Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What is this noise about a black box on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaTime
I've written my representatives, but remember, they never even read the letters, a staffer does. It takes a slew of letters to get a representative to do anything about it. I think the real issue is that the general public is not aware of these black boxes installed in vehicles. The dealer sure as hell doesn't say anything about it, and there is no mention of it in your owner's manual, etc.

I don't really do anything illegal except for the occasionally hauling on the highway and/or maybe whipping a ford at a reasonable speed. Of course they can track your vehicle, it has a dedicated power source and is large enough where you wouldn't even know it! I'm just waiting for the day that you go in for an inspection, they read your OBD port and then the police mail you tickets for every time you exceeded 70-75 miles per hour. If they can install red light cameras, they can certainly write tickets based on your PCM readings.
I have read all of these threads .Let me just set the record straight.There are no "black boxes" in any GM vehicles or any other vehicles that i know of.In the event of air bag deployment certain things will be stored in the SDM.A SDM is the sensing and diagnosis module for the air bag system.I am pretty sure that the Gm system works just like most auto manufactors.Also there is no way to disable it (that is unless you wanna have no air bags,and i sir light glow on your dash).The whole reason that Gm does this is for crash analyisis.I have never heard of any cases of an insurance company trying to download info after a crash at all.I hope this info helps guys.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NovaTime
You can be tracked by cell phone towers, but they can't give a GPS coordinate...yet. In the Scott Peterson case, they were tracking him by cellular telephone. If you are worried about being tracked, there is nothing you can do about it when your phone is on, especially with a GSM phone as all the new technology is being made for GSM (global system for mobil telephones). On the flip side, if something happens to you, that is damn good news.

Concerning the truck, it isn't like my cell phone that I can turn off, and this pisses me off. Does anyone know where it is so that I can remove it?

GSM is exactly what im talking about. I have had it for over a year and a half

Originally Posted by marc_w
I'm not worried about OnStar either.

You can hear that thing dial up when you turn it on. It took them a few moments to locate where I was, when my girlfriend rang them up to ask for directions. I don't think it's something they're going to be running full-time on us.

Another case: A friend of mine works at a salvage yard. He turned the keys on a crashed vehicle to get the ODO reading off of it. OnStar dialed up, and an operator came on asking about the crash, and if everyone is okay. My friend explained the car was crashed a few weeks back, and it's at a salvage yard now. To me, it doesn't sound like they have the capability to accurately track any certain vehicle, nevermine all XXX,XXX thousand vehicles running it.

GPS has what is called a fix on the satellites 100% of the time even with the car off. The only way to release is to disconnect the battery. You are connected all the time, how do you think they open your doors if you call them? The dialing thing is just verifying your service with onstar.

Maybe they cant track all the BILLIONS of people, but whos to say that they wont track YOU.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

GSM is not a new technology, it is just a standard. The problem is that all new features are being developed for GSM and TDMA is going by the way side. GPS can only track you if there is line of sight to the satellite. In other words, it couldn't find your car in a garage.

Lo jack is different because it is radio based.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
GPS has what is called a fix on the satellites 100% of the time even with the car off. The only way to release is to disconnect the battery. You are connected all the time, how do you think they open your doors if you call them? The dialing thing is just verifying your service with onstar.

Maybe they cant track all the BILLIONS of people, but whos to say that they wont track YOU.
.......The GPS antenna can be disconnected. That'll stop that.

Why in the world would they bother tracking me? Or any of us... unless you're up to suspicious activity?

I'm more worried about a rock falling out of the sky and bonking me on the head.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
All existance as we know it will be turned upside down and inside out. Day will become night, the sun will burn cold, water won't feel wet and nothng other than chicken will taste like chicken... Don't do it bro, it will make baby Jesus sad.

I see what you guys are saying butI highly doubt there is much that can be done about privacy. I was recently watching a show on Discovery where they said the average American is caught on video survailance 70+times a day. Europeans are caught about 300+times a day.. We're always being watched. Now it's not a prying type of voyuer type thing but if you think you are alone and pick your nose chances are good someone could have saw it if they were watching the screen.
Yeah so you better think twice before you eat your boogers!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so is this true or not? the x files
Old 12-29-2004, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hate to sound like a paranoid psycho, but has anyone here ever heard of ruby ridge? The FBI saw a few extra gun purchases , and the next thing you know, they raid a guys home and kill part of his family. I feel sorry for those of you with the "why would they watch me" attitude. The problem isn't whether or not someone could or would want to be monitoring your activities, the problem is whether they have the right to keep you under any form of permanent surveillance. I for one do not want my driving habits recorded, no matter what the reason.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:53 AM
Launching!

How do I find out if this "black box" has been installed on my truck and how do I disable it?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is no separate "black box". The computer records certain info, depending on which vehicle you have. Some are very obvious, such as most cadillacs and the new gto that have screens which display avg mpg and speed. Those obviously would have to record some info in order to make the calculations necessary to display fuel economy and average speed. Other vehicles are not so obvious, but I'm guessing that any OBDII compliant vehicle records some info. As to turning it off, you would have better luck expecting internet privacy. The only real choice beyond strangling your congressman is going back to an aftermarket engine management system, if you don't want your driving habits recorded. Just think, one day your shrink can tell how paranoid you are by the number of carbureted vehicles you own.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

i thought you might have been talking about the insurance companys installing a box on your car to record driving habits...i saw this on tv not to long ago..its voluntary right now in some states.they were saying that if you show them good driving habits that they will give you a big discount on your premium...but that if you dont have good driving skills that it would NOT have any affect on your premium...i think thats total bs...they present it to the states as a good thing till they get it in and then everybodys cost are gonna go thru tha roof..you know how it is right now..they try to gouge you for anything they can get so its just a big smoke screen for them to hammer you...comming soon to a state near you!!!

Quick Reply: What is this noise about a black box on our cars?