Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

2010 6.2 crew feels like a turd!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 Tundra 4x2 ext cab with 5.7 for a work truck and a 2010 GMC 6.2 4x4 All Terrain for a personal truck so i get alot of time to comapre. I have done numerous 0-60 tests on both trucks and i have a marked off quartermile strip that i run. For somereason yes the tundra does feel faster thats what peaked my interest cause i almost bought a tundra over my AT but i can say for a fact my AT is everybit as quick at the tundra in both stances. 0-60's range 7.2-7.6 sec. I test drove a platinum tundra b4 getting my AT and ill put it up to that tundra any day of the week
Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
Nothing is "hard" once theres some guidelines to follow. As mentioned in a few posts below you didnt feel like spending another 4 hours on the dyno to perfect it. I know for myself its the many many hours of trial and error in front of me with VVT tuning that Im trying to avoid and now that theres individuals such as yourself tuning and having success theres lots of guys like me drooling for some tips on suggestions. For instance over at the forums at HP tuners its pretty much a given now for optimum ign timing values for pretty much any LS engine. Obviously each specific combination will need unique settings but the basic road map for VVT tuning with GM engines and e38 type PCM's is so far sorely lacking in on line support.

Long story short I for one really appreciate your posts as well as anyone else who has VVT tuning tips.

Area47 and C1 DENALI have you guys posted your tunes over at HP? Also Im assuming your using the latest beta have you run into any hiccups or problems with it that I should watch out for? Thanks fellas
my vvt tinkering comes from 3 years of dealing with cobalts. the only downside of vvt advance is you have to reduce the ignition timing to compensate for it. this reduces the chance of detonation.

as far as me posting my tune on hpt. this isn't going to happen. if you want a specific area to look at in what i tweaked, not a problem. i have been burned way too much in the past with cobalt tuning. people copying my tunes and claiming it as their own. that bridge has long been burned.

as far as the "guidelines" go. i have never been one to follow those. i tend to venture off into another direction and have a knack of making more power than the average bear.

::shrugs::
Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 PM
cam
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Area47
my vvt tinkering comes from 3 years of dealing with cobalts. the only downside of vvt advance is you have to reduce the ignition timing to compensate for it. this reduces the chance of detonation.

as far as me posting my tune on hpt. this isn't going to happen. if you want a specific area to look at in what i tweaked, not a problem. i have been burned way too much in the past with cobalt tuning. people copying my tunes and claiming it as their own. that bridge has long been burned.

as far as the "guidelines" go. i have never been one to follow those. i tend to venture off into another direction and have a knack of making more power than the average bear.

::shrugs::
Thats cool Im still just dicking around with it I havent gone far enough yet to ask specifics but when i do I will ask if I need to thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam
Thats cool Im still just dicking around with it I havent gone far enough yet to ask specifics but when i do I will ask if I need to thanks.
not a problem man. i do have a pm box
Old 11-04-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cam
Nothing is "hard" once theres some guidelines to follow. As mentioned in a few posts below you didnt feel like spending another 4 hours on the dyno to perfect it. I know for myself its the many many hours of trial and error in front of me with VVT tuning that Im trying to avoid and now that theres individuals such as yourself tuning and having success theres lots of guys like me drooling for some tips on suggestions. For instance over at the forums at HP tuners its pretty much a given now for optimum ign timing values for pretty much any LS engine. Obviously each specific combination will need unique settings but the basic road map for VVT tuning with GM engines and e38 type PCM's is so far sorely lacking in on line support.

Long story short I for one really appreciate your posts as well as anyone else who has VVT tuning tips.

Area47 and C1 DENALI have you guys posted your tunes over at HP? Also Im assuming your using the latest beta have you run into any hiccups or problems with it that I should watch out for? Thanks fellas
I haven't posted my tune on HPT's site. I have an HPT cable, but ended up using a friends EFI live to tune my truck. he's very good at tuning the LS motors and we are still playin with the tune, although we haven't messed with it much in recent months, because I've been concentrating on another project. I'm not saying my tune is the greatest or anything, in fact far from it, but when I get it to the point where I feel it's decent, I'll be more than happy to post it.
And to the topic at hand - I don't know if a Tundra can beat a stock 6.2. But I have a friend who got one right before I got my truck, and he didn't have the nuts to run me when I was stock and he damn sure couldn't get near my truck now. That's the real beauty of these trucks - there's so much that you can gain from just a tune and there's a whole bunch of aftermarket parts you can bolt on to make them faster. When was the last time you heard of a guy picking up 70+ HP from changing the cam(s!) in his Tundra??
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
cam
TECH Addict

Awesome thanks guys. I'm not presently working on it now but I will likely be in touch when i get to it again. Probably after the Xmas holidays.

As for Tundra vs 6.2??? Ummm yeah ok sure the Tundorians are quick stock but they have dinky axles in comparison and just as CI DENALI mentioned for less than a grand you could easily make a 6.2L walk any stock Tundra so bad it would be an embarrassment. The true glory of GM engines imo is not the stock capabilities but the mind blowing aftermarket support and low cost for such high gains. Now that grand I mentioned could be as low as a few hundred bucks if you have your own tuning suite and can do your own wrenching. A 6.2L with a ported tb and decent cold air intake coupled with a premium fuel tune will be as big of a jump over a stock 6.2L as a stock 6.2 is over a stock 5.3

Now add longtubes, cam, and you can likely hit 12's

Or add some boost like a rear mount STS or maggie and forget about 12's you'll walk into the 11's

All LS engines have sooooo much more potential than they do stock with very little effort or cost.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

These trucks have changing personalitys,my second tank of fuel I topped it off with premium.at less than 1/2 a tank I started honken on it,it would easly boil the tires.And walk into it fast enough so it dont shift into 2nd ,it could breakem loose when it hit the power band.The next tank I filled with mid grade.After that it it chirps them for 5ft.Couple days ago went with premium again,put 100 miles on this tank and it will not roast em like it once did.Hey tuners are you getting these to be more responsive? Throttle slow to react.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
cam
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
These trucks have changing personalitys,my second tank of fuel I topped it off with premium.at less than 1/2 a tank I started honken on it,it would easly boil the tires.And walk into it fast enough so it dont shift into 2nd ,it could breakem loose when it hit the power band.The next tank I filled with mid grade.After that it it chirps them for 5ft.Couple days ago went with premium again,put 100 miles on this tank and it will not roast em like it once did.Hey tuners are you getting these to be more responsive? Throttle slow to react.
Thats torque management messing with you. Get a tune and these mystery fast/slow for no reason issues will go away
Old 11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is the exact same way... i find its slowest after i fill up the tank.. but i always run 93.. and yes a bone stock truck will haze the tires from a 10-20 roll.... (sometimes its like he said its different everytime.. but its getting better and better)
Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Launching!

My 6.2 truck is still basically stock save for a k&n drop in and corsa catback. I just hit 6k not long ago and it seems to me the truck has picked up some power so maybe there is some truth to letting it break in first. I plan on headers and a tune this winter and possibly a small stall and 4.10's but we will see.

Quick Reply: 2010 6.2 crew feels like a turd!