Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

How low can you lower a 4WD GMT900?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low can you lower a 4WD GMT900?

I have a 2007 Silverado 4WD that is currently lifted about 7" and I'm looking to go big power with it in the future so I'm debating on lowering it instead....how low can a 4WD NNBS go? I've heard 5/8 is the limit until the CV Axles limit anything lower than that. Does anyone have experience doing this? Mcgaughy's sells a 4/7 kit for them but I want to be lower than that.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

If your focus is on big power, you dont want super low, you want the CVs slightly negative to level.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Atomic
If your focus is on big power, you dont want super low, you want the CVs slightly negative to level.
Normally I'd agree and if it was a track/drag truck I'd have it setup higher but it's my daily driver and I'm very picky about how it looks....if it's not lifted I want it slammed, just personal preference. Things may change eventually but I'd at least like to know how low I can go
Old 06-13-2016, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

It doesnt matter if it's a street truck or a track truck, how low it is will still matter for all the parts of the truck to work correctly.

3-4in the front is about the max you want to go to keep the CV angles good and prevent vibrations and possible breaking an axle shaft. Drop spindles and drop struts/coil relocators should get you there. The rear can be 5-7in, you really just have to get the driveshaft angle good for no vibration problems. Depending on how low you go will determine the look and you might get a reverse rake.

Tire and wheel size will also change the stance, so picking the drop and wheel size goes a long way.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FFDP
It doesnt matter if it's a street truck or a track truck, how low it is will still matter for all the parts of the truck to work correctly.

3-4in the front is about the max you want to go to keep the CV angles good and prevent vibrations and possible breaking an axle shaft. Drop spindles and drop struts/coil relocators should get you there. The rear can be 5-7in, you really just have to get the driveshaft angle good for no vibration problems. Depending on how low you go will determine the look and you might get a reverse rake.

Tire and wheel size will also change the stance, so picking the drop and wheel size goes a long way.
I'm not sure what I'd want to run as far as wheel size, if I go with smaller or bigger wheels would that help the CV angles any? I'm pretty good with the lifted stuff but I don't have experience with a lowered truck so excuse my ignorance!
Old 06-13-2016, 12:34 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

When your focus is power, looks come second.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Atomic
When your focus is power, looks come second.

You're definitely right, I'm going for a mix of both. It'll be getting a cam probably next spring and eventually a turbo, but that's a long time down the road
Old 06-13-2016, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sypher
I have a 2007 Silverado 4WD that is currently lifted about 7" and I'm looking to go big power with it in the future so I'm debating on lowering it instead....how low can a 4WD NNBS go? I've heard 5/8 is the limit until the CV Axles limit anything lower than that. Does anyone have experience doing this? Mcgaughy's sells a 4/7 kit for them but I want to be lower than that.
im at about 5/8 currently and my axles arent bad honestly..and ill be making in the 500hp range in a few weeks..its not big power but its a start
Old 06-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by musclecity85
im at about 5/8 currently and my axles arent bad honestly..and ill be making in the 500hp range in a few weeks..its not big power but its a start
Probably better than mine currently are with a lift kit and leveling kit stacked lol
What did you use to get to 5/8?? Spindles and struts?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sypher
Probably better than mine currently are with a lift kit and leveling kit stacked lol
What did you use to get to 5/8?? Spindles and struts?
yes i used spindles and mcg struts..they allow you to go down up to 3 inches i believe maybe 3.5

Quick Reply: How low can you lower a 4WD GMT900?