Engine Noise, round 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Engine Noise, round 2

Here is my old post...it's long
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-noise-479562/

I called GM Customer service to complain about my engine noise, which has been getting steadily worst.
Customer service told me to take it back to the dealer for an up to date listen.

Last time I was at the dealer, they acknowlegded the noise and told me it should be acceptable.

Well, this time they told me they are going to fix it.
All they said is that it is a piston noise.
I don't know if there was any input to the dealer from Customer service or not, but I will find out if I can.

It's booked for Jan 9/12 for repair or replace as necessary.

Finally...
Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Did they give you any **** about mods? Good that they are fixing it!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11Silvy
Did they give you any **** about mods? Good that they are fixing it!
No hassle on the mods, ecm was stock when it went in and will be when it returns for repair.
They don't care about the other stuff.
I'm very happy they are fixing it, no one, absolutely no one would buy it the way it is.
Not that it is for sale, but it's that bad, it ought to be fixed

Last edited by Allgonoshow; 12-23-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck sir. Glad they will be doing something about it this time.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the 6.2 back
Old 12-23-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
Buy the 6.2 back
That's a thought, but at this point, I don't know if they will repair or replace.
If they replace, I may see if I can pay the diff for an LSX block or long block,
but I also don't know
how much parts swap I can do from the 6.2 to say, LSX454

Too early for a game plan yet.

Talking to a tech, later, he told me they hadn't heard a truck with my noise issue, so hopefully for the rest of us, it's not common.

iamkeniff, you work at a dealer ???
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Teching In

as a gm tech, i can tell you the motor will be torn down and everything measured to determine weather it gets new pistons, or a new long block, and if you get a long block, you will be waiting a while. the 6.2's are on back order. i currently have a customers denali thats been out in the lot for 4 weeks waiting on a 6.2, and i thought about purchasing the core my self, and even at my discount the core is like 2k.

the problem that is happening is be cause the block and pistons expand at two different rates. if you fire it up and let it warm up for a few mins without driving right away it will be ok, but most ppl just hop in and go, and depending on your driving habits it will beat on the cyl walls.

all 5.3's and 6.2's have nominal piston slap, it is acceptable to a point. just depends how bad it is.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight6
as a gm tech, i can tell you the motor will be torn down and everything measured to determine weather it gets new pistons, or a new long block, and if you get a long block, you will be waiting a while. the 6.2's are on back order. i currently have a customers denali thats been out in the lot for 4 weeks waiting on a 6.2, and i thought about purchasing the core my self, and even at my discount the core is like 2k.

the problem that is happening is be cause the block and pistons expand at two different rates. if you fire it up and let it warm up for a few mins without driving right away it will be ok, but most ppl just hop in and go, and depending on your driving habits it will beat on the cyl walls.

all 5.3's and 6.2's have nominal piston slap, it is acceptable to a point. just depends how bad it is.

two words:short skirts
Old 12-24-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by midnight6

I am quite sure my noise is not piston slap, heard that before many times. My noise is a hard knock, from one cylinder, as opposed to the marbles in a can noise piston slap makes.
Could be wrong we'll see when they take it apart.

I almost always start mine on the remote and let it warm a bit.

What about an lsx long block, will the 6.2 intake and accessories bolt on??
Old 12-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No sir, im a diesel mechanic. I work on cranes an other heavy equipment, an just a do it yourself guy

Quick Reply: Engine Noise, round 2