Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Rebuild the 6l80 or 4l80 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Unless there was more than what i am seeing in the pan, check the valves in the valve body, and the screens on the tcm, may have a blown screen causing at least part of the issues. But agree with everyone else, 4l80 is a downgrade in that truck, unless youre planning on a ton of power, rebuild it and keep going!!!
what do u mean by screens in the tcm. It says shift sylenoid A "performance shift solenoid stuck off" . Before I changed the fluid and filter it said all of them were stuck off
Old 02-17-2017, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

You would have to separate the tcm from the valve body, remove the seal plate and there are membranes or screens on each solenoid, if they blown out it messes with the pressures and typically throws codes... and metal can get into the tcm through them!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Carp
what do u mean by screens in the tcm. It says shift sylenoid A "performance shift solenoid stuck off" . Before I changed the fluid and filter it said all of them were stuck off
Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
You would have to separate the tcm from the valve body, remove the seal plate and there are membranes or screens on each solenoid, if they blown out it messes with the pressures and typically throws codes... and metal can get into the tcm through them!
that kinda makes sense. I've been reading these forums and I still feel like I learn something every time. I grew up on manuals
Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Carp
that kinda makes sense. I've been reading these forums and I still feel like I learn something every time. I grew up on manuals
thanks for the suggestions. I might as well pull the pan and valve body and check. If I can fix my trans cheaper just cuz some dummy didn't change the filter that'd be awesome. I could totally buy a cam and valvesprings tune and maybe nitrous for the price of a trans. But I guess u can't build a tree without a trunk
Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

The three rings at the bottom with the bolt between the two are the membranes... had to dig this pic out of my thread... somehwere around page 33 or so!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Well thanks for the digging. So basically pull the pan again and dig a little further. I mean if the clutches are good they're good right. It just messed up almost all at once and the trans temp fully warmed up is like maybe 165
Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

If it was all at once it may be a sticking valve or two in the valve body