Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6.2 gmt 900 review

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

2011 GMC SLT SHORT CREW 4x4 6.2 with NHT package.

Absolutely love the truck. The gas mileage is greatabout 18-19 on the highway driving it sanely with cruise on long trips. has awesome power stops like chunking a boat anchor out the window, and handles nicely.

1. Stock tuning sucks (tune is a must)

2. my slt has wood bits mixed with aluminum bits inside (TACKY)

3. Too damm tall feels like I need a CDL and a ladder gettin n an out.

4. Road noise in rear passenger area. I had to dynamat and expanding foam the **** out of everything behind the rear seat and headliner to shut it up.

5. Stock bose sucks ***/ putting in a system to cure that.

6. Stock autostart sucks no way to adjust engine run time and shitty range. (Clifford with smartstart Fixed that problem.)
Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
I love my 2010 chevy LTZ 4x4 6.2. have done exactly what you are talking about and love it. gas mileage is marginal but good for such a big truck (i also have 3.73's so that makes a difference). I have a DMH 2.5" leveling kit (brought it up a hair over 2 inches in the front) and added 33" BFG KM2's. Added a DMH electric cutout for some noise whenever I want it...factory muffler sounds decent. Added some window tint to the front windows too to match the factory dark glass in the rear. Ride is definitely effected by the tires but its still very comfortable.

Still haven't gotten a tune due to possible warranty issues. I added a bugshield to the hood but it makes a lot of noise for some reason; maybe due to the way the wind hits it and then hits the windshield. My damn truck had to go in at 2k miles for smoking on startup and they replaced overaggressive lifters on the side near the PCV system. Other than that, great truck.

What is the acronym NHT?
Hey bro I have a very similar setup (LT 4x4 with 33" DuraTracs, leveling kit, NHT) and I've been averaging 11.5-12.5, but my truck is still under 400 miles. What have you been getting for fuel efficiency and after how many miles did you start observing a consistent average?

Oh, and I can't tell you what each letter stands for, but NHT is the code for the Max Trailering Package on your truck, which includes the 6.2, 3.73s, heavy-duty rear with discs, and heavy-duty cooling.

Last edited by rjwz28; 02-21-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your mileage seems kinda low, are you still on a factory tune?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Man Motor club

Originally Posted by venomhp
your mileage seems kinda low, are you still on a factory tune?
Yeah, I'm still on the factory tune. Right now I'm under 700 miles so a tune isn't in my immediate future.

I just drove on the freeway for 300 miles yesterday, averaging anywhere from 75-85mph for most of the trip. For the first 50 miles, I was indicating an average of 16mpg. After the first 50 miles, I hit 45 minutes of gridlock, which brought my trip average down to 11.2mpg. I don't have an instant mpg display, but I have verified my average economy to be constistant with the average mpg indicated on the display.

Today, I drove my commute to work for the first time in the new truck. My trip averages 40-55 mph, and by the time I got to work I had averaged out to 15.8mpg for the trip. If that is an accurate indicator of what I can expect from my daily commute, than I will have no problem with the fuel economy of my new rig.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

its really odd but for some reason after about 1500 to 2k miles, my mileage went up a noticeable amount from when it was brand new. i always thought that was a myth but turns out its true! power increased as well. now im ready for a tune but dont wanna void the warranty
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey aggie, you got ony pics of your 33" KM2s..
I've been thinkin about getting them for my NNBS with a 3"
Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Man Motor club

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
its really odd but for some reason after about 1500 to 2k miles, my mileage went up a noticeable amount from when it was brand new. i always thought that was a myth but turns out its true! power increased as well. now im ready for a tune but dont wanna void the warranty
We'll see what happens. I definitely wouldn't complain about in increase in power OR mileage if I don't see in inrease in either, it wouldn't bother me; however, I may be looking for a tune once I get over 10k miles. Hey, 6.2 owners with a tune: did your fuel mileage increase after the tune? Or change in any way? Obviously, the point of a custom tune is to increase performance, but I've heard a couple guys mention increased fuel economy with a more tuned-in setup with other engines.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by venomhp
Im off FM96, if you ever see a lifted black 4runner with a front replacement bumper thats me-

The reason Im looking more at the denali are these reasons:
Price-Im looking around 25k with the 6.2 AWD so Ill have an older 07 or 08

its easier to find a denali than an slt with the same motor loaded out and the denali will hold its value better, already has painted to match bumpers and extra goodies.

they didnt put the good drivetrain until 2010 in chevys and I prefer the gmc front facia for some reason

The pimp factor is pretty nice as well and I want to spoil myself before kids show up one day

As for the lift/leveling kit, I hear its a hit or miss if it messes with the AWD or gives vibrations or not so Im still debating a body lift on the hydraulic body mounts and trying to move the hitch up so it doesnt look like ****. Not sure which route Ill go yet
I bought mine over at GAY. I got the SLE with Texas edition (removed all badges though), rearview camera, power pedals, beer window,remote start, denali grill, bedliner, and its a Max trailering truck with all the heavy duty cooling blah blahblah.
After some talking i walked out for 31K.

When my seats wear out i am going to get that Rawlings custom leather installed for 1600. I just wasn't digging the factory leather. Plus my seats are super comfy! I am up and down 45 and 517 all the time hauling ***. Can't miss me. I'm the guy who can't keep his foot off the skinny pedal.Lol
Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
hey aggie, you got ony pics of your 33" KM2s..
I've been thinkin about getting them for my NNBS with a 3"

not the best pic but its all i have for now. will take more when its cleaned up. need to spend a good day and detail it like i do to my Z! with a 3 inch, i'd consider going a bit bigger but it depends on what you use it for. i like the look as it is and its about as big as you can go and still actually use the truck and not have to worry about rubbing in any situation
Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Man Motor club

So far I'm loving my 33" DuraTracs:

Great on the street, only had them off pavement a little but they've done great so far, and no rubbing

Quick Reply: 6.2 gmt 900 review