Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6.2 Denali vs 08-10 f250 diesel - tow rig, road trip mobile. which do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.2 Denali vs 08-10 f250 diesel - tow rig, road trip mobile. which do you think?

So I am looking to pick up a new tow rig/road trip mobile. Will also most likely be a DD for the gf. She is currently DD'ing an E500 mercedes, which we both enjoy, but it just doesnt fit us anymore.

Mpg is of no concern.

My truck just doesnt cut it towing our boat, and it is horrible.I cant stand towing with it. My prev truck was diesel and I want to get back into one badly, but I am beginning to think a 6.2 denali with some goodies will suit us better.

I am beginning to think I do not want 2 trucks, one of them being at least a 3/4 ton, a my truck currently is not the most comfortable to take trips in.

What do you guys think?
edit: I am speaking of denali SUV, not a 1500 truck, just to be clear
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 6.4 is going to out tow that 6.2 no matter what you do to it. Just watch out for the 6.4L fords they had EGR issue that can lead to headgasket failure

First thing i would do on a 6.4 if not already done is egr/dpf delete and a wastegate kit

I would look into a 04.5+ duramax myself
Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You have a 5.3 with 4.88 gears and you have issues towing? I guess my next question is how big is your boat & how much does it weight? I had a 2005 Sierra with just exhaust and custom tune & hydro boost conversion and the 4L60 would gear hunt like crazy. My boat 23ft fully loaded with fuel, boat stuff you know the normal & trailer is about 7,500-8,000lbs, so can I understand your frustration. I now have a 2103 Sierra Denali (same powertrain as the SUV but different rear suspension) with the 6L80 with 3.42 (GM's crap gears again) and it still hunts, but it tows much better than my old 2005, acceleration is much improved, not sure if I like tow haul mode still as it holds gear to long. I still find myself clicking off tow/haul mode and using the throttle to ease off the heavy downshifts up higher grades. I love the comfort of my Denali, the seats are great, and the ride is good even when loaded, oh and the brakes on 2013 & + now use engine & transmission to assist the brakes, even if not in tow haul mode under the right conditions (older models only had it tow/haul mode) it activated once when some chick pulled right out in front of me when exiting the highway with my boat, how then the hell do miss a 23 ft boat with a wake tower? some peoples kids, so yup I tested it and it saved my ***! all's I have to say you know when its activated . The reason I choose to stay with gas over diesel was that I don't think I will go over 8,000lbs and I don't tow any further than 3 hours oh yeah and the price, couldn't say no to a brand new Denali after trade in for 30K at 1.69% APR, diesel is over kill for me. If you want a SUV then wait for the 2015 Yukon Denali's with DI.

I just looked up the 2013-2014 Yukon Denali tow rating | Trailer towing maximum (kg / lb): 3,674 / 8,100. so maybe diesel is a better option, I agree with Timmy pick up a older dmax

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 01-09-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by j.mo
So I am looking to pick up a new tow rig/road trip mobile. Will also most likely be a DD for the gf. She is currently DD'ing an E500 mercedes, which we both enjoy, but it just doesnt fit us anymore.

Mpg is of no concern.

My truck just doesnt cut it towing our boat, and it is horrible.I cant stand towing with it. My prev truck was diesel and I want to get back into one badly, but I am beginning to think a 6.2 denali with some goodies will suit us better.

I am beginning to think I do not want 2 trucks, one of them being at least a 3/4 ton, a my truck currently is not the most comfortable to take trips in.

What do you guys think?
edit: I am speaking of denali SUV, not a 1500 truck, just to be clear
I had an 05 lly duramax with a predator tuner set on 85hp with an intake and 4in magnaflow turbo back exhaust so I know where your comming from. I sold it with 280k and bought an 09 cc4wd, 5.3, flex fuel, 6l80e, 3.42 with factory 20's setup. I then picked up an 07 crownline 21ss lpx with tandem trailer. Nada has it at 3700# dry weight with no railer so it has to be 5000# or so loaded. The 09 just would not pull the boat comfortably and wouldnt shift into 5th gear and even hold 60mph. Well, it didnt take long and I was sick of that crap. I traded it in and got the truck in sig and never looked back. Its amazing what the difference is between them both in and around town at even part throttle acceleration and no comparison when towing the boat. I can cruise in 5th gear at 70mph with no problems whatsoever with 5 people in the truck and all the leggage, oops, I mean luggage that goes with it. I thought Id made a mistake leaving the high priced and expensive maitenance diesel world at first but now I couldnt be happier. I have towed a 16ft car hauler with another crew cab truck on it with no problem whatsoever. Pm me if you have any more questions.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:58 AM
cam
TECH Addict

The 6.2L will do the job, but its not going to loaf through it as easy as the diesel when tow time comes. But the 99% of the rest of the time the Mrs is driving it Im sure it will be a better vehicle to drive around.

Tow vehicles that always tow? Bigger the better, diesel it up. But for the occasional tow? I like the gas.

As for Ferd diesels? Meh.... Duramax wins X2
Old 01-11-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
The 6.2L will do the job, but its not going to loaf through it as easy as the diesel when tow time comes. But the 99% of the rest of the time the Mrs is driving it Im sure it will be a better vehicle to drive around.

Tow vehicles that always tow? Bigger the better, diesel it up. But for the occasional tow? I like the gas.

As for Ferd diesels? Meh.... Duramax wins X2
exactly... I have had a 6.0 power stroke and 2 lly duramax diesels. The trucks were all as equal as can be: cc2wd, same size wheels and tires, same rear gears, same exh, intakes, and tuner. The duramax won hands down for low RPM pulling power and drag racing from a dig. After 120 or so when the powerstroke caught up it was a different story though.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
After 120 or so when the powerstroke caught up it was a different story though.
So as long as they don't open a 1/2 mile dragstrip the d-max is ok.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverado6.2
So as long as they don't open a 1/2 mile dragstrip the d-max is ok.
While I cant comment on the newer powerstrokes I can say Id have a Duramax over a 6.0 powerstroke any day of the week and twice on sunday. The Ford definitely rides and handles better though.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Teching In

They all have their shortcomings. I have a 6.0 Powerstroke and it has been a good truck. I did have the normal issues that were quickly fixed under warranty and haven't had a problem since.

I would take the new 6.4 if you aren't satisfied with your gasser tow vehicle now. And EGR's aren't a major problem on the 6.4's, but there are "bulletproof" versions or deletes that will help out. A 6.4 with a tuner, exhaust, and intake is 550hp and will tow awesome.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much weight would you be towing?
and
will the gf be pleased about warming the diesel up and letting it idle before shutting it down? most girls just wanna turn the key and floor it, get to the mall and shut it down haha

Quick Reply: 6.2 Denali vs 08-10 f250 diesel - tow rig, road trip mobile. which do you think?