Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Dod and tunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
I hate my cats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did some scanning today, and ya, the V4 mode stays on til around 36% tps. Added some timing across the board too without any KR. Cool. Getting closer to 20mpg imperial!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
Did some scanning today, and ya, the V4 mode stays on til around 36% tps. Added some timing across the board too without any KR. Cool. Getting closer to 20mpg imperial!

Good info Thanks
So did you make a change in the TPS setting for V4 or just timing so far
How much timing 4* or less ?? have you changed anything in the vacuum tables as suggested by other poster ??
Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 PM
I hate my cats

I've touched on the timing and the V4 TPS so far. Haven't touched the vacuum yet. I'm JUST learning this stuff, and I've been reading up on it for 4 years now!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Thanks I'm just starting to understand this AFM tuning ........
Old 04-23-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going slow and making small changes, one at a time, is the smart way to do it. I'd have to look at my tune but on the vac tables I dropped it about 25% in the rpm range where you wan to hold it the best. A bit more timing, bit more tps allowed, makes a big difference.

One other thing to be careful of here is that you can't use other peoples numbers, plug them in and expect the same results. Different altitudes, truck weights, gearing, terrain, all plays a part.

Don't have access to laptop right now, but CDN SS if you are interested I can send you a copy of my tune for V4, pretty sure I kept a change log too (been a while). Because of your gearing and better mechanical advantage, you should be able to run a bit more v4 than most. I found I could not keep my V4 engaged on the highway at 125km/hr, and it was jerking going in and coming out so that can't be good and backed off at that point. We ARE pushing barn doors through the atmosphere after all. Its also good to know that the v4 mode disengages the lockup converter, goes into v4, then re-engages the lockup..same coming out..it also opens the throttle more (without any feedback to you) when in v4...plus the flapper in the muffler, all designed to make it seamless.

If you go onto HPTuners website and search dod, afm, there are some good threads on there too.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 PM
I hate my cats

^Interesting. Didn't realize the muffler had a flapper valve. Is the vacuum table you adjusted in Engine>Fuel COT Lean Cruise>Vacuum Thresholds>Enable Vac?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

CDN SS, you aren't planning on keeping AFM with the blower are you?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smokeshow
CDN SS, you aren't planning on keeping AFM with the blower are you?
Hey Jake ...... this AFM deal intriques me, it really working well since I installed the headers & 4.11's ..... curious to see how good I can get it to work ..........pbly wont get the blower on for a month or so so for now tuning the truck the way it is ............... assume AFM wont like boost in the "shutdown" cylinders
Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN SS
Hey Jake ...... this AFM deal intriques me, it really working well since I installed the headers & 4.11's ..... curious to see how good I can get it to work ..........pbly wont get the blower on for a month or so so for now tuning the truck the way it is ............... assume AFM wont like boost in the "shutdown" cylinders
Lower gearing is gonna bring out the best of DOD because of the mechanical advantage, like stated above. With stock settings, boost won't be able to get into the "shutdown" cylinders because the blower would still be in bypass long after the TPS increased and trigged DOD to deactivate (assuming the settings weren't tweaked enough to allow enabled DOD and boost to overlap). My issue is I don't trust DOD so much... A few years ago after only about a year of having the truck, the DOD would get stuck on, as in it wouldn't come out of 4 cylinder mode at all. Even started up with 4 cylinders... Sucked at the time, and I eventually just turned it off to avoid it happening again. Problem is, you throw a blower into the mix and that happens, you're gonna see double boost instantaneously if it ever has a hiccup like that.
There's a fine line between good mileage daily driver and a tough towing truck...you have to decide where you wanna draw that line. Of course you could always buy a diesel
Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Launching!

There's a fine line between good mileage daily driver and a tough towing truck...you have to decide where you wanna draw that line. Of course you could always buy a diesel

I know I know ...... I want my cake and eat it too ......and yes should have bot a diesel ...but that would be too easy LOL ........ Did not intend to leave AFM enabled but kinda interesting how its working now, thanks for heads up , good points re blower and AFM re TPS/ vacuum settings etc "if" I keep AFM when blower goes on I will proceed with caution re non stock settings

Quick Reply: Dod and tunes