Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What is this noise about a black box on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaTime
It's like a sandwitch guys, the take a little piece at a time and you will say "not a big deal" until one day you look down and see that these people have eaten your entire sandwitch. Doing something wrong or not isn't the point. The point is that you paid for this truck and it shouldn't be monitoring any part of your driving habits if you don't want it to. You would not want some covert device installed in your house to watch how many hours you sat on the couch, because it is YOUR house.

I feel the same way about my truck. Whether I do something wrong or not is irrelevant, but what is relevant is that I am being monitored without my consent. The technology is here to monitor every minute aspect of your life, whether you realize it or not. I think privacy is worth fighting for
I agree with this. It is another way to save big business money, ie another way to have the insurance company you pay big bucks to every month for the last 10-20 years to deny your claim. Whos going to protect my rights when I have to swerve to avoid a semi and go off the road. Nope, insurance isnt going to cover this since you were driving erratically. When was the last time you heard of a big murder, car theft, or any other criminal infraction settled over cell phone traces or any of these other invasions of civil privacy??
Old 11-16-2004, 03:11 PM
MRR
Teching In

Originally Posted by NovaTime
It's like a sandwitch guys, the take a little piece at a time and you will say "not a big deal" until one day you look down and see that these people have eaten your entire sandwitch. Doing something wrong or not isn't the point. The point is that you paid for this truck and it shouldn't be monitoring any part of your driving habits if you don't want it to. You would not want some covert device installed in your house to watch how many hours you sat on the couch, because it is YOUR house.

I feel the same way about my truck. Whether I do something wrong or not is irrelevant, but what is relevant is that I am being monitored without my consent. The technology is here to monitor every minute aspect of your life, whether you realize it or not. I think privacy is worth fighting for
Just because you "Paid" for your truck, does not give you the right to drive it in an unsafe manner. Causing an accident that detroys other people's property or kills or injures somesone because you did something wrong, is certainly not "Irrelevant"
Old 11-16-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

dude, did you not read a word that I wrote? The issue here is not about reckless driving, the issue is about privacy and consent to install monitoring equipment installed in my vehicle. By calling my driving habits irrelevant to the situation, I mean that the issue is not about anyone's driving habits, but the principle of the matter. I firmly believe that this is not being done to determine the cause of accidents, but is another ploy by insurance companies to raise your premiums and/or deny claims and dealers to deny vehicle warranty.

Wouldn't you be upset if your insurance company raised your premiums because you accelerated quickly occasionally, but otherwise had a sterling driving record?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Angry

I'm sure everyone here has experienced a computer glitch before. How would you like the information retrieved after a wreck to be incorrect? What do you think the results would be if your little black box showed that you hit the gas instead of the brakes before a collision? Or what about the day when the cop who pulls you over plugs into your OBD port to determine that you were in fact traveling over the speed limit? Never mind that you may have swapped gears and hadn't corrected the speedo yet. BTW, how many people have died to protect our constitutionally guaranteed right to privacy?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

One time I got so whacked out and paranoid I thought the Police were going to kick in my door and arrest me. (I had a portable police scanner on my belt!) I tried to move a 55 gallon aquarium on a stand to block the front door and hold them off while I ran out the back door. Three hours later, after pulling up the carpet and throwing out half of the **** in my apartment, I realized that it was only paranoia. The moral of the story is, I was a nut and therefore deserving of the consequences. I don't live like that anymore, thank God.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

hard drives are getting smaller and smaller with huge capacity. It would be easy to permanently record outliers such as top speed and braking distance, and also to record your regular driving for a certain amount of time...all downloadable through your OBD port. This type of stuff should be stopped now, rather than when a law passes allowing it.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, I understand the invasion of privacy concerns, but why gripe about it just here? Better to gripe to your congressional representatives. If enough people complain, laws will be passed to prohibit this kind of thing. Better still, get a campaign going to alert people of the situation, and facilitate their protesting if they desire to do so. Government HAS listened to public objections in the past when enough people complained, and it will again.

BTW, just as a side note, did anyone ever think invasion of privacy would end at drug testing?

GMC_DUDE
Old 11-17-2004, 12:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I wear a tin foil hat while driving my GM vehicles so they can't read my thoughts!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I wear a tin foil hat while driving my GM vehicles so they can't read my thoughts!
LMFAO!

OK First off my days of being Paranoid are long gone(well 4-5 years anyway) but like the next guy I dont want anyone "knowing what I do" unless I want them to. I think these "Black Boxs" are a good thing only if it wont and or cant be used to track me. And since its kind of hard to believe that these same boxes dont have the ability to be used this way Im still leary of them. The only reason I say Im for them is because of my Family ,Daughter, and friends. Why you ask? Because if God forbid I or any of you for that matter get in a wreck that kills us or someone we are with get kills and there was some sort of failure with the automobile want my family to know about this and get paid. Or say the cops claim it was a drunk driving fatality or that I was high if there is even a little bit of info on there that can clear my name for my family and daughter then Im for it. But since it is hard to believe that they dont have the ability to tracking tools or whatever Im against it at this time. Even though Im not doing anything illegal(except a little street racing) I used to and I know how it feels. The thing is that technology is really cheap to these manufactors(its not for use though) and most people wouldnt think twice about it or even know that there was a "Black Box" in their ride!
Old 11-17-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

I've written my representatives, but remember, they never even read the letters, a staffer does. It takes a slew of letters to get a representative to do anything about it. I think the real issue is that the general public is not aware of these black boxes installed in vehicles. The dealer sure as hell doesn't say anything about it, and there is no mention of it in your owner's manual, etc.

I don't really do anything illegal except for the occasionally hauling on the highway and/or maybe whipping a ford at a reasonable speed. Of course they can track your vehicle, it has a dedicated power source and is large enough where you wouldn't even know it! I'm just waiting for the day that you go in for an inspection, they read your OBD port and then the police mail you tickets for every time you exceeded 70-75 miles per hour. If they can install red light cameras, they can certainly write tickets based on your PCM readings.

Quick Reply: What is this noise about a black box on our cars?