Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6.2 swap and keeping vvt solution!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.2 swap and keeping vvt solution!

I see some guys are having trouble with this. I know a lot of guys are swapping a 6.2 and don't know how to make working the vvt on their truck if it wasn't equipped with it from the factory. I have an solution for this and if you know a little bit of wiring, this is fairly easy. There is no need to tear your engine apart and swapping another non-vvt cam in it and changing the timing gear and cover. If you are using the complete wiring harness from the 6.2, there is no need to do steps 1-6, you can jump to step 7. So i am going to do a step by step and hopefully it helps some of you.

1.- If you bought the 6.2 engine complete, most likely it will have this piece of wiring but if not, you will have to get one. Maybe from your local junkyard or if not, from your local chevy dealer: (highlighted in yellow)

2. You also need to have the plug that plugs into the harness i mentioned before.

3. Next connect the three wires that the truck had from the factory with those other three wires(same color) that the 5 pin connector has you just installed. The other two wires that are extra on the 5 pin connector go directly to your ecm on the J2 connector.

4. Remove the cover from the J2 connector like you see in the picture above. Also you have to remove the cover that is located at the bottom of the connector.

5. The two wires that are extra on the 5 pin connector should be a tan and a purple wire.(anyone correct me if im wrong on this one). The tan wire goes to the J2 connector on pin number 52, and the purple wire goes to pin number 15. You will need to have two pins like in the picture below:

6. Insert the pins on the pin numbers i mentioned above and you can start to put everything together and then on to the final step.

7. You need to program your ecm to operate the vvt. Here are a few options: If you have Hp tuners or EFI Live, you can activate the vvt OR you can also drive to your local Chevy dealer and have them(with a vin number of a 6.2) flash the entire tune from a 6.2 onto your ecm.

If you think i missed something here, everyone is welcome to pm me and i will add if necessary.

Thank you! If the picutes dont open, right click on it, click on "open image in new tab"