Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

decisions, decisions.... input thread, swap time

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions, decisions.... input thread, swap time

alright ladies and gents, lets start off with the basics. i currently have the following setup that is starting to get a bit on the boring and annoying side for me.

2009 Sierra RCSB 4.8L/4L60E/3.23's, flow master cat back, and volant cai. have a super chips cortex tuner for it, but they currently dont have a map calibration that works with the software currently in my truck.

truck just lacks mpg/power and performance. i know those 3 really dont go hand in hand. but you would think it would get better then the 14 im getting considering i baby it to and from for the most part.

what im thinking is motor swap build up what im gonna put in it a little bit and a set of 3.73's and it should be a little better. my question is what would be a better swap, 6.0 ls2 or a 6.2? who has done what and how do you like it? cost wise isnt that big of a deal for me i know its not gonna be budget, just looking for clean fairly easy route. dont really want to get into re wiring the whole truck and swapping stuff i dont really need to. im also a tech so i know what im doing, just looking for some input for some of you who have done this.

or if you guys just have any input on keeping the 4.8 lets hear some things you guys have done. like i said not lookin for a race truck just want some more pep out of it

Last edited by midnight6; 08-24-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

That is weird, i cant speak about the swap, however im avegaring 19mpg over all. i get around 23HWY and about 18 city. and i have a heavier truck
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by midnight6
alright ladies and gents, lets start off with the basics. i currently have the following setup that is starting to get a bit on the boring and annoying side for me.

2009 Sierra RCSB 4.8L/4L60E/3.23's, flow master cat back, and volant cai. have a super chips cortex tuner for it, but they currently dont have a map calibration that works with the software currently in my truck.

truck just lacks mpg/power and performance. i know those 3 really dont go hand in hand. but you would think it would get better then the 14 im getting considering i baby it to and from for the most part.

what im thinking is motor swap build up what im gonna put in it a little bit and a set of 3.73's and it should be a little better. my question is what would be a better swap, 6.0 ls2 or a 6.2? who has done what and how do you like it? cost wise isnt that big of a deal for me i know its not gonna be budget, just looking for clean fairly easy route. dont really want to get into re wiring the whole truck and swapping stuff i dont really need to. im also a tech so i know what im doing, just looking for some input for some of you who have done this.

or if you guys just have any input on keeping the 4.8 lets hear some things you guys have done. like i said not lookin for a race truck just want some more pep out of it

Get rid of the Super chips tuner. I have never in my life heard a good thing about a superchip. Get some gears, servo,headers, custom tune and it'll be a whole new truck.

I know quite a few people local to me who have 4.8/60e combos with full bolt ons and a custom tune that get great mpgs and a fast truck!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

midnight6: mongooseboy000 is getting better mileage with the same motor and 4.10s, and he's turning those heavy-*** 26-ers. That's the first thing I'd change if I had your 3.23s.

X2 on ditching the SuperChips.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
midnight6: mongooseboy000 is getting better mileage with the same motor and 4.10s, and he's turning those heavy-*** 26-ers. That's the first thing I'd change if I had your 3.23s.

X2 on ditching the SuperChips.
+2 on this..... If you want to keep those 22's upgrade that gear to a 4.10 and you should pick up some MPG's in the city since it will be easier on the motoro to lug around those 22's.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Teching In

thanks for the input guys, might be ditching the superchips because they cant build a map for my truck.

on the gears, what are you guys seeing rpm wise around say 75mph with 4.10's? right now im seeing about 18-1900 in OD at 75mph. i commute on the freeway most of my way to and from anywhere and take a few trips out to Cali often, and dont want to be running 3k at cruise. i was thinkin 3.73's because of my hwy commute, and i know that a few of my friends with the same generation trucks are around 21-2200 with 3.73's but they all have 5.3L's

headers are in the future, and as far as custom tunes go, not a lot of places locally here that want to deal with anything that isnt "performance modified" especially the fact that is a truck.

im averaging about 14-15mpg hwy and about 10-12mph city. and like i said i dont jump all over it hardly, dont get me wrong i do from time to time, but for the most part i find it a waste because the truck is pretty gutless, it sounds great but thats about it lol.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the input guys, might be ditching the superchips because they cant build a map for my truck.

on the gears, what are you guys seeing rpm wise around say 75mph with 4.10's? right now im seeing about 18-1900 in OD at 75mph. i commute on the freeway most of my way to and from anywhere and take a few trips out to Cali often, and dont want to be running 3k at cruise. i was thinkin 3.73's because of my hwy commute, and i know that a few of my friends with the same generation trucks are around 21-2200 with 3.73's but they all have 5.3L's

headers are in the future, and as far as custom tunes go, not a lot of places locally here that want to deal with anything that isnt "performance modified" especially the fact that is a truck.

im averaging about 14-15mpg hwy and about 10-12mph city. and like i said i dont jump all over it hardly, dont get me wrong i do from time to time, but for the most part i find it a waste because the truck is pretty gutless, it sounds great but thats about it lol.

I had a DiabloSport handheld with a custom diablew tune on my truck forawhile. My truck was a beast with it! I sold it to get a dyno tune and for TCM control and noticed very lil change. Lew can set up some sweet custom tunes on DS handhelds. And soon they are releasing a new INTUNE tuner which should be very cheap.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

the problem that im running into with the superchips tuner is that apparently the factory program that is in my pcm is "too new" so they dont have a map available for it, and they dont know how long it will take them to break down the program and write a map for it. its been almost a month and they still have no ETA
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

the problem that im running into with the superchips tuner is that apparently the factory program that is in my pcm is "too new" so they dont have a map available for it, and they dont know how long it will take them to break down the program and write a map for it. its been almost a month and they still have no ETA
I've seen this happen to DiabloSport on the forum attached to their website too.
In most cases they just upload the vin and data from the tuner and its fixed same day. I have to say DS has some top notch customer support.

Damn i should be on their payroll lmao.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are quite a few guys on this forum that are happy with a tune from Black Bear. You can get the AutoCal from them, and then exchange data logs and tunes over email - don't need somebody local any more. They're a sponsor, so their link is over there on the right (with DiabloSport and others).

Quick Reply: decisions, decisions.... input thread, swap time