold, aka boost. Disclaimer, those numbers are straight outta my *** without toilet paper. But roots blowers move a TON of air. And the extra air the engine cant consume turns into boost.

There is no blower of any type on the face of this planet that can beat a roots for air delivery at low RPM, aka towing speeds.

Diesels use turbos for a variety of reasons, mainly they move more exhaust per stroke, so they boost up turbos fasters. Dont forget tho, a 2 stroke diesel uses a roots blower to feed itself air, and it considered naturally aspirated. Most 2 stroke diesels redline sub 2k rpm. In ships, most of them redline 500rpm.

Those facts are not out of my butt.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by arthursc2
So, what you said about RPM dependent isnt 100% true.
Roots blowers make (for example) 10psi off idle and 10psi at redline. Generally speaking, boost generally falls off a little bit up top.

The reason for this is they move 500cfm at 650rpm, and they move 5000cfm at 6500rpm. The engine is only ingesting 50cfm at 650rpm WOT, and 4000cfm at 6500. So that air accumulates in the manifold, aka boost. Disclaimer, those numbers are straight outta my *** without toilet paper. But roots blowers move a TON of air. And the extra air the engine cant consume turns into boost.

There is no blower of any type on the face of this planet that can beat a roots for air delivery at low RPM, aka towing speeds.

Diesels use turbos for a variety of reasons, mainly they move more exhaust per stroke, so they boost up turbos fasters. Dont forget tho, a 2 stroke diesel uses a roots blower to feed itself air, and it considered naturally aspirated. Most 2 stroke diesels redline sub 2k rpm. In ships, most of them redline 500rpm.

Those facts are not out of my butt.
I never made claims about things coming out of your butt. But alright then.

Good info, thanks
Old 09-12-2018, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

all the numbers I provided for the roots air delivery were out of my butt, so I just wanted that disclaimer to be known.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by arthursc2
all the numbers I provided for the roots air delivery were out of my butt, so I just wanted that disclaimer to be known.
Can we stop talking about your butt? C'mon....

Quick Reply: Suggestions on building an LQ4 tow rig