Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

2011 silverado 6.2 tranny / NO FORWARD GEARS

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The only catch will be if there are communication differences from the old trucks pcm's to the new ones between trans and pcm com. Once we get a 6.2 in I'm going to try it on my truck and see how it works then do some tuning from there with hp tuners on it.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys 2014 flash won't be possible. These trucks have and use and a different communication architecture than previous models. They use what's called Global A. Less high speed line communication traffic which leads to faster input output transfer speeds. This may add to why those trucks feel so much better when daily driving.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$30,000 question......Could the 6L80E in my 2011 6.2 be tuned to perform even close to the 2014 controlled by the new "Global A" system? I am more than pleased my transmission was fixed under warranty but as I saw the 2014 Silverado 1500 "loaner truck" keys handed to me I said to the girl "oh no way, don't do that to me". She smiled and laughed saying that 3 repair customers purchased 2014's after driving them as loaners. After driving the 2014 for around 10 days I realized I love the looks of my 2011 with the exterior mods,,,,,but no way it could ever be the total package of the 2014. The next generation has evolved greatly, GM did their homework.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

I'm concerned about my issue. I know my TC is bad. I have not been able to feel my clutches slip, so I'm going to just change the converter. I'm happy about not spending the money, but nervous that something else may go after I get it back on the road.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:12 PM

I think the tuning can get close NemesisC5. Probably will take time but there will probably be updates soon to improve. I'm sure GM is getting feedback from customers about the better operating qualities of the 2014 from people that own 2011, 12's and so on. You're probably not the only one. I have a 6L90E to build on Monday so I'll look into the TCM programming and see if there have been any new updates.

And rijrunr if you are worried about your trans go ahead and take it apart if it'll give you piece of mind. Take pics and I'll walk you through everything needed. Keep on mind you probably won't be able to do a complete tear down though. There is a snap ring about as big as your trans case is that holds the 2-6 and low/reverse housing down as well as the output carrier assembly. Unless you have a way to get your hand on this special tool.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TechGM
I think the tuning can get close NemesisC5. Probably will take time but there will probably be updates soon to improve. I'm sure GM is getting feedback from customers about the better operating qualities of the 2014 from people that own 2011, 12's and so on. You're probably not the only one. I have a 6L90E to build on Monday so I'll look into the TCM programming and see if there have been any new updates.
Thank you for your help and advice. I have HP Tuners but have not used it in over 3 years so I decided to get visit HP Tuners forum and look for related threads. None comparing 2014 to previous years but several regarding tuning of the 6L80E and what is obvious is there are people achieving "improved" results via several methods. Different ways to achieve same goal likely means "best practice" may not be known, at least by the ones posting and likely others that tune for themselves. I will continue to read and likely start logging and learning HP Tuners again. I do not want to achieve results via shortcut that may hurt my tranny.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nemisis, I don't know if you've thought of this or not, but have you tried driving a 6L80 truck with a Black Bear tune? I haven't driven a '14 truck (yet), so I don't know how different it is but I was amazed at how the BB tune improved my '11 6.2 compared to stock.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

My 6 speeds awesome now after a bunch of trips to tuning shop tweaking it more and more from it's initial tune. It's day and night difference from crap factory tune in it.

Eliminated TCC lock up gears 1-5 at 55 or less MPH
Changed tcc to full lock up no PWM
Bumped all shift points wayyy up
Set to shift into 5th at 55 or above
Set to shift into 6th at 68 or above
Had them tweak the downshift schedule so it wont hold 6th down to 45 like factory had it set up
Reduced TM by 50%
Upped line pressure to get a nice firm but not harsh shift
Reduced shift time to get a quicker shift out of it

These are what got it to where it's pretty good. I do all highway driving at 65-85 depending on where I'm going so if you do a lot of in town and slow speed it may not be to your liking but perfect for me.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Nemisis, I don't know if you've thought of this or not, but have you tried driving a 6L80 truck with a Black Bear tune? I haven't driven a '14 truck (yet), so I don't know how different it is but I was amazed at how the BB tune improved my '11 6.2 compared to stock.
No I haven't, I'll bet there is someone near or in my hometown with one but I don't know who they may be. I would definitely like to experience an expert tranny tune in 6.2L before I throw the baby out with the bath water

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
My 6 speeds awesome now after a bunch of trips to tuning shop tweaking it more and more from it's initial tune. It's day and night difference from crap factory tune in it.

Eliminated TCC lock up gears 1-5 at 55 or less MPH
Changed tcc to full lock up no PWM
Bumped all shift points wayyy up
Set to shift into 5th at 55 or above
Set to shift into 6th at 68 or above
Had them tweak the downshift schedule so it wont hold 6th down to 45 like factory had it set up
Reduced TM by 50%
Upped line pressure to get a nice firm but not harsh shift
Reduced shift time to get a quicker shift out of it

These are what got it to where it's pretty good. I do all highway driving at 65-85 depending on where I'm going so if you do a lot of in town and slow speed it may not be to your liking but perfect for me.
Sounds like you have it pretty dialed in to your liking. I read about some of the settings you mentioned and many other parameters on HP Tuners forum today. Tranny performance tied all the way back to MAF scaling in ECM to determine expected torque. The better you tune your engine the better it will communicate with TCM and it starts there. So many parameters to 6L80E tune that interact together from my reading thus far nobody seems to know everything. I saw AREA 47 posting there, he seems to know more than most. A razor tune with mods is truly a "work of art"
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

You are dead on the engine tune has to be dead nuts on in order for the tranny to work right. I put a volant on with the stock tune and would get a random mass air performance codes and that's when tranny started doing very odd things at weird times. After the tune and a lot of tweaking it's pretty good I still liked my 4L60 better but I'll live with and keep it as is.