Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Adding Factory powered running boards?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Factory powered running boards?

Well I got a deal on a set of factory gm power boards that I couldn't turn down, I'm gonna pick them up this afternoon. Has anyone add a set or know and tips or tricks.? Any info would be helpfull ESP wiring.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What are they off of and what are the going onto?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Not sure what they came off but I think they are probly off a new escalade and are going on a 08 Sierra Denali
Old 09-08-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Cannot be done they may physically mount up but you cannot make them work. They are controlled by a assist step control module that has sole control over operations. The bcm and IPC are also programmed specifically for this option bc they also play a role in operation. The turn signal switch is also different because it has a disable switch built into it that communicates on or off the the step assist control module.

This module ties into the databus.

A gm tech with the know how and time could possibly make it go. But its not happening with hand tools in the driveway.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

You could wire up 2 relays and a manual switch to make them work but they wont be automatic.

If you have a aftermarket alarm your other option is to wire up relays that reverse polarity and have the relays controlled by a timed output from the alarm.

You would have to use one output for them to go down and one output to go up and 2 relays. You would have to manually force them down then time how long it takes them to go down and up and program the alarm outputs for that exact time. If you have say a viper or dei made alarm you could use a 530-t power window control module to control them also and they have current limiting built in but it may not actually current limit correctly because I doubt those running boards pull any where near the amperage a power window motor pull when it is in the full up or down position.

If they are in the down or up position and the relay isn't timed correctly it will fry the motor in the running boards.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Ok I've played around with them alil and I see the problem as u stated there is no stops on the motors so that's gonna make it pretty damn hard to make them automatic

Now if I can get my hands on the module would it be possible to basicly wire it up to the bcm and use a tech 2 to turn the option on or is there no programming there for them
Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

You cant enable the option unfortunately because it was never a factory option on the trucks. You cant flash the truck bcm for a escalade suv because the turn signals will quit functioning correctly.

Tech 2 cant enable it anyways even on suv that is something that has to be done through TIS OE programming software.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

hmmm ok... well i think i figured out a way.. i can just use relays off the doors switch for the sides so each side will come out per side that the door is on connected to a relays with built in timers..set the timers to the time it takes the motors to open or close and should work basicly automatic almost like factory.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

You need to diode isolate the door pin's when you do it. If not the back feed 12v through the relay coil to the door pin wire will **** off the BCM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
You cant enable the option unfortunately because it was never a factory option on the trucks. You cant flash the truck bcm for a escalade suv because the turn signals will quit functioning correctly.

Tech 2 cant enable it anyways even on suv that is something that has to be done through TIS OE programming software.
I could have sworn I have seen a few Denali trucks at the dealer with the optional power steps. Never know tho could have been a dealer installed AMP research steps or something. But think I saw the GMC logos on them.

Quick Reply: Adding Factory powered running boards?