Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Confused about Blackbear Autocal Tunes

Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about Blackbear Autocal Tunes

i've been reading countless forums about Blackbear Autocal tunes and have never read one bad thing about them. i think i'll pull the trigger on one, but i just have a few questions that are confusing. i'm new to trucks, and i read all of them faq on bbp.com. what exactly is the difference between pcm, ecm, tcm?????? i was reading, when you get your autocal, you plug in your tuner pcm to replace your stock pcm? is this true? is this how you are able to keep your stock pcm from flashing a footprint from a performance tune?

If somebody just recently purchased the bb autocal, can you please help? i have many questions and i know justin is very busy?

thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The Auto Cal is not a PCM (Power Command Module, engine and trans) ECM (Engine Command Module, Engine only) or TCM (Transmission Control Module, Trans only). Its a hand held programer. It is used to flash in performance tunes that Justin will write for you to your PCM/ECM/TCM depending on what yeat truck you have. It like a Hypertec, only uses custom written tunes for you application, not "canned" tunes
Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His old tunes as well as alot of other mail tuned were a reflashed actual PCM that you swapped for yours.. Like KB said this is nothing of that nature.. He writes you a tune, sends it to you vial email. You upload it into the auto cal, then flash it to your pcm via the OBD port.. I think they can hold up to 3 diff pcm flashes/tunes..
Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Thank u for the info guys
Old 12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know exactly how you feel - I just went through the shopping/decision process a few months ago before deciding to get a Black Bear tune via Autocal. Black Bear's website directions are very step-by-step and easy to follow. When you purchase the Autocal from them you'll get access to that part of their website.

When you receive the Autocal you'll follow the directions to record a log of driving your truck for a bit, then email that file to them. You'll have a chance to specify what you're wanting out of the tune. Then they'll email you new transmission and engine files that you'll upload from your computer to the Autocal, then from the Autocal to the pickup.

Then the fun begins.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

What is included for the $550? 1 tune? Three tunes?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

good thread as I may upgrade
Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check their website for details, but I got one tune based on my first log and two more adjustments based on the results from logging how it performed after that.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the clarification. Also, this is my daily driver and I don't feel like using 91 or 93 octane all the time due to being a cheap ***. Is the bb autocal still worth getting if I use 89 octane tune a majority of the time?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by andrew08gmc
Thanks for the clarification. Also, this is my daily driver and I don't feel like using 91 or 93 octane all the time due to being a cheap ***. Is the bb autocal still worth getting if I use 89 octane tune a majority of the time?
If your truck is an 08 then I don't know. Maybe somebody who knows more will speak up. My truck is a 2011 Flex-Fuel, and the system that tests the fuel every time it gets filled up and adapts the tables to match the fuel works perfectly. I've used 92, 89 and E85 since I got the tune, without so much as a hiccup when I switch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Confused about Blackbear Autocal Tunes