GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

A replacement shock question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A replacement shock question

Hey all,

I recently lowered my truck 2/4 and from searching I found people liking the Belltech drop shocks. I must say, they are not what I need. This winter has brought such cold that the roads are the bumpiest ever! I saw a post about how these shocks tend to be defects from the box and I wonder if they are as I was able to compress them no problem. I figured they had different valving but no, they just do not work for my needs. I like a bit of a stiffer ride. I am torn between the Bilstein 5100 series and the Rancho 9000's. I have searched here and the internet for reviews that pertain to my setup but it was mostly about lifted trucks.

To get a good ride, little stiffer and long use, would you go Bilstein or Rancho? My original choice was Bilstein but IIRC some reviews steered me to my Belltech's. The only reason I thought about Rancho was a thread or two here mentioned they worked. But my last ranchos' bushings failed and then it popped a seal in 5 months on my 98 c1500 with NO MODS. Some say the Bilstein are a slight higher quality over OE. This is why I am torn and cannot decide.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

I have the belltechs and they're much better than a worn out set of factory struts.... You should be able to compress them without issue, they're not a spring, but a shock. Now, if you're able to push and pull the rod in and out quickly, you might have a bad strut. I was looking into Ranch 9000's myself, but I didn't think it would work with my truck, because I wanted a total of 3" of drop in the front. I did like the fact that the ranchos were adjustable as far as dampening goes. I believe some of the factory trucks came with bilsteins, as part as a package or something, so they're probably pretty good too.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Launching!

I have Belltech Struts in front and love em. The rear shocks are Belltech drop shocks but they are not what i want. Bilsteins came stock on Z71's I believe. I may end up with those but was hoping some people would chime about what they use. I remember someone here uses ranchos in back but cannot remember who
Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Okay. I am really only trying to get a good shock that is meant for a lowered truck that will help keep me to the ground. I drive a LOT in Chicago and the potholes are terrible and these nitro drop shocks from belltech are terrible. I also drive a lot of highway and those shocks suck in corners. Does anyone have some good pointers aside from a sway bar because that will be added later after the trans. I heard someone said they used RC9000's but I cannot find any specs for length required to get them. I would really rather get Bilsteins but again cannot find part numbers or specs to go by.