Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Dod and tunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
^Interesting. Didn't realize the muffler had a flapper valve. Is the vacuum table you adjusted in Engine>Fuel COT Lean Cruise>Vacuum Thresholds>Enable Vac?
Yes, in the enable section went from 45 to about 33 and blended it a bit, in the disable section went from 3 to 2. TPS from 6% to 15%, timing have to look at a bit to see but bumped it up overall, also getting rid of all negative values made it much more responsive off idle (nothing to do with afm just thought I'd throw it in there).

One of the biggest complaints GM had with the old caddy v8/6/4 system was the sound of the exhaust (when it worked). That is a prime example of how technology had to catch up before an idea could be effectively put into action...so not sure exactly how it works, but under the lower airflow for the v4 mode there is a pressure loaded door or some crazy thing like that which moves and changes the sound so the exhaust sounds normal in v4. That is why aftermarket mufflers sound stupid in V4, they don't compensate for the 4 cylinders not firing.

They did put some thought into it. Interesting article:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...ve_timing.aspx

Last edited by niugnep; 04-24-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niugnep
Going slow and making small changes, one at a time, is the smart way to do it. I'd have to look at my tune but on the vac tables I dropped it about 25% in the rpm range where you wan to hold it the best. A bit more timing, bit more tps allowed, makes a big difference.

One other thing to be careful of here is that you can't use other peoples numbers, plug them in and expect the same results. Different altitudes, truck weights, gearing, terrain, all plays a part.

Don't have access to laptop right now, but CDN SS if you are interested I can send you a copy of my tune for V4, pretty sure I kept a change log too (been a while). Because of your gearing and better mechanical advantage, you should be able to run a bit more v4 than most. I found I could not keep my V4 engaged on the highway at 125km/hr, and it was jerking going in and coming out so that can't be good and backed off at that point. We ARE pushing barn doors through the atmosphere after all. Its also good to know that the v4 mode disengages the lockup converter, goes into v4, then re-engages the lockup..same coming out..it also opens the throttle more (without any feedback to you) when in v4...plus the flapper in the muffler, all designed to make it seamless.

If you go onto HPTuners website and search dod, afm, there are some good threads on there too.
Appreciate all the info , Thank-you .......whether I can keep AFM enabled when I finally get around to installing my Blower remains to be seen but I am very interested in this ..........a copy would be great
wmwaters@mymts.net

I do understand every vehicle is different and will make small changes as I go .........the unfortunate part of this whole technology is the reliability of the collapsing EATON lifters !!! Sure would be nice if a way to know if my motor has the "good" Delphi ones I only have about 8000 miles on my truck so listening for the clatter every day

FWIW ...... the exhaust note in V4 is barely noticlble .I have a CC ....... headers .no cats .... 3" magnaflow single pipe cat back uses the 22" muff ........ plus I added a 24" magnaflow bullet in front of the main muff once I added the headrs and removed cat ( got drone) ......... with added bullet no drone sounds great at wot and cruises nice
Old 04-24-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CDN SS
Appreciate all the info , Thank-you .......whether I can keep AFM enabled when I finally get around to installing my Blower remains to be seen but I am very interested in this ..........a copy would be great
wmwaters@mymts.net

I do understand every vehicle is different and will make small changes as I go .........the unfortunate part of this whole technology is the reliability of the collapsing EATON lifters !!! Sure would be nice if a way to know if my motor has the "good" Delphi ones I only have about 8000 miles on my truck so listening for the clatter every day

FWIW ...... the exhaust note in V4 is barely noticlble .I have a CC ....... headers .no cats .... 3" magnaflow single pipe cat back uses the 22" muff ........ plus I added a 24" magnaflow bullet in front of the main muff once I added the headrs and removed cat ( got drone) ......... with added bullet no drone sounds great at wot and cruises nice
Copy of tune is on the way. Use the info at your own risk! A work in progress.

A blower and afm seem to be mutually exclusive, I would think the risk is not worth the reward (couple mpg's) should something go wrong, but if you could make it work that would be excellent.

Don't drive yourself nuts listening at the engine. If it happens you will know... The design seems rather flimsy I thought, so I could see there being issues in the future. If I have any issues at all, they are out of there, and afm will be disabled, done. Meanwhile, Amsoil 5-30 every 5000km along wiht new filter is about all I can do to keep it happy.

Located where you are, have you looked into the effects of cold on a blower setup?? I drive my truck daily, and it sits outside so I would be curious at -30 C starts if that has any effect on the things...I have heard some superchargers will lock up at those temps.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Launching!

A blower and afm seem to be mutually exclusive, I would think the risk is not worth the reward (couple mpg's) should something go wrong, but if you could make it work that would be excellent.

Yep I agree ....but interesting to try to make it work .......I will proceed with caution Thanks for your help

Cold weather and a bower .......I bot a GTP with eaton blower new in 98 ...very heavily mod'd sold it in 2009 ran 12.3's all day long ........was my DD always sat outside all year ( toys in garage) started fine in -30 never had an issue I dont expect an issue withe maggie in cold weather .
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cold weather and a bower .......I bot a GTP with eaton blower new in 98 ...very heavily mod'd sold it in 2009 ran 12.3's all day long ........was my DD always sat outside all year ( toys in garage) started fine in -30 never had an issue I dont expect an issue withe maggie in cold weather .
The stockers are engineered for that but I had a friend with a dodge truck and he was basically told the supercharger he was looking at (will have to ask him) was not recommended for -20C or colder due to clearance issues. Its the only time I have heard of that and my truck does sit outside all the time (same deal, toys are in the garage) so it would have to deal with temps like that in the winter months...

Anyway, let me know how things go...we seem to have our own set of special issues up here in Canada...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Launching!

The stockers are engineered for that but I had a friend with a dodge truck and he was basically told the supercharger he was looking at (will have to ask him) was not recommended for -20C or colder due to clearance issues. Its the only time I have heard of that and my truck does sit outside all the time (same deal, toys are in the garage) so it would have to deal with temps like that in the winter months...

Anyway, let me know how things go...we seem to have our own set of special issues up here in Canada...
HMMM interesting .........may have to connect one of those circulating heaters that go inline the heater hoses ..pump hot water thru it or a battery blanket around the blower housing
Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, in the enable section went from 45 to about 33 and blended it a bit, in the disable section went from 3 to 2. TPS from 6% to 15%, timing have to look at a bit to see but bumped it up overall, also getting rid of all negative values made it much more responsive off idle (nothing to do with afm just thought I'd throw it in there).

One of the biggest complaints GM had with the old caddy v8/6/4 system was the sound of the exhaust (when it worked). That is a prime example of how technology had to catch up before an idea could be effectively put into action...so not sure exactly how it works, but under the lower airflow for the v4 mode there is a pressure loaded door or some crazy thing like that which moves and changes the sound so the exhaust sounds normal in v4. That is why aftermarket mufflers sound stupid in V4, they don't compensate for the 4 cylinders not firing.

They did put some thought into it. Interesting article:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...ve_timing.aspx
I drove an AFM truck with some wicked sounding exhaust... Wish I remembered what it was... But it IS possible to have it sound good...
Well... If you like the way a Subaru sounds... It sounded like a very large Subaru, in 4 cyl mode, lmao

HMMM interesting .........may have to connect one of those circulating heaters that go inline the heater hoses ..pump hot water thru it or a battery blanket around the blower housing

Also, a bypass for the intercooler will be a good plan.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not that anyone cares, but I have a Dual Flowmaster 10 Series setup out the side in front of the rear tire. They cut out my resonator as well, and it causes almost a crackling noise going into 8 cyl. The 4 cyl. mode is not bad, but it is the transistion that kills me. SOunds like someone with a cough that has a lot of phlegm coming up (sorry for the graphic display, but this is pretty accurate).
Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Launching!

I have a 2010 also my AFM transistion has always been smooth with no odd noises ......now with headers and Magnaflow single exit 3" cat back ( no cats) plus added a 24" magnaflow bullet muffler to system yes it does sound different in V4 but nothing objectionable and no odd noise at transistion

UPDATE....... just got my tune installed with AFM tweaks Thanks to all on here you shared there AFM tuning details helped alot !!!.............. working great ....
....I can see under some conditions ( going into the wind ) when in V4 cruising at 70mph @2100(4.11's) TPS @37 the mileage in V4 is not dramatically better than V8 ....... drop back to 66mph and it really bumps the mileage up I realize at some point V4 wont cut it ...EG. when TPS at 40% it still stays in V4 but it is working hard and mileage drops off ...... betwen the 4. 11's & the tune it really is worthwhile function now. usefull at normal highway speeds 60-70mph ....... I am amost always in V4 in the city 30-50mph ..........get on it good from a stop then roll back on the throttle lightly and V4 kicks in & stays and yet still alows you to acclerate lightly if traffic changes or small hills ........

Last edited by CDN SS; 05-17-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 2010 also my AFM transistion has always been smooth with no odd noises ......now with headers and Magnaflow single exit 3" cat back ( no cats) plus added a 24" magnaflow bullet muffler to system yes it does sound different in V4 but nothing objectionable and no odd noise at transistion

UPDATE....... just got my tune installed with AFM tweaks Thanks to all on here you shared there AFM tuning details helped alot !!!.............. working great ....
....I can see under some conditions ( going into the wind ) when in V4 cruising at 70mph @2100(4.11's) TPS @37 the mileage in V4 is not dramatically better than V8 ....... drop back to 66mph and it really bumps the mileage up I realize at some point V4 wont cut it ...EG. when TPS at 40% it still stays in V4 but it is working hard and mileage drops off ...... betwen the 4. 11's & the tune it really is worthwhile function now. usefull at normal highway speeds 60-70mph ....... I am amost always in V4 in the city 30-50mph ..........get on it good from a stop then roll back on the throttle lightly and V4 kicks in & stays and yet still alows you to acclerate lightly if traffic changes or small hills ........
PM me all your AFM settings you tuned in, please

I know some of them won't work as well because I have the 4 speed instead of the 6, but still...