Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

2011 silverado 6.2 tranny / NO FORWARD GEARS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What dealership is your truck at Nemesis?

EDIT: on second thought pm me just to be safe.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No news today, the tranny may be out of the truck but not opened up yet. Tomorrow I will at least know a list of parts that need to be replaced or if tranny is past the repair stage as warranty applies. I'm guessing the moment of truth would be when the dealership submits for warranty repair and if they are instructed to check for reflash. Never been through this before but I guess that could be the protocol. So far they have been proceeding like it is covered under 100k drivetrain warranty but I'm sure dealership will have to obtain repair/replacement approval from GM.

"Bit", can you shed some light on the steps outlining GM warranty process approval / disapproval ?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Almost forgot about the 2014 loaner, after ******* it for three days now the truck has gotten noticeably stronger. The torque band is wide and pulls very good through the gears building revs quickly. With traction control off from a dead stop I lit the tires up good kicking the back end out enough to engage stability control. Seems to have less TM than my 6.2 when it was new. I am impressed with the 5.3 and imagine the 6.2 when released will be a tempting package.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Bit
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be OK as far as warranty, unless GM wants a snap shot of the program numbers. I've never seen them request the numbers on a transmission. Also, we (service manager, the other techs and myself) have wondered and discussed if GM can tell that it has been programmed or tuned, if its turned back to stock. I say no, because the factory file is stored and replaced. I may be wrong.

They have to tear ur transmission apart and find out what all is needed for repair. If the cost to repair is more than a new unit, you get a new one. Some of the hard parts are retarded expensive, so most of the time they will replace the unit. It also cuts down on come backs.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bit
You should be OK as far as warranty, unless GM wants a snap shot of the program numbers. I've never seen them request the numbers on a transmission. Also, we (service manager, the other techs and myself) have wondered and discussed if GM can tell that it has been programmed or tuned, if its turned back to stock. I say no, because the factory file is stored and replaced. I may be wrong.

They have to tear ur transmission apart and find out what all is needed for repair. If the cost to repair is more than a new unit, you get a new one. Some of the hard parts are retarded expensive, so most of the time they will replace the unit. It also cuts down on come backs.
Thanks Bit, I appreciate your input. I'm hoping that this will be the case with my truck. I'm expecting final determination hopefully today but no later than Thursday.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Visited dealership today and they are replacing clutch components and they should arrive tomorrow and have me rolling again. They said no apparent reason for failure and no burnt fluid. Tomorrow I will catch up with the tech that is performing the repair and see if he has any more detail than the service tech. All covered under 100k powertrain warranty.

I continue to be impressed with the 2014 5.3 crew cab loaner I am driving. Today I noticed how smooth and easy the electronic power steering functions and the performance of the transmission is superior to that of my 2011 when new. It downshifts at slightly higher speeds in same gears and upshifts with less transition time. It feels like they removed some TM which makes it leave from a dig with more wheel spin than my 6.2 did when new. It's going to be tough not to buy a 2014 6.2 when they arrive at dealerships!

I'll post an update when I get my truck back.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear warranty got you covered sir!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ Thanks Robert, but today I went to dealership and once it was put back together the same issue remained. I spoke with the repair tech and he said that everything inside looked perfect so instead of replacing clutches that looked fine he replaced the valve body in hope of something inside not functioning properly. Monday he will remove the tranny once more and if he can find nothing that looks worn or out of place they will contact GM and ask for replacement tranny. I asked about the clutches and he said he discussed with service writer but since they looked perfect and the fluid looked and smelled fine he saw no reason to replace clutches. I hope the GM rep they contact has a great weekend and approves a new replacement tranny without issue.

The service writer worked at a Honda dealership before and Honda's policy was never to repair a transmission under warranty but instead replace the unit with a new one. Because a repaired tranny can sometimes be unpredictable like in the case of mine Honda felt it cost effective to replace with new unit to guarantee a properly functioning unit and a happy customer.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's interesting. Keep us posted sir.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Teching In

I work at a Honda dealership and can confirm that with any internal auto transmission issue, under warranty, they will send a reman or new unit. Honda does not want us opening up a trans to find the cause. If they can tell it's been opened they will reject the core and charge it to the dealership.
As far as the dealership being able to tell if the PCM has been reflashed, I don't see how. Other that being able to see if it was reset, clear of DTC's or readiness codes not being complete.
Interested in hearing the results of your dealerships findings as I also have an '11 with a 6.2 that is almost completely stock. Where in TX are you?

Quick Reply: 2011 silverado 6.2 tranny / NO FORWARD GEARS