Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

NNBS 4l60e swap to 4L80e...whos done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:12 AM
cam
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been out of the loop here for a while. This thread is full of win!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Just wanted to update, my truck is fully operational, 4x4 4L80E using the stock transfercase and a 32spline tcase input shaft from a hybrid truck in my NNBS.

What we did for the tuning is this: flashed the truck with the Chevy Express Van stock tune, replaced my TCM with a spare and flashed my old tune back in then we swapped the TCM's back so I have my old tune on the PCM and the Chevy Express Van tune on the TCM and worked like a charm.

None of the local wreckers had an actual TCM from a van, when they looked up the part for a van TCM they would see them in stock but it was really from a Impalla or truck or other GM vehicle with the same generation TCM. I guess the intention is the TCM will work and you just need to reflash it but in our case where I was looking at buying it for the programing that's on it that wasn't an option for me.

Took quite a bit of fine tuning the trans parameters but it works great now. The one thing that is a bit annoying is the 4L80E unlocks the converter at 0% throttle so when you coast for a second then get back on the gas it unlocks then locks but otherwise it's amazing.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cam
been out of the loop here for a while. This thread is full of win!
Hey, local guy, was very hard to find a shop to do my 4L80E swap but I did find one and they did an amazing job!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GXPJAY
Just wanted to update, my truck is fully operational, 4x4 4L80E using the stock transfercase and a 32spline tcase input shaft from a hybrid truck in my NNBS.

What we did for the tuning is this: flashed the truck with the Chevy Express Van stock tune, replaced my TCM with a spare and flashed my old tune back in then we swapped the TCM's back so I have my old tune on the PCM and the Chevy Express Van tune on the TCM and worked like a charm.

None of the local wreckers had an actual TCM from a van, when they looked up the part for a van TCM they would see them in stock but it was really from a Impalla or truck or other GM vehicle with the same generation TCM. I guess the intention is the TCM will work and you just need to reflash it but in our case where I was looking at buying it for the programing that's on it that wasn't an option for me.

Took quite a bit of fine tuning the trans parameters but it works great now. The one thing that is a bit annoying is the 4L80E unlocks the converter at 0% throttle so when you coast for a second then get back on the gas it unlocks then locks but otherwise it's amazing.
Awesome this answered alot of questions I had. So I can get a 4L80E 4x4 for my 2007 avalanche which is 4x4.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't mean to hose down anyone's parade, but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to say the least to stoutly build the 4L60e..........?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
Don't mean to hose down anyone's parade, but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to say the least to stoutly build the 4L60e..........?
Sarcasm?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Launching!

I hope so...
Old 01-12-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cdub81
Sarcasm?

No- a serious inquiry...............
Old 01-12-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Building a Level 5+ 4L60E costs A LOT of money and for some people it still not strong enough.

I probably spent more than most since I didn't do any of the work myself and I spent $2500 for the 4L80E with full rebuild with shift kit (nothing really upgraded just rebuilt) Then getting it installed cost me 3k (including all labor, new crossmember, new front and rear drive shafts etc.) so I'm at $5500 for something that is for sure going to handle the power.

You can spend that much on a 4L60E + labor for install and it "might" handle the power so for me it was a no brainer even if it was a bit more of a pain.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 AM
Launching!

I upgraded everything in my 60e except for the output shaft(which ended up being one failure) I had 2g in parts and another $300 in labor for the guy that put it all together for me. I have long tubes and efi live and it broke in 140 miles. I had gotten on it twice. This was the 2nd rebuild. The first one all I done was clutches, 2/4 band, servos, and a shift kit. That ran me around $1200 with labor and me buying the parts. I just paid $1000(I didn't have a core) for a 2006 4l80e that had 43k on it. Of course I'll be doing a lt of the work myself but by the time all of this is said and done I could of had lot more performance mods done or thing around the house if I would of just gone 80e the first time but I didn't listen to what I had read on here and every other forum I'm part of and I've regretted it since day one.

Quick Reply: NNBS 4l60e swap to 4L80e...whos done it?