Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

perfect cam for l92 6.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This cam choice thing is giving me a headache: Overlap vs. no overlap? Lopey idle vs. smooth? - VVT or no VVT? Comp, Mast or Futral? Too many damn choices, almost!!

same for me is the vvt a big deal? is it gonna make that much of a difference if i get a smaller cam nd leave the vvt on as compared to getting a larger cam and turning the vvt off?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by norris_83
watch out when getting the Mast cam your thinking about... I have it installed on my Denali and its not wat it's meant out to be.. I guess it's to do with the lobe design, the idle is rough and its not smooth at all... I've even removed the VVT coz I thought that was the problem, but still feels like a 112. It could be due to the higher duration though

but take my advice and go with a cam from Comp. They have the years of research in designing lobes and I've heard great things about their new lobe design. Will be getting one in soon as well
Thanks for the advice norris. I was thinking of pming you before I ordered it, because I knew you had trouble with yours. The rough idle I could probably live with, if it makes power. Did it seem like a big difference or better yet did you dyno it since you installed the cam?
What about the VVT? Did you feel a difference when you took it out?

BTW:Interestingly enough, there is a cam test article for the LS3 in the most recent GM High Tech Mag. for cams from different manufacturers, including Mast, Comp Lunati, Futral, Livernois, Lingerfelter, Katech and GMHP vs. the stock LS3 cam. What I didn't realize was how much bigger the stock LS3 cam is than the L92. I know they aren't interchangeable, since the VVT core is different, but I can't help feel that GM could make at lest another 30hp out of the L92 with a bigger cam without compromising idle and low end torque, especially since the new 2010 VVT trucks come with less phasing (like 30degrees vs. 50for the earlier trucks).
What I found really interesting was that when GMHTP measured the actual specs of the cam, the Mast Cam (which had identical specs as the "Escalade" cam you have) was the closest to the advertised specs. Even Comp's specs were out significantly more than Mast's. In the article Mast is quoted as saying that those specs were developed for the L67 6.0 truck, and that they have bigger cams (which we know, but they recommended the Escalade one for me too).
The strange thing is, that cam has exactly 0 degress of overlap, so it should in theory have no reversion, and should accordingly be able to idle decently. GMHTP claimed that it idled nicely. It made 518 hp (flywheel) vs. 483 hp(!) with the stock cam, so it wasn't that impressive, although GMHTP claims it idled nicely. So go figure, just more confusion...
I wish that GMHTP had done a test comparing the Comp to Mast and other VVT grinds, so we could have an apples to apples, independent test to go on. The narrower LSA will help (that's why darync is making a ton of midrange power, IMHO, since he has 110LSA) but at the expense of reversion and a rough idle. The real problem is that none of these guys seem interested in selling a tune or at least some basic tuning instructions with the cam. They even sell the phaser limiter separately (WTF?) when you need that to keep the bigger cam from shoving the valves through your pistons.
The other problem is that I have been waiting since June for Summit to get the damn Comp VVT in stock, but they keep extending the expected arrival/backorder date (I'm beginning to wonder if they'll ever get it in?).
Thanks again for your input, but now I'm even more uncertain about which cam to go with!

Last edited by CI DENALI; 09-29-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

I am still checking this thread on daily basis to see what cam you people recommend.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

just run a regular single bolt cam. call bullet cams or comp they will spec you one .

thats my recommendation
Old 10-01-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered the Mast Escalade cam package yesterday, along with their 20 degree phaser limiter and a set of their hardened pushrods. Hoping it will be here tomorrow. If it is, I'm sticking it in this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes...
Old 01-17-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone know the spec's of the stock L92 Cam. I'd like to know B4 I get the truck..........................
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 AM

Default hey

guys am getting a big headache to choice the perfect cam for my 5.3 any suggestions that will work best ??
Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

For the 5.3 a Comp Cams XR259 is the schizzle! That is if ya don't wanna get a stall for the trans and everything else.............
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Default hi

thank man
i got tci kit on the gear , headers , cat back , volant air intake ,spacer
and want any suggestions for the cams and any other good items for performance
what do u think ?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yknow, I'm conservative when it comes to cams. With what ya got I'm gonna say COmp Cams Xr269..................

Quick Reply: perfect cam for l92 6.2?