Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Remove Bump Stops or Get Aftermarket Ones?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have shackles and removed blocks and i did hit the bumpstops every now and then, i just cut them down to the last groove, doesnt hit anymore
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by texasglock23
Sorry, never heard of anyone running a shackle and sitting on bumpstops, even on my nbs at 4" I have about 2" before I am on mine.
When I had the blocks removed I had about a 1/2" till bump stops. I put the blocks back in temporarily. So I wasn't necessarily riding bump stops I just had no travel
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fiveminutes
i have shackles and removed blocks and i did hit the bumpstops every now and then, i just cut them down to the last groove, doesnt hit anymore
Oh ok that's what I was lookin for. I was planning to take the blocks back out and just cut that first groove off but maybe I'll copy yours and cut to the second groove
Old 09-13-2012, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

On a side note AUTO, we basically have the same trucks and mods (minus the headers). How did you like your BB tune? Was it truly noticeable, if so what did you like most about the tune?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

I've got shackles and took the factory block and overload leaf out and all I did was cut anout an inch or so off mine and every once in a while when I tow a 16' aluminum car hauler with a bagged and bodied s-10 on it, it will kiss them sometimes. Other than that it rides like a caddy.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97aztecgt
On a side note AUTO, we basically have the same trucks and mods (minus the headers). How did you like your BB tune? Was it truly noticeable, if so what did you like most about the tune?
I guess to start the story I had the chance to try out a Superchips hand held tuner. I absolutely hated it. all it did was make my shifts so hard my dash rattled, made my coolant fan come on earlier to "seem like its running cooler" and up my shift points so high I let off the throttle cause I didnt wanna float a valve. not to mention all they're tunes are useless! you click 87 octane and it says warning do not tow. click on 91 octane and it says warning do not tow.you click on towing it says warning use 91 octane. THEN you click on economy and guess what it says?? use 91 octane and do not tow.
I ordered the black bear EFI LIVE kit cause these trucks have an in transmission TCM so thats about our only option. it was only a 100$ ish more then the hand held tuner anyways. it was really easy to figure out, hook it to your computer and update files etc. then go out for a drive and bag on your truck, then send them the data.
it took about 3ish days and I got my tune back. I noticed a drastic difference. I find that it shifts smoother and at the proper times, it seems to be in the right gear...especially going up hills im not pushing the gas down and down then bam its down shifting 2 gears. even just regular accelerating I feel its smoother and more responsive. as for MPG...when not driving like a 16 year old i'm getting about 50ish km more per tank in city and almost 100km more per tank high way.
my favorite feature would probly be the life time tunes and tweaks, if I decide to cam soon and do head work etc etc all I do is send an email and get a new tune, OR if you find something you wanna tweak you can ask for that.
if you take a gander over on fullsizechevy.com those guys swear their lives to BBP and theres a whole section of the forum just for that.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

within the next week or so I'm gonna take the blocks out and chop some off the bump stops.
IF I have the time ill do a couple before and after pics on the drive on rack just for comparison from 2" to 3"
I seem to have pulled a "DEEEERP" though and lost those 1" spacers to remove the blocks, do you think I could just use some washers or would those kinda wear down and not maintain proper torque over time?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by afterburn84
I've got shackles and took the factory block and overload leaf out and all I did was cut anout an inch or so off mine and every once in a while when I tow a 16' aluminum car hauler with a bagged and bodied s-10 on it, it will kiss them sometimes. Other than that it rides like a caddy.
way to rub your dime in haha. Ive got mine all apart and so far i've got the fuel door and tails shaved, gotta weld in my cali combo and shave the door handles. maybe spring ish itll be up for a cruise
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I havent had a chance to upload the pics yet but I measured with the 2" rear drop, I have 1 1/2" travel between the bump stop and axle. i'll get on the pics this evening hopefully
Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

22708540.jpg?t=1347941987

aa6decca.jpg?t=1347941987

this is at the current 2" drop. I'll get pics once I get time to remove the blocks, and i'll take pics before cutting the bump stops

Quick Reply: Remove Bump Stops or Get Aftermarket Ones?