Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Engine Noise, round 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Did they happen to state if VINS after a certain breakout point are equipped with the 2nd design pistons.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Did they happen to state if VINS after a certain breakout point are equipped with the 2nd design pistons.
No info at this time, hopefully I will get a workorder or something when they are done with a parts list.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
the block and parts were off to the machine shop for fitting, boring the cylinders and line boring the block, as well as a balance and ring fitting.
How can all this labor and sublet work possibly be cheaper than a longblock swap....

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
No breakpoint I'm affraid.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Robert91RS;4855581]How can all this labor and sublet work possibly be cheaper than a longblock swap....

I agree and they are also paying for the Enterprise rental. 3 weeks and 3 days so far
Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

I figured I'd add my current situation to this thread aswell, starting back in november I noticed a loud tapping noise in the motor when first starting it when cold and would eventually subside once it warmed. I figured all right no big deal it's the typical ls piston slap, I'll just let it warm up a little longer before driving off in the morning, well we are now into feb and it knocks so bad at 50 degrees or colder that you can hear a loud audible tap from in my kitchen with my truck 40 feet away in the driveway for the first 3-4 minutes of runtime! Even if I let it get to full temp and drive away it knocks like crazy for the first 2-3 miles!. I had originally brought it to the dealer and told them what was going on, left it over night there and had them start it the next day. They called me at work the next day to tell me it was normal and that there was a tsb on carbon build up and how I should switch brands of gas and use a fuel cleaner blah blah blah, I told him absolutely no F***ing way that noise was from carbon build up and I will be right there to get my truck. Just to prove there theory wrong the next day I pulled all my plugs and went into the cylinders with a borescope, guess what no carbon build up, I finally went to another local dealer that is closer to work and had them do a start up in the morning after a cold soak, the service manager called me later that morning and said that something was definantly wrong and was gonna get the regional rep involved. Well I met with all of them this morning after leaving the truck over night at the dealer and after I started the truck the rep said I have never a 6.2 that loud ever. There is definantly something going on with your engine and is authorizing the dealer to tear down the motor to see whats going on it and a free loner for as long as the truck is down. So I guess we will see where this goes, sorry for the long post.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to say, welcome to the club. sounds pretty well like my engine condition.

My truck should back together this week and hopefully quiet.
The extreme noise we have experienced seems to be uncommon and hopefully my rebuild will endure longer than the oe engine did.
I beleive it was my call to GM national customer service that got them to fix mine.
You seem to have a more responsive dealer, so good luck.
Keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whoa, a dealer who won't void warranty now we're talking, good luck on the fix hope nothing massive.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
Sorry to say, welcome to the club. sounds pretty well like my engine condition.

My truck should back together this week and hopefully quiet.
The extreme noise we have experienced seems to be uncommon and hopefully my rebuild will endure longer than the oe engine did.
I beleive it was my call to GM national customer service that got them to fix mine.
You seem to have a more responsive dealer, so good luck.
Keep us posted.
I hope all goes well for you. I'd like to know if this is gonna be a issue for the guys that live in the colder climates? Maybe others can chime in on this,There is no doubt in my mind that it is an extreme case of piston slap.I've had 3 brand new silverados so far, a 02,05, and now my 11.They all had small amounts of it when cold but not like my 6.2. My 6.2 is unacceptable. I'll keep you posted on what they find.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by Foxxer
Whoa, a dealer who won't void warranty now we're talking, good luck on the fix hope nothing massive.
I took everything off that I could and reflashed it back to stock so there is nothing to really question but the rep did say the truck looked good lowered
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing . . .

Quick Reply: Engine Noise, round 2