Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Baby seat + Reg cab?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use the fastener on the back wall the car seat is mounted backwards he is facing the back window and I just run the middle seat belt through the base . . . my little boy is only 7 months old though.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

I dont know about not being able to mount the seat rear facing in the middle of a std. cab never seen that restriction stated that specific. Personally him being right next to me in my regular cab is just as safe as Milf's haulin their kids around in a Honda Civic or a KIA etc . . .
Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I get conflicting Info on it some sites say no way others say its no problem in the middle, from personal experience my truck has already been wrecked with me and buddy in it his air bag didn't even go off mine did and it didn't even hit my face or arms. So go figure, saying the rear facing is wrong in the middle, but front facing is okay in the passenger seat with the air bag off goes both ways. What does it matter if someone T-bones you into the passenger door at fifty miles an hour? At least my son is farther from the door and the impact. And I have been pulled over by a CHP with my son right next to me in the middle rear facing and he didn't say ****.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Teching In

The center thing is from the Chevy itsself. Actually they recomend that you don't use rear facing seat in front unless you have to. But Std cabs should have the switch to turn it off.

It is only illegal in Cali if the front air bag is active with a rear facing seat. V.C. 27360(c)
Old 11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I let my son ride on the passenger side. But I use the seat belt, and the rear hook up thats directly behind the seat. The seat sensors are supposed to turn on your air bag at 60lbs+. I never do any highway driving with him just for the fact he is in the passenger seat. but then again, if you had a crew cab or extended cab. Would you put him in the middle or by the door? if you have two kids, then what?

Just use your best judgment and what makes you feel comfortable with your child riding with you. Its your own kid and its your final word on the matter.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I did it for a month while our old Blazer was getting fixed after I damn near totaled it out two days after our little one was born. Extremely uncomfortable and I hope you don't have a stick cause it was bad enough putting the auto in gear. Turned off the pass side bag but that was the option w/ the key back then...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Put the car seat on the passenger side with the airbag turned off. If you can’t turn off the airbag, either pull the fuse, or don’t put the kid in the truck. The main reason you don’t want the kid in the middle isn’t because of the driver airbag, although the airbag is a danger. The main reason is you. During a serious wreck, the car seat can take a good beating. It can withstand a lot of shock. The airbag, your arms, and head are potential weapons. And can/will hit the child. I’m not just making this up. I have seen a lot of wrecks were people hitting each other actually cause more deaths than people hitting other things. And unfortunately I have seen a child killed in a rollover by his moms elbow. His seat was in the middle. Had it of been on the other side, he would be about 3 years old and healthy. I’m a professorial firefighter; this is just my two cents.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Occupational_Hazard

Just use your best judgment and what makes you feel comfortable with your child riding with you. Its your own kid and its your final word on the matter.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vff_jeff
Put the car seat on the passenger side with the airbag turned off. If you can’t turn off the airbag, either pull the fuse, or don’t put the kid in the truck. I’m a professorial firefighter; this is just my two cents.
At least with my truck the air bag only turns unless your *** is in the seat . And I understand your a Firefighter a professional one, but sometimes people have to adapt with what they have and make it as safe as possible and after all these are all just opinions. I don't believe you are a father yet but when you are you will understand that " not putting the kid in the truck " is not a practical solution in everyday life it's easy for you to speculate and say that but you will understand. The main thing is the original poster asked if anyone put's a baby seat in their reg. cab and yes I do.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the replies guys. Like I mentioned earlier, she won't be an everyday passenger, probably just a few times a year, if that.

Quick Reply: Baby seat + Reg cab?