Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Anyone do the hydroboost setup on the nnbs 1500s?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that too, but it would read a vacuum constantly. Not sure what that will cause either.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Well with a turbo setup it would read both vac and boost and idk about anyone else but i have never had a light pop up about that sensor or anything. Only thing is when you hit the brakes does it have to see that dip or difference. Dont think its as sensitive as we think. Anyone want to unplug it and see what happens when you drive down the road? My truck is down right now or else I would try it. This may sound ignorant but when you hit the brakes on a vacuum boosted car what happens in the booster? On a completely stock truck I don't think you would even see a vacuum difference when you hit the brakes would you? I would think at any rpm the booster wouldn't make any differnece in engine vacuum. Just thinking out loud...
Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

The sensor is located on the front of the booster where a chamber stores vacuum. When you use your brakes during high rpms the booster doesn't get a chance to recharge. I suspect at times like that the EBCM may act more aggresively to prevent wheel slip and your TCM may also begin to decel the truck as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 AM
cam
TECH Addict

Thats kind of why I was thinking the can might be nec so they vac doesnt change as much as it would running it straight off the intake otherwise you could probably use MAP somehow. Too bad these weird little ABS things cant be tuned out. I dont like ABS anyways I never have
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't you just use a short wire to ground the harness? That's what I did to turn the service brake booster light off, I believe it was KYSilverado that came up with that. I'll see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: Here we go: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ke-out-418055/
Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I searched the ABS system description for more info on the sensor today. The text was frustratingly vague but here is what I found.

Active Vacuum Booster

The power brake booster assist unit creates mechanical force for the brake booster in case of a vacuum loss or low vacuum to the brake booster. The power brake booster system consists of:
• The sensor circuits and pressure sensor
• The check valve manifold
• The vacuum solenoid valve

The Power Brake Booster is solenoid operated, and applies a mechanical force to brake master cylinder push rod to aid in brake pedal effort.

The Brake Booster Vacuum Sensor is a input to EBCM, and operates the ABS pump motor to precharge the brake system.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

And I just found this....

#PIT4046G: Service Brakes Soon Message DTC C0299 - (Oct 21, 2011)

Some customers may experience a "Service Brakes Soon" message on the Drivers Information Center (DIC). After initial inspection, you may find a current or history code C0299. Diagnostic code C0299 can result from two issues. The first may be an electrical concern with the Active Brake Booster solenoid or related wiring. The second may be low vacuum detected in the brake booster.
Recommendation/Instructions:
1. This step is for the 2007 model year only.

Note: For the 2007 model year there are no symptom codes for DTC C0299. Use the below info and take note when the DTC occurs to help determine what is the cause of the DTC:
- If the DTC C0299 sets immediately after cycling the key, an electrical concern with the Active Brake Booster solenoid or the related wiring may be the cause. Diagnose the concern using normal diagnostics in SI.
- If the DTC C0299 sets occasionally while driving or when using the cruise control feature, the concern may be related to a vacuum leak. Diagnose the concern using normal diagnostics in SI. DTC C0299 diagnostics should lead to the Brake Assist System Diagnosis process to investigate for a possible vacuum leak. Follow the Brake Assist System Diagnosis process to determine if a vacuum leak is present and what the appropriate repair is to fully restore the Brake Assist System. Some reports from the field have shown one source of a vacuum leak is the o-ring seal between the brake master cylinder and brake booster; refer to bulletin 08-06-04-016 for more information.

2. This step is for the 2008 model year only.

Note: Starting with the 2008 model year there are symptom codes for DTC C0299.
- DTC C0299 00 may be an electrical concern with the Active Brake Booster solenoid or the related wiring. Diagnose the concern using normal diagnostics in SI.
- DTC C0299 5A may be related to a vacuum leak. Diagnose the concern using normal diagnostics in SI. DTC C0299 diagnostics should lead to the Brake Assist System Diagnosis process. New Tech 2 vacuum sensor data information is available for this concern (Tech 2 Software version 28.001 or greater). Follow the Brake Assist System Diagnosis process to determine if a vacuum leak is present and what the appropriate repair is to fully restore the Brake Assist System. Some reports from the field have shown one source of a vacuum leak is the o-ring seal between the brake master cylinder and brake booster; refer to bulletin 08-06-04-016 for more information.

3. This step is for the 2009 and later models only.

Note: Starting with the 2009 model year there is no longer an Active Brake Booster Solenoid and DTC C0299 will only set one symptom 5A.
- DTC C0299 5A may be related to a vacuum leak. Diagnose the concern using normal diagnostics in SI. DTC C0299 diagnostics should lead to the Brake Assist System Diagnosis process. New Tech 2 vacuum sensor data information is available for this concern (Tech 2 Software version 28.001 or greater). Follow the Brake Assist System Diagnosis process to determine if a vacuum leak is present and what the appropriate repair is to fully restore the Brake Assist System. Some reports from the field have shown one source of a vacuum leak is the o-ring seal between the brake master cylinder and brake booster; refer to bulletin 08-06-04-016 for more information.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmmm interesting. There has to be a way around it. Now is that sensors a solenoid valve or just a pressure sensor/ check valve? Also is this just a nnbs thing or do the older trucks have this same sensor?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its just a sensor, the solenoid is located elswhere. NNBS only.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

a erik pl4yboy over on LS1truck did the swap on his truck:
NNBS Hydroboost swap

He got banned from here for some reason, but head over there and ask him...

Quick Reply: Anyone do the hydroboost setup on the nnbs 1500s?