Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

1 peice dshaft to a 2 peice dshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i want 12.5-12.7 all motor, then if i decide to put the spray ill be looking for 11.99-12.0
Old 07-08-2010, 04:32 PM

well i have an update, ive been busy with work and getting my gears installed. so here we go.

the 2 peice is in as far as a mock up. i need a pinion angle dial so i can make sure everything is straight. i have it half *** mocked up for the front shaft to be inline with the tranny. i can't set the rear end pinion angle until i buy my drop kit but i can live with it.
the rear yoke isnt the same as ours on the 08s, they have stops on the inside of the caps to keep them from walking side to side. i need new yokes, and for it to be high speed balanced which is ok. i will also be fabbing up a new shim mount to allow easy access to the carrier bearing bolts.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you set up the carrier bearing at the same angle as the tail shaft of the trans (negative angle) or at a neutral angle (0 angle from center)?

And when setting up the carrier to pinion angle, do you want to keep the same angle? Like for example, if the tail shaft to carrier was -3°, would you try to get the carrier to pinion at +3°, or does that even matter as long as it's not a totally jacked up angle?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 PM

tail shaft to carrier (front shaft) has to be 0* your rear drive shaft angle say its -2* off of the carrier bearing then your rear end has to be +2* to cancel itself out.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you done yet?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:47 PM

nope im on nights an i only worked on it a half hour today. just long enough to see they rear ujoints are different and my pinion seal is leaking so i gotta get that fixed before i can do much else.
im going to replace my carrier bearing, the ujoints that i can do on my own then take the old drive shaft and the new drive shaft to the shop and see if they have a ujoint that i need.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 PM

well Advance Auto/Napa/Autozone/Blues Automotive do not have my A/C line so i wasted my day riding around looking for it. well the pinion seal is swapped out, i guess i got in a rush and nicked the seal putting the yoke back. it had a small nick in it, which caused it to leak.

now all i need is a pinion dial and a small level to make sure i got everything lined out. then it'll be finished the ujoints and everything will get lined out monday i think. all depends on what kind of sleep i get sunday night at work.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a/c line you need? i've got some stock lines at work. tri-state refergerant can make whatever you need. thats who we use. they're across from sams on airline near greenwell springs
Old 07-10-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

i have an 05 crew with the one piece, ive had to 141 mph, ( back before i knew they were blowing apart, i had it speed balanced thouch twice when i was having vibration problems 4 years ago, 180,000 miles and over 200 drag strip runs, no breakage yet, had it dynoed before cam and blower, just bolt ons with 4.56s, ran in third to 134ish, didnt go, i was scared though. i havent had the final dyno tune, just street tune with new mods, because now im scared, im going for this 2 piece too, i think ive just been lucky with mine, or having it speed balanced way back when helped out.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by lowoh8
what a/c line you need? i've got some stock lines at work. tri-state refergerant can make whatever you need. thats who we use. they're across from sams on airline near greenwell springs
its for my 94 chevy, the damn line got a small cut in it and it wouldnt hold freon *found that out after 100.00 in freon was spent* well Advance ordered it, i went to get it today, the **** is wrong, so they ordered another one after actually checking the damn part numbers. so tuesday i should have AC in the WT an i will be happy driving it to work/around without having to put a ton of miles on my CC.

i heard of balancing the stock shaft, but HONESTLY i will not waste my time with this POS 1 peice. i picked up a 6" composite digital caliper, Magnetic angle finder, a magnetic level too. since the 20s i was suppose to buy Monday are f'd beyond repair imo, i will be spending the cash to have everything on the 2 peice replaced. high speed balanced, 1350 u-joints, carrier bearing, ill even paint the **** lol. im off Mon-Wed next week, so i will finish it up before then or during those days off.

Quick Reply: 1 peice dshaft to a 2 peice dshaft