GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

I have a dumb lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaze_v8
What year truck?
More than likely you will need either or a notch or helper bags, one or the other.
And yess you can damage axle from bottoming out
Thank you for the reply! The truck is a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 regular cab short bed. I’m trying to get it to a nice height without having to spend a lot of money because I’m not too wealthy. I’d be happy with a 2/4 drop if it means I don’t have to notch or use helper bags but I’m really looking for a 4/6 drop.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

The notch is necessary for a 4/6 drop. Cutting the notch was much easier than I thought. Bought a pack of sawzall blades expecting to break a couple but did both sides with only one blade (cut like butter). The hardest part was drilling all the holes... not hard but time consuming. Most that do a 2/4 wish they'd went with the 4/6 kit.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Let’s say I do cut a notch out in my frame for a 4/6 drop and install the kit and everything, if I were to set my suspension back to normal for any reason and flip the axle back under the leaf springs, would the integrity of my frame be messed up and cause any breaks?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not if you do a proper c notch, fully welded and boxed not open c channel. I’ve seen several c channel kits that are bolted in. When you Notch the frame you are now making the frame more susceptible to failing at the new notch. What I’ve seen happen is the bottom of the notch where the frame was cut begins to approximate or pinch together, buckling at the apex of the notch. Milnd you these trucks were also hauling trailers though too. I replaced the notch with a fully plated welding it in and no issues, it’s cheap insurance to fully box and weld it in. I’m sure others have opinions and more experience than me who can help you out too.

Last edited by RySmDPT14; 12-11-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RySmDPT14
Not if you do a proper c notch, fully welded and boxed not open c channel. I’ve seen several c channel kits that are bolted in. When you Notch the frame you are now making the frame more susceptible to failing at the new notch. What I’ve seen happen is the bottom of the notch where the frame was cut begins to approximate or pinch together, buckling at the apex of the notch. Milnd you these trucks were also hauling trailers though too. I replaced the notch with a fully plated welding it in and no issues, it’s cheap insurance to fully box and weld it in. I’m sure others have opinions and more experience than me who can help you out too.
Thank you for the reply! What exactly do you mean by boxed? If you have any pictures of what that looks like would you be able to show me? Also, would you recommend I buy the bolt on C-notch plate kit?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Launching!

this is an open c notch, not plated on both sides.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Launching!

this is a fully boxed c notch, played on both sides of the rails. These are from google so you can see the difference.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the clarification I’ll be sure to box the notch if I ever do cut my frame and I appreciate all the advice and explanations
Old 12-12-2018, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Little_Mata
Thank you for the clarification I’ll be sure to box the notch if I ever do cut my frame and I appreciate all the advice and explanations
Lots of companies sell the Underbed notches online for cheap.
The underbed notch is essentially a "boxed" notch, but it fits under the bed so you wont have to cut it.
The picture posted above is a big notch, and would require to cut the bed.

this is the Reklez notch.
They sell specifically for 99-06 trucks, and its as easy as it can get, they even have a video on youtube for install.

https://reklez.com/collections/under...nder-bed-notch

Good luck
Old 10-17-2021, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving an ancient thread

I know I'm digging way back in the files for this thread but thanks for humoring me on this...

Ive got an 05 Sierra CrewCab that I've put a 5/6 kit on with mini notch. The mini notch is the bolt in type but my real conplaint about it is that it still isnt enough clearance. I bottom out all the time against my axle. Since Im so close to being layed out already, im thinking about going ahead and doing the underbed notch to begin the process of bagging it. Would a underbed notch be enough clearance to lay frame with a wheel/tire diameter of 29-ish inches?

Thanks in advance for any help!