Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

2010 6.2 crew feels like a turd!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now my working but from another site. I am just passing along information.

Things To Watch Out For
One potential VVT problem is that the ECU assumes the use of a mild cam, permitting a fairly large latitude of advance and retard. This can cause piston/valve interference issues when installing an aftermarket cam with more duration, overlap, and lift. Workarounds include reflashing the factory computer to tighten up the allowable range of cam movement, adding a mechanical phase-limiting device, and/or installing custom pistons with deeper valve notches.

Valvespring configuration is also critical on VVT engines. Hydraulically actuated phasers are susceptible to over-aggressive valvespring seat pressures, which may overwhelm the oil pressure-generated hydraulic forces needed to correctly actuate the phaser mechanism. With the factory computer, this generates a fault code and puts the cam into full retard. Special valvesprings are therefore required that can support a hotter cam without overwhelming the VVT system.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:22 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give it some more miles.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nitrobusa
Ok,I bought a new 2010 crew cab 6.2 yesterday and it feels like a damn turd! I traded in a 2008 Tundra crewmax with a intake and exhaust on it. By all means the Tundra will smoke this truck. No questions about it. I didnt have the option to drive one before I purchased it since there was no dealers in the area with one available. Can someone tell me WTF is going on. Maybe I got a lemon or something......

Truck is a 2010 Crew with 6.2 ordered it with 3.73 gears and of course its an A6.
I would love to hear how this all turns out. I have driven several tundras and they are very fast. You can flame me all you want, off the show room floor there is not a faster truck that is mass produced. The dodge is faster but to me that is a limited niche truck.

Please keep us posted, this is the only case that I know of where someone went from a tundra to the new 6.2. I'd like to know just how much you have to spend to get the GM as fast as the trundra is stock.

GM does choke the hell out of their trucks but they are pretty much idiot proof for 100,000 miles if you leave them stock. (but very crappy for performance) A live tune on a dyno is best but a mail order one will help a ton. Good luck, love to see some pics.

Russ
Old 04-16-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by yurs78
I would love to hear how this all turns out. I have driven several tundras and they are very fast. You can flame me all you want, off the show room floor there is not a faster truck that is mass produced. The dodge is faster but to me that is a limited niche truck.

Please keep us posted, this is the only case that I know of where someone went from a tundra to the new 6.2. I'd like to know just how much you have to spend to get the GM as fast as the trundra is stock.

GM does choke the hell out of their trucks but they are pretty much idiot proof for 100,000 miles if you leave them stock. (but very crappy for performance) A live tune on a dyno is best but a mail order one will help a ton. Good luck, love to see some pics.

Russ
you need to spend the cost of a tune,
if you live somewhere that has a good tuning/dyno shop you are in
if not you need nelson/wheatley/blackbear etc to do a mail order exchange pcm.
or you can get hpt or efi-live and do email tunes.

this engine has so much potential, it is sad what gm needs to do to protect themselves from
warranty issues and cafe ratings

I have driven them all in anger and my lightly modded 6.2 spanks em
stock tune Sucks, no getting around it.
beyond that, i honestly think the stock 6.2 is atleast equal to a tundra
Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
i wanna see 12.5 outta a VVT 6.2 in a CCSB NO SPRAY/FI then ill trust in the VVT. oh an it has to have 25k+ miles lol i just have a hard time trusting a spring..thats all.
it'll be a while but i'll get there... or break the vvt trying! and if i do break it i'll convert to a genIII style cam setup. but from what i've been looking up they have been only been looking to make the vvt better/stronger, surely its only a matter of time before someone has some kind of upgraded or aftermarket phaser just for these applications. just like anything with my truck that isn't "known" to have a problem, if its not something that is a known weaklink or common breakage i'll leave it be until i find otherwise
Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

I took the truck back to the dealer today because things just didnt seem right. One of the techs has the same truck and drove mine for awhile. he even agreed that it was not running like its supposed to. Looks like when they put gas in the truck someone put 87 octane instead of 93. It had ALOT of timing removed and the knock was real high. I ran all of the gas out and filled it up with 93 this afternoon. Going to put some more miles on it this weekend and change the oil tomorrow. It should have 800 miles by tomorow afternoon. I will keep ya posted on this one.

There was a few reasons why I got rid of the Tundra
1. My lease was up next month.
2. 38,000 miles on the odometer and the tranny was starting to act up.
3. The dash had some rattles in it that I just couldnt stand anymore.
4. My brakes squeaked like hell
5. I had the front end aligned 5 times in 36,000 miles and it always would get out of wack!

No, I never took the truck to the track to see what it would run. I only raced 1 person and that was my buddies TB SS from a dig. he got me by 1-2 cars untill 85ish.

I'm getting the truck tuned on Wednesday, hope it wakes up........
Old 04-17-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

87!!!! wth.

that things gonna wake up after that tune man, your gonna be happy.
do your basic bolt ons an youll be very happy
Old 04-17-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Glad to hear that it should be a simple fix.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone have a speedo video from a dig in a lightly modded 6.2 w/ 6 speed tranny?(tune, headders, intake, stock stall and cam) I've seen a couple of videos on youtube of stock 5.3's and they are slow. The video would really help to see how much those trucks wake up with some changes.

Last edited by yurs78; 04-17-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: clarity of question
Old 04-17-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by yurs78
Does anyone have a speedo video from a dig in a lightly modded 6.2 w/ 6 speed tranny?(tune, headders, intake, stock stall and cam) I've seen a couple of videos on youtube of stock 5.3's and they are slow. The video would really help to see how much those trucks wake up with some changes.
myself or Mark will do that.
I am waiting on vararam to send my intake, once I get that, I, with Mark's help will finish my tune.
Not to be repetitive, these things rock.
Tune only is the key.

Quick Reply: 2010 6.2 crew feels like a turd!